Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2019, 10:03 PM   #1

Pentax 67 lens question

Hi everyone,

I bought myself a Pentax 6x7 around a year ago with the 105mm f2.4 super Tak.
I'm wanting to get a wide angle prime lens and have decided I want to get one of the 55mm lenses.
Through the reviews on the Pentax lenses part of the forum I've noticed the late version 55mm f.4 is the best lens for this length with 10/10 as it's score.
Currently I have the option to get my hands on the 55mm f3.5 super Tak or the 6x7 55mm f.4 (early version Pentax 55mm).
My question is; should I wait till I can get my hands on a late version 55mm? Is it much better then the other two versions? And if not which one would you guys recommend. The early 6x7 version or the super Tak version?

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Last edited by Hehe; 04-10-2019 at 10:36 PM.
04-10-2019, 10:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Takumars and Super Takumars are quite old against the modern-era goodies. OK, there will be lovers and haters, pickers and pokers. My money is on the modernised SMC Pentax 67-designated 55mm f4.

It does have a very, very good reputation, as you've noticed, as does the companion 'wideboy', the 45mm f4. The problem with a few of the 55mm lenses is a quirky rattling within the barrel somewhere, which can be mightily annoying; it is not every lens that has this glitch, but many do, including the one I owned years ago — coming up suddenly, without provocation or trauma, it drove me nutty! Thus along came the "quiet" SMC-P 45mm f4 — a smaller, physically wider and squatter -- a similarly weighty lens with a big (82mm) filter as opposed to the 55's 77mm filter. The filter size can be important if you have existing filters that will fit a prospective new lens, rather than having to invest in a whole swag of new filters, which can be pricey...

There is a significant change in viewfinder brightness moving from f2.4 to f4. Expect to have some to-ing and fro-ing with focusing in low light with either/both of these f4 lenses (not as easy as the 105mm f2.4), moreso if you are using a polariser or an ND filter! In the absence of using a central-area magnifying eyepiece (separate accessory) or right-angle finder, removing the filter will facilitate easier focusing.

Last edited by Silent Street; 04-11-2019 at 04:23 PM.
04-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As mentioned above, always get the latest version. The 67 55/4 is a superb lens.

Phil.
04-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fwiw, I use the 45mm f/4, latest edition, and really have no cons to express. It’s a bit wider view than the 55mm, which I seriously considered, but have no regrets with the 45mm...and the lens hood. No rattles; just smooth ‘n’ sharp! I added some filters and have stayed with this a long time.

04-12-2019, 06:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've read great things about the late version 55 but never gotten around to picking one up. I do have a late 45 and can second jeffdrew's comment above on this being a wonderful lens. If you had a choice between an early 55 and a late 45 I'd go with the 45.
04-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Consider the filter size of the Tak 55mm (=100mm). Yet another size filter set if you shoot with colored filters in BW. With an array of Pentax 6x7 lenses you'd need 67, 77, 82 and now 100mm filters.
04-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Optics are unchanged between the 6x7 45/4 and the 67 45/4 (later) generation of lenses.

04-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input guys. I think i'll wait until I can get my hands on one of the late version lenses.
04-20-2019, 12:28 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
The Takumars and Super Takumars are quite old against the modern-era goodies. OK, there will be lovers and haters, pickers and pokers. My money is on the modernised SMC Pentax 67-designated 55mm f4.

It does have a very, very good reputation, as you've noticed, as does the companion 'wideboy', the 45mm f4. The problem with a few of the 55mm lenses is a quirky rattling within the barrel somewhere, which can be mightily annoying; it is not every lens that has this glitch, but many do, including the one I owned years ago — coming up suddenly, without provocation or trauma, it drove me nutty! Thus along came the "quiet" SMC-P 45mm f4 — a smaller, physically wider and squatter -- a similarly weighty lens with a big (82mm) filter as opposed to the 55's 77mm filter. The filter size can be important if you have existing filters that will fit a prospective new lens, rather than having to invest in a whole swag of new filters, which can be pricey...

There is a significant change in viewfinder brightness moving from f2.4 to f4. Expect to have some to-ing and fro-ing with focusing in low light with either/both of these f4 lenses (not as easy as the 105mm f2.4), moreso if you are using a polariser or an ND filter! In the absence of using a central-area magnifying eyepiece (separate accessory) or right-angle finder, removing the filter will facilitate easier focusing.
Quick fix to the odd ball 82mm filter size is an 82-77 step-down filter. I have one on order for my 45mm and hoping, as per previous reports, to find no vignetting.

---------- Post added 04-20-19 at 03:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Hehe Quote
Hi everyone,

I bought myself a Pentax 6x7 around a year ago with the 105mm f2.4 super Tak.
I'm wanting to get a wide angle prime lens and have decided I want to get one of the 55mm lenses.
Through the reviews on the Pentax lenses part of the forum I've noticed the late version 55mm f.4 is the best lens for this length with 10/10 as it's score.
Currently I have the option to get my hands on the 55mm f3.5 super Tak or the 6x7 55mm f.4 (early version Pentax 55mm).
My question is; should I wait till I can get my hands on a late version 55mm? Is it much better then the other two versions? And if not which one would you guys recommend. The early 6x7 version or the super Tak version?

Thanks in advance!

Nick
Love my late version (SMC PENTAX 67 1:4 55mm), and advise holding out for this version or another of the f 4.0 lenses. This lens is everything it is claimed to be, and in ordinary day-to-day work its wide focal length is nicely offset by its very close minimum focal distance.