Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #1

HELP Pentax 645 - Film advancement not working

Hi there,

I recently purchase a classic Pentax 645 which was description as functioning, however I loaded the film and pressed the shutter for the auto-winder to go to the first exposure but the motor keeps running. It doesn't unless I turn it off and take the film holder out. It seems the film isn't advancing on the film holder at all either, and I'm definitely putting it in correctly.

04-12-2019, 10:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tatsumi Quote
Hi there,

I recently purchase a classic Pentax 645 which was description as functioning, however I loaded the film and pressed the shutter for the auto-winder to go to the first exposure but the motor keeps running. It doesn't unless I turn it off and take the film holder out. It seems the film isn't advancing on the film holder at all either, and I'm definitely putting it in correctly.
IF you are certain, as in 100% positive, that you are loading the film correctly, then there is definitely a problem with the electronics or there is a broken gear. I have had my share of "brain farts" in which I've loaded mine incorrectly thinking I did it correctly.

Again assuming that you are loading the film correctly, the only other thing that I can think that could try to reset things by taking the batteries out and even the CR1220 lithium battery (you'll need a small spanner wrench).
04-13-2019, 07:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check batteries. Even if one of six is out of orders the camera may behave unpredictably.
04-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
go underneath the camera there is a memory battery 1220 a tiny little thing. you need to replace it, you need a lens spanner to get it out. Basically the camera has lost its memory. OR PULL THE BATTERY PACK OUT AND MANUALLY TRIGGER THE SHUTTER A FEW TIMES

04-14-2019, 03:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm puzzled, if the film is loaded correctly, the insert is inserted correctly and the motor runs continuously - then I'd expect the film to wind to the end (unless as suggested there's a broken gear somewhere). The fact it doesn't suggests there's a problem with the drive mechanism, the motor runs continuously as it hasn't detected it's advanced the film to the first frame (which it hasn't).
04-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I'm puzzled, if the film is loaded correctly, the insert is inserted correctly and the motor runs continuously - then I'd expect the film to wind to the end (unless as suggested there's a broken gear somewhere). The fact it doesn't suggests there's a problem with the drive mechanism, the motor runs continuously as it hasn't detected it's advanced the film to the first frame (which it hasn't).
No the computer gets tricked that is why, happened to me. Nothing is broken,except he lost the film.
09-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
No the computer gets tricked that is why, happened to me. Nothing is broken,except he lost the film.
Hi niceshot ,the same is happening to me , my camera won't stop winding and it transfers the film completely , did you ever find the problem ? Thanks in advance !!
09-06-2019, 04:48 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cowboy83 Quote
Hi niceshot ,the same is happening to me , my camera won't stop winding and it transfers the film completely , did you ever find the problem ? Thanks in advance !!
take out the the back and manually rewind and fire the shutter manually a few times then fire it by shutter the reload. Dont worry it happens and it is not a permanent.

09-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
take out the the back and manually rewind and fire the shutter manually a few times then fire it by shutter the reload. Dont worry it happens and it is not a permanent.
I will try that !! Thanks again !!
09-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did it work?
09-14-2019, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #11

Good News !!!!

I found and fixed the problem with my camera .

There are 2 pins that detect when the film back is on the camera , the one on the top side was stuck in , i discover this after taking the right side plate from the camera off , all i had to do is scrape the pin with a tiny flat screw driver , after that i tried the film again and it work great !!

i hope this helps !! and thanks again for the help !!
Attached Images