Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2019, 07:14 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 160
Harness, waist belt and accessories for Pentax 645Z

Dear all,

For wildlife photography in Masai Mara in next few weeks, I intend to shoot with a Pentax 645z attached to 28-45 zoom and Canon 50D attached to Pentax 645 400mm f5.6 using a 645 to EOS adaptor. I would be carrying both cameras on me for most of the day. I would be shooting for 6 days.

I also intend carrying along the 645 DFA 90MM f2.8 and FA 300MM f4 lenses. The 300MM might replace the 28-45 on the 645Z based on emerging opportunities.

To distribute the substantial weight on shoulders and back, while also giving ready access to the cameras for quick reaction, can someone suggest a good combination of a harness, waist belt and other accessories? It is important that the cameras don't dangle around too much in the vehicle else they might hit something and get damaged.

I also saw in pictures on eBay and Amazon some harnesses which allow you to rest the camera on your chest thus completely taking the load off the neck and shoulders. Are these contraptions useful? Do they allow quick reactions?

And if I am going ahead with this, would it be worthwhile carrying the left over two lenses in small lens bags attached to the waist belt or is it better to leave them in the big camera bag (a rugged Lowepro)?

Thanking you in anticipation.

04-08-2019, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Buffy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Greater Boston area, Massachusetts
Posts: 383
Re: Harness, waist belt and accessories for Pentax 645Z

I have the Cotton Carrier chest and waist combo and put the 645z on my chest and the K-1 on my hip. It is effective at redistributing the weight, particularly the chest slot, but pulling a camera out for a shot quickly does require some practice. A camera switch, i.e. put one on the harness and pull the other off--is even harder so if speed is paramount I would guess there are probably better systems.

I should also note that I am not particularly busty but having boobs is a mild impediment for the chest harness. Men might have it easier.
04-08-2019, 09:14 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Kath's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 737
Sounds like a fabulous trip! I use this setup for certain situations and add the hipbelt carrier for extra lenses. I often shoot from a small boat so need everything close at hand. The harness system is very stable and great for keeping one or two cameras safely close to your body when not in use. The twist lock is a quick draw, so no problems there.

http://https://www.cottoncarrier.com/products/g3-camera-harness-2

As to whether or not to carry or use extra lenses out of a bag, I would say that really will depend on how much room you’ll have available to you in the vehicle. With enough room, my preference would be a separate bag because having lens pouches hanging off your body while sitting can be physically limiting. If I couldn’t determine that ahead of time, I’d probably bring a bag and pouches and make the choice there.

Have a great time!
Attached Images
 
04-08-2019, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
I have the Cotton Carrier chest and waist combo and put the 645z on my chest and the K-1 on my hip. It is effective at redistributing the weight, particularly the chest slot, but pulling a camera out for a shot quickly does require some practice. A camera switch, i.e. put one on the harness and pull the other off--is even harder so if speed is paramount I would guess there are probably better systems.

I should also note that I am not particularly busty but having boobs is a mild impediment for the chest harness. Men might have it easier.
Thank you Buffy.

---------- Post added 04-08-19 at 10:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Sounds like a fabulous trip! I use this setup for certain situations and add the hipbelt carrier for extra lenses. I often shoot from a small boat so need everything close at hand. The harness system is very stable and great for keeping one or two cameras safely close to your body when not in use. The twist lock is a quick draw, so no problems there.

http://https://www.cottoncarrier.com/products/g3-camera-harness-2

As to whether or not to carry or use extra lenses out of a bag, I would say that really will depend on how much room you’ll have available to you in the vehicle. With enough room, my preference would be a separate bag because having lens pouches hanging off your body while sitting can be physically limiting. If I couldn’t determine that ahead of time, I’d probably bring a bag and pouches and make the choice there.

Have a great time!
Thank you Kath for the awesome advice and the pictorial depiction. This is very close to what I had in mind as a stable, reliable and convenient way of carrying two monster camera-lens combos for most of the day.

I was restricting myself to Lowepro and Think Tank products. Didn't know about Cotton Carrier. I will check out the recommended product. Thanks again.

04-09-2019, 01:42 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leonine Quote
Thank you Buffy.

---------- Post added 04-08-19 at 10:15 AM ----------



Thank you Kath for the awesome advice and the pictorial depiction. This is very close to what I had in mind as a stable, reliable and convenient way of carrying two monster camera-lens combos for most of the day.

I was restricting myself to Lowepro and Think Tank products. Didn't know about Cotton Carrier. I will check out the recommended product. Thanks again.
Just one question Kath...

Is the item at the link you sent https://www.cottoncarrier.com/products/g3-camera-harness-2
a self contained item for holding two camera bodies or do I need to buy any other accessories along with this item?


04-09-2019, 02:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Buffy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Greater Boston area, Massachusetts
Posts: 383
QuoteOriginally posted by leonine Quote
Just one question Kath...

Is the item at the link you sent CCS G3 Grey Harness-2 - Cotton - Camera Carrying System
a self contained item for holding two camera bodies or do I need to buy any other accessories along with this item?

It is a self-contained system for two cameras.
04-09-2019, 03:23 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 160
Original Poster
Thanks Buffy. And can one add an additional removable holster for say an 8 x 40 binoculars? Thus one camera on the chest, another camera on the left side hip and the binoculars on the right side hip?

04-09-2019, 04:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Buffy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Greater Boston area, Massachusetts
Posts: 383
QuoteOriginally posted by leonine Quote
Thanks Buffy. And can one add an additional removable holster for say an 8 x 40 binoculars? Thus one camera on the chest, another camera on the left side hip and the binoculars on the right side hip?
The holster is on your right hip and on your left hip is the harness release clip. You can probably fit another holster to the left of the release clip but that puts it more under your arm than in front. Depending on how you hold your arms that could be convenient or it could be uncomfortable.

I have an earlier version than is currently for sale and so it could be a little different so I would check with a sales rep to make sure. Before I purchased mine I called to be sure I could two fit 645NIIs on it comfortably and the sales person was very helpful.
04-09-2019, 05:24 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 160
Original Poster
Got it Buffy. Thanks a ton.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
300mm, 645d, 645z, accessories, bag, belt, body, camera, cameras, carrier, chest, harness, lenses, medium format, pentax, time, waist
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photography Belt/Harness Recommendations, especially Arcaswiss. BruceBanner Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 13 08-29-2017 05:45 PM
For Sale - Sold: Lowpro Vest-Harness-Gear Belt oneill Sold Items 4 04-29-2016 09:21 PM
waist/belt pack zipper location question tibbitts Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 5 03-04-2013 06:43 AM
Waist belt camera bag suitable for hiking? Javaslinger Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 12 08-10-2009 11:41 PM
Waist Belt & Harness Bags and Packs - Opinions? stewart_photo Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 15 10-23-2007 04:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:35 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top