Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2019, 01:19 AM   #1

P67 ttl pentaprism finder better than 6x7 ttl pentaprism?

I have a p6x7 ttl pentapism finder, but it's broken.

So I'm going to buy a new finder, and will the new p67 ttl finder perform better than the p6x7 ttl finder?

(for example : More accurate exposure, Brighter screen)

I want someone to help me.

04-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No it is not usable on the 6x7 only on the newer body 67II
04-01-2019, 07:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
No it is not usable on the 6x7 only on the newer body 67II
Thank you. But I know that p6x7 and p67 finder are compatible.

I saw several photos of P67 ttl pentaprim finder on body of P6x7.

I don't understand that it's only available for P67-ii.

Are you sure what you're saying? I'm confused.
04-01-2019, 08:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry but no

PENTAX 67II AE Pentaprism Finder reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

04-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
I finally understood what you were saying.

My question is whether the Pentax ttl finder(not the 'P67ii' ttl finder you linked to me) has better performance than the Old Asahi-Pentax ttl finder .

I'm sorry. I couldn't ask the exact question either.

PENTAX 6x7 TTL Pentaprism Finder reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review DatabasePENTAX 67 TTL Pentaprism Finder reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
04-01-2019, 11:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bjun Quote
Thank you. But I know that p6x7 and p67 finder are compatible.
I saw several photos of P67 ttl pentaprim finder on body of P6x7.
I don't understand that it's only available for P67-ii.
Are you sure what you're saying? I'm confused.
Gary Wakeling is correct.
You can freely substitute TTL meter prisms between the older (1969-era) and newer (1989-1990-era) cameras, that being the Pentax 6x7 and other variants (1969) and the Pentax 67 (the later model).
But--
You cannot use the TTL meter prism intended for the Pentax 67ii on the older Pentax 6x7 / 67 bodies. Why? Apart from the electronics and design, the 67ii meter prism has a lot of metering and switching systems that are entirely absent in the original Pentax 6x7 / 67 cameras.

---------- Post added 2nd Apr 2019 at 06:07 PM ----------

I finally understood what you were saying.

My question is whether the Pentax ttl finder(not the 'P67ii' ttl finder you linked to me) has better performance than the Old Asahi-Pentax ttl finder .
Well, that clears up one point.
The finder you mentioned, the very old Asahi-Pentax (and older Honeywell), is frequently implicated with derangement or intermittent/poor (erroneous) performance as a consequence of age (do the math: how many years ago did these things come out?). A much better option is to look specifically for the newer Pentax 67 (not 6x7) finder, preferably in very good to excellent condition -- research carefully. The better the condition of the prism, the higher the price you should expect to pay.

There will not be an increase in viewfinder brightness. If you want that, use a waist-level finder or a chimney finder with adjustable diotric corrrection; both of these options will also provide 100% coverage of the viewfinder, while the TTL prisms (metered or not) provide only 90% coverage.

Separate (handheld) metering
The TTL meter prism on the Pentax 6x7 and 67 cameras meters down to 1 second over a 5-stop range. There will be times, no doubt, when your scene dictates an exposure longer than this, hence the need to tool up with a hand-held meter to take over where the camera left off. A hand-held meter will also be required if using a chimney- or waist-level finder in place of the TTL metering prism.

Last edited by Silent Street; 04-02-2019 at 02:05 AM.
04-02-2019, 01:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[/url]
So Sorry I misunderstood too, with the age of the 67 and 6x7 prisms they use fairly old electronic components and I have read that sometimes it might be better to use a non ttl prism and an external meter for exposure. They are a wonderful camera and I wish you well with your search for a replacement .
Gary

---------- Post added 04-02-19 at 08:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Gary Wakeling is correct.
You can freely substitute TTL meter prisms between the older (1969-era) and newer (1989-1990-era) cameras, that being the Pentax 6x7 and other variants (1969) and the Pentax 67 (the later model).
But--
You cannot use the TTL meter prism intended for the Pentax 67ii on the older Pentax 6x7 / 67 bodies. Why? Apart from the electronics and design, the 67ii meter prism has a lot of metering and switching systems that are entirely absent in the original Pentax 6x7 / 67 cameras.

---------- Post added 2nd Apr 2019 at 06:07 PM ----------

Well, that clears up one point.
The finder you mentioned, the very old Asahi-Pentax (and older Honeywell), is frequently implicated with derangement or intermittent/poor (erroneous) performance as a consequence of age (do the math: how many years ago did these things come out?). A much better option is to look specifically for the newer Pentax 67 (not 6x7) finder, preferably in very good to excellent condition -- research carefully. The better the condition of the prism, the higher the price you should expect to pay.

There will not be an increase in viewfinder brightness. If you want that, use a waist-level finder or a chimney finder with adjustable diotric corrrection; both of these options will also provide 100% coverage of the viewfinder, while the TTL prisms (metered or not) provide only 90% coverage.
Silent Street, so good to see another 67 user from down under, looking at your signature I am just a little envious of your 75mm 2.8...........one day I will find one at a price I can afford

04-02-2019, 06:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all for giving me a good opinion.

I need to think more.
04-02-2019, 08:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Separate (handheld) metering
The TTL meter prism on the Pentax 6x7 and 67 cameras meters down to 1 second over a 5-stop range. There will be times, no doubt, when your scene dictates an exposure longer than this, hence the need to tool up with a hand-held meter to take over where the camera left off. A hand-held meter will also be required if using a chimney- or waist-level finder in place of the TTL metering prism.
Ditto, my recommendation as well. Get a hand held light meter, you will be "liberated" from having to use the old flaky 6x7/67 TTL metering system.

Phil.
04-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It is still possible to find new TTL prisms labeled PENTAX and the mint ones are not too hard to find either. If you are going to opt for one of these prisms, make sure it is of the condition I just mentioned.
04-02-2019, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Ditto, my recommendation as well. Get a hand held light meter, you will be "liberated" from having to use the old flaky 6x7/67 TTL metering system.

Phil.

Phil,
I cannot remember when I last used/relied on the TTL prism meter for an exposure. It is virtually there as a "paperweight" on the camera -- something to give the beast a complete look. The Sekonic is the workhorse that does all the metering stuff anywhere and everywhere. I don't have the time nor inclination to second-guess what an ancient camera meter is suggesting!