Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 69 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2019, 02:37 AM   #1

Come on Pentax where’s next 645 !?

Been waiting and waiting I’m so ready to give you all that big cash regardless how tempting Fuji has been lately, now even the gfx100 is around the corner, where is your next 645 !? Mirroless or not I just need an update, faster af /more dr / higher iso / larger sensor / mirrorless / lighter weight size... Anything ! pick one spec and I’ll buy it , just please don’t be so darn quiet ! If you aren’t planning on developing 645 anymore just say so don’t let us hang for years...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-23-2019 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Minor edit to remove religious reference ;)
05-23-2019, 02:56 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I reckon the 645Z would be a big step up from your 9 year old Phase One P30.
But if you're not invested in Pentax 645 glass, why not just the fancy new Fuji?
05-23-2019, 03:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
P30 was long gone years ago, I’ve invested lots P645 &P67 lenses over the years actually, I wouldn’t lie 645z does the job at a reasonable cost, but it’s about giving user the faith of the system’s future, and it’s frustrating seeing that almost all companies have stepped up and came out or announced higher end products except the quiet Pentax...

---------- Post added 05-23-2019 at 03:13 AM ----------

...and 645d / 645z was the game changer at the time, it was like the ray of light for Pentax, but sadly they didn’t keep up the momentum and now Fuji is the new game changer
05-23-2019, 11:18 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by regen Quote
it’s frustrating seeing that almost all companies have stepped up and came out or announced higher end products except the quiet Pentax...
If this is so "frustrating," why torture yourself? Move to "almost all companies" that have what you want. My I suggest Fuji, with their GFX 100MP MF body just announced. It's a steal at $9995, $22K less than the Hasselblad.

05-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
Well, one of the problems that results from it , is that people who are looking are much less likely to buy used Pentax gears, priced at 3000usd I got no one asking.... I doubt it’s the price, it’s because Pentax 645 future is unknown.
05-23-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Can I throw a K-3 upgrade in the mix too please? Nothing on that front for years now either.
05-23-2019, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regen Quote
Well, one of the problems that results from it , is that people who are looking are much less likely to buy used Pentax gears, priced at 3000usd I got no one asking.... I doubt it’s the price, it’s because Pentax 645 future is unknown.
Excellent reason to switch, I'd say. Chances are your current kit will be worth even less if a new model debuts. Get what you need. After all, you are a working pro and your tools are a legitimate business expense. However, if the system really does work quite well for you, perhaps this is the time to invest in a backup body on the cheap.

Steve

05-23-2019, 01:39 PM   #8

Original Poster
Personally, I really like Pentax, k10 started my photography life, and later on launched the career using k7 ~ k5, got a chance for a cheap phase one, since then I had dreamed about digital Pentax 645, and wow 645Z has been amazing.

But from the business perspective, if I don’t know how much my inventory actually worth, it’s a problem, after all, if it’s something that neither a newcomer nor a Pentaxian want to get into, it’s essentially worthless.

Whether or not to make the switch, all I wish for is that Pentax say something substantially about their 645 so there’s a “value” in the system, hence someone might be interested in my used gear, or I patiently wait for the update; Worse case, if they decide to quit 645, it’s better to break someone’s heart early in the relationship than holding on for years.
05-23-2019, 01:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Any new Pentax 645 will have to be very special. Fuji has moved the medium format game up to a new level.

Fujifilm?s GFX 100 is a medium format camera that performs like a mirrorless - The Verge
05-23-2019, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

GFX100 does some moving pictures too.
05-23-2019, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Any new Pentax 645 will have to be very special. Fuji has moved the medium format game up to a new level.
If it's to be that special, we'll have to expect the new Pentax 645 to be twice the price of the model it's replacing. Would the Pentax digital medium format market even want and support that? Or... could Pentax offer - as it has previously - an individual medium format camera, without seeking to directly compete with another manufacturer on specs and features, that nonetheless offers something excellent for the price?
05-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian

From what I've seen, Fujifilm is promoting their cropped MF as a better FF; trying hard to break up with the common view that MF is big, clunky and not suitable for shooting action or video. Seeing how the market migrates more into higher value products, it might be quite a sound strategy.

... unless their estimation is overconfident. This is still a 10 grand camera that's an overkill for a lot of things current FF userbase shoot, and most standard MF type stuff like hardcore product/real estate don't need IBIS nor 4K video.
05-23-2019, 05:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Fujifilm is promoting their cropped MF as a better FF
Super full frame is a term they use.

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
This is still a 10 grand camera that's an overkill for a lot of things
645z was U$8500 on release in 2014,the Fuji is about the same relative price with state of the(superFF)art.

MF that shoots action,5fps has 8(nine later this year) lenses designed for digital,that are all weather sealed.Stabilised sensor when its needed

The release firmware isnt done yet,its a wait and see what the full capability is.
05-23-2019, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
645z was U$8500 on release in 2014,the Fuji is about the same relative price with state of the(superFF)art.
Back in 2014, the 645Z was pretty much state of the art in enthusiast / lower-end-professional medium format digital. The price reflected the technology of the time. I don't think Ricoh / Pentax will try to compete as state of the art at the same time as Fuji. Either it'll come out with something of a lower spec, yet still very good, and at a lower price... or it'll release similar spec but later, at a lower price, once the technology to manufacture is cheaper.

You buying one of these, or just pointing out how Pentax won't match up?!
05-23-2019, 08:12 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You buying one of these,
I'm buying 2, one for me and one for you...but ya have to wait till that lottery win comes!

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
or just pointing out how Pentax won't match up?!
No,just pointing out that 10k isnt a expensive price for what you get.

When the 645Z arrived it was the trump card,thats 5 years ago....it hasnt become a bad camera,just aged with dignity.Maybe Ricoh will pull 3 rabbits out of the hat on the birthday.

1/new Q

2/New Apsc

3 New 645

but dont bet on it.