Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Filter systems for 645z

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am looking to upgrade my filter system for my 645Z. I have been looking at Breakthrough, NISI, KASE, and Progrey.

My lenses on the wide size start with the DFA 28-45 and everything north of that that would utilize the same filter kit.

I’m passing on threaded filters at this point as filter systems have come a long way technologically in the past few year in the square formats. Prices are quite high but they do the job if well taken care of. Studying filter performance and specs is one thing but knowing what users in the field experience is even more valuable.

Would other 645z members kindly share their experiences with 100mm or 150mm kits.

Thanks,

Stephen

EDIT: After considerable research I ended up going with Kase's Wolverine slim filter system. Some rudimentary images as a quick test for neutral color are posted below. Just some grab shots as further testing will be done shortly. Very good neutrality, no vignetting, and excellent light transmission, even through three filters.

Last edited by SCGushue; 04-08-2019 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Updating info
04-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

For holding a piece of optical glass or resin in front of your lenses this product is not too shabby and quality exceeds the price IMHO
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zomei-Multifunction-Square-Adapter-suitable/dp/B077...E67T5DMTM1GC1H
Not a Lee of course but neither is the price.

Zomei also manufacture glass and resin filters to fit which may be worth a look if budget tight or you want to play before investing in ‘better’ quality?
E.g.
Zomei package

Last edited by TonyW; 04-02-2019 at 09:23 AM.
04-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #3

I've used the 100mm Firecrest series from Hitech. I was very happy with it. You can see ND/polar usage here: Swiss2 ? Darren Lewey
04-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Jim Kasson likes Breakthrough

'nuff said for me.

04-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
'nuff said for me.
I too have been impressed with many of the reviews I have read about Breakthrough. Do you use the 100 or 150mm filters with the 645z. More precisley, do you use them with a DFA 28-45? If 100mm, do you see any vignetting in combo with.CP?

Stephen

---------- Post added 04-02-2019 at 05:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by moroccanimager Quote
I've used the 100mm Firecrest series from Hitech. I was very happy with it. You can see ND/polar usage here: Swiss2 ? Darren Lewey
I use the ND’s and CP combos often. I am trying to get away from screw mount filters and looked at the HItech too.

BTW, a beautiful image... poetry to me.

Stephen

---------- Post added 04-02-2019 at 05:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
For holding a piece of optical glass or resin in front of your lenses this product is not too shabby and quality exceeds the price IMHO
Zomei Multifunction fitre 150 * 100 mm Square 100 *: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Not a Lee of course but neither is the price.

Zomei also manufacture glass and resin filters to fit which may be worth a look if budget tight or you want to play before investing in ‘better’ quality?
E.g.
Zomei package
Thank you for the heads up. It might work, but i think that some of the more advanced systems have easier on/off lens mounting with magnetic polarizer attachments.

Stephen

Last edited by SCGushue; 04-02-2019 at 06:19 PM.
04-03-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
I too have been impressed with many of the reviews I have read about Breakthrough. Do you use the 100 or 150mm filters with the 645z. More precisley, do you use them with a DFA 28-45? If 100mm, do you see any vignetting in combo with.CP?

Stephen
I haven't used them yet. I've got one polarizer and then some HiTech stuff for ND and grad ND----but just after I got them I changed up what I was shooting mostly and so haven't used them much. But Jim Kasson (check him in the Medium Format forum at that notorious site, and definitely check out his website(s) is the guy to trust about these. But he is not using Pentax but Fuji. Still, he's worth checking. I am about to get very soon at least a Pola and an ND , and based on what he has said it will be Breakthrough's. Also, I don't have the 28-45 but the 25, which has internal filters.
04-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thank you for the heads up. It might work, but i think that some of the more advanced systems have easier on/off lens mounting with magnetic polarizer attachments.

Stephen
No problem and you are welcome. I agree that there are more sophisticated systems out there which may be more suitable. Let us know what you end up with

04-03-2019, 08:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I haven't used them yet. I've got one polarizer and then some HiTech stuff for ND and grad ND----but just after I got them I changed up what I was shooting mostly and so haven't used them much. But Jim Kasson (check him in the Medium Format forum at that notorious site, and definitely check out his website(s) is the guy to trust about these. But he is not using Pentax but Fuji. Still, he's worth checking. I am about to get very soon at least a Pola and an ND , and based on what he has said it will be Breakthrough's. Also, I don't have the 28-45 but the 25, which has internal filters.
Went to his site, but the only mention I could find on a search there was about their filter adapter rings.

I’ve researched this topic for more than a year and the paralysis by analysis is nearly at an end. One of the better sites for visually comparing high end filters is 10 Stop ND Filter Test | On Landscape. This article from onlandscape is a fairly direct way to see comparisons of the competition for our hard earned dollars. Additional research on what system is most compatible with shooting style helps narrow the field. Anyone using filters should find this article of interest.

Stephen

---------- Post added 04-03-2019 at 08:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
No problem and you are welcome. I agree that there are more sophisticated systems out there which may be more suitable. Let us know what you end up with
I certainly will. Thanks.
04-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Went to his site, but the only mention I could find on a search there was about their filter adapter rings.
Check DPR for his comments about Breakthrough there---I believe that's where I saw them. Look through his website to understand why you should consider trusting his opinion.
04-04-2019, 08:28 PM   #10

Re breakthroughs & 25mm

Good luck trying to get breakthrough NDs for the 25mm. I just aquired my 25 and am currently looking for a no compromise 10stop ND filter. Unfortunately breakthrough dont make them in 40.5mm. Still on the fence about what else to buy, Cheers Paul.
04-04-2019, 11:29 PM   #11

On the 25, I've read the the largest holder in Format Hitech (150)will give you the coverage.
04-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So I made the decision to go with Kase Filters. Dropped just short of a grand for their filter holder, magnetic polarizer and four filters. A 6 and 10 stop ND 100mm sqaure and a .09 (3 stops) grad and .09 reverse grad which were 100mmX150mm.

While running errands today I managed to stop by a local park and give a quick, and very unscientific BTW, test on the 10 stop ND to determine the neutrality of the filter.

All shots were shot with the magnetic polarizer mounted in the filter holder and attached to the DFA 28-45. Metering was in camera TTL as I didn't have my light meter with me. Conditions were extremely windy (20MPH+) and leaden skies with rapidly moving clouds.

Scene shot WITHOUT 10x ND or .09 grad

Image shot through 10x ND and 3 stop grad

100% Crop out of camera JPEG with just the polarizer

100% crop with polarizer, 10x ND and 3 stop grad.

Stephen