Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #1

67ii repair. no more parts available, so now what?

so now what. the repair place that has the best rep for fixing 67ii, a lot wont work on them, and the place that has always fixed my cameras, has had my 67ii for over 4 months now. they emailed last night saying they cant fix it now because they can not find the required parts. hmmm, that sucks

what to do now? look for a parts camera to use as to transplant parts from? haven't found 1 under 1,000. while the camera still works, only at speeds faster than 1/60, keep it and use it for limited shoots. I'm at a loss

the parts are for the film transport and the mirror mechanism. really bummed as it was my backpacking landscape camera. They have been looking for over 2 months for the parts and have had no luck.

thoughts?

05-08-2019, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Parts camera seems best.
05-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm curious to see if it works on the Bulb setting?
05-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #4

Original Poster
it does work on bulb, for one image. basically, any speed slower than the sync speed, the mirror locks up and you have to wind the whole roll, take out the batteries and then reboot so to speak. as long as you keep speeds faster than 1/30, the camera works. shutter curtain issue along with mirror issue ive been told. sucks to be me.

05-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Keep an eye out for a spares/repair item with a different fault. Alternatively, ask your repairer for details of the parts required and try contacting some Japan sellers to see if you can find a source.
05-08-2019, 08:38 PM   #6

You can try contacting Bellamy Hunt in Japan to see whether Ricoh or anyone else there will still repair it:

Camera Repairs - Japan Camera Hunter
05-08-2019, 10:12 PM   #7

You can try NSB - Tekunos in Japan. Run by 5 retired Pentax engineers they work on vintage lenses and cameras. Sounds like they bought out a lot of the vintage repair, test and manufacturing equipment and parts inventory.

?????????????????NSB?????

Lens Repair Co. run by Retired Pentax Engineers - PentaxForums.com

Another member had his MZ-1 repaired by them (from Singapore as I recall but could be wrong). They do take repairs from outside of Japan.

05-08-2019, 11:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by orengrad Quote
You can try contacting Bellamy Hunt in Japan to see whether Ricoh or anyone else there will still repair it:

Camera Repairs - Japan Camera Hunter
It would seem that people are having enough trouble getting the flagship 645Z serviced by Ricoh Pentax.
The best option for the 67ii is an independent repair facility. Eric Henderson at pentaxs.com comes to mind but I am unsure if he services the 67ii.
05-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
It would seem that people are having enough trouble getting the flagship 645Z serviced by Ricoh Pentax.
The best option for the 67ii is an independent repair facility. Eric Henderson at pentaxs.com comes to mind but I am unsure if he services the 67ii.
Eric does not work on the 67ii. IN fact not many do work on it. to much electronics.
05-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could try Kew's Camera Services 1160 State Street #190 Orem, UT 84097. He has a few Parts 67II cameras. He is internationally known for repairing Contax 645 cameras, but works on Pentax also. Send your camera with name address and phone/email. He does not charge for estimates.
05-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #11

Original Poster
thanks. my repair center is sending me my camera back so I guess I need to reach out to a few of the ones listed here. many thanks to all

john
05-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #12

Original Poster
update,

I got notice from 2 other repair centers, 1 being Nippon in NYC. They both confirm that there are no longer any parts to fix or repair any pentax 67 models, especially the electronic stuff in the 67ii. So now im off to find a good quality 67 late model. figured since the electronics seem to be the main issues people have the 67ii models, it should last longer. grab a ugly one if it works for parts!
05-25-2019, 08:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by destroya Quote
update,

I got notice from 2 other repair centers, 1 being Nippon in NYC. They both confirm that there are no longer any parts to fix or repair any pentax 67 models, especially the electronic stuff in the 67ii. So now im off to find a good quality 67 late model. figured since the electronics seem to be the main issues people have the 67ii models, it should last longer. grab a ugly one if it works for parts!

An excellent to MINT– Pentax 67 (not 6x7) should be fairly easy to find, and in Japan these are kind of plentiful — but at often ridiculous prices that have little to nothing to do with exchange rates, but more about collusion and profiteering that is rampant amongst cameras of this and older vintage. Find a camera, ask plenty of questions and study the answers carefully. That said, getting a P67 from a street-level retailer is a much safer and reassuring avenue than online.

Back inventory spares for the Pentax 67 were finished by late-1997 to mid-1998, not long before the 67ii debuted. For repairs, parts are taken from like-cameras of similar age, but this still introduces unreliability as an unknown quantity. Some good advice if you find a nice specimen is to look after it carefully and not subject it to any rough treatment.They are old cameras and more problems with their reliability come from not affording them sensible care and protection.

Closer to home, here, I have met 67ii photographers who have described their bitter disappointment with this camera, making the salient point that an excellent variety of lenses are badly let down by foibles under the skin of the 67ii — "I may as well shoot with a pinhole camera!!" Yeah, well, I do too!!
05-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Closer to home, here, I have met 67ii photographers who have described their bitter disappointment with this camera, making the salient point that an excellent variety of lenses are badly let down by foibles under the skin of the 67ii — "I may as well shoot with a pinhole camera!!" Yeah, well, I do too!!
Not to change the subject, but how do you make clean (meaning relatively free of spurious diffraction effects) pinholes? Or do you just make a larger hole and attach a commercially obtained optical grade pinhole over it?
05-26-2019, 04:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Not to change the subject, but how do you make clean (meaning relatively free of spurious diffraction effects) pinholes? Or do you just make a larger hole and attach a commercially obtained optical grade pinhole over it?
Commercially-made pinhole cameras, such as those by ZeroImage in Hong Kong, use precise laser drilling (0.07mm) and controlled ablation to smooth the edges. A terrace baffle is then placed around the front to reduce (but never quite eliminate) off-axis flare. Home made pinholes can be fashioned very simply with a pin and people will not give a damn about the aberrations, flare and whatnot. The important thing to remember is that each and every pinhole can have its own characteristics: some people fashion (or search out) pinholes to exaggerate flare, others to give as much edge definition as possible (ZeroImage) and still others just don't care because they're doing it for the fun of it e.g. for World Pinhole Photography Day (I missed this year as where I am I do not have access to a scanner or film processing here).

Leonardo da Vinci made imaginative use of a pinhole to trace the movement of the Sun through the Tower of Winds as he planned the layout of his frescoes.

Last edited by Silent Street; 05-26-2019 at 06:25 PM. Reason: da Vinci, not de Vinci (sorry Leo... )