Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you would have a mode that could churn out 25mp files at higher ISO or when you don't need the resolution. That would be usefull. Combine each four pixels into one. It would dramatically increase high iso performance and DR.

05-23-2019, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no interest in this new medium format Fuji beast. Why?
1. It costs $10,000
2. No pixel shift/high res mode.
3. Can't use my full frame lenses on it.

I'm currently very happy with my Pentax K-1 in the pixel shift mode. When it dies in a few years, if Pentax doesn't have a new K-1iii available, I will likely upgrade to the Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Mirrorless Digital Camera.

This Panasonic camera kicks pixel shift up to an even higher level than the K-1, AND with an adapter I can use the premium lenses I currently use on my Pentax K-1 on this Panasonic body! By the time I'm ready for a new full frame camera, I expect the cost of the Panasonic S1R will be below $3,000 .

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-23-2019 at 10:14 AM.
05-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I have no interest in this new medium format Fuji beast. Why?
1. It costs $10,000
2. No pixel shift/high res mode.
3. Can't use my full frame lenses on it.

I'm currently very happy with my Pentax K-1 in the pixel shift mode. When it dies in a few years, if Pentax doesn't have a new K-1iii available, I will likely upgrade to the Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Mirrorless Digital Camera.

This Panasonic camera kicks pixel shift up to an even higher level than the K-1, AND with an adapter I can use the premium lenses I currently use on my Pentax K-1 on this Panasonic body! By the time I'm ready for a new full frame camera, I expect the cost of the Panasonic S1R will be below $3,000 .
Have you seen the size of the lenses for the S1R? I saw the 50 f/1.4 in BiC camera in Tokyo. It was not far off the size of the DA 28 - 45 and looked about as heavy. Lovely looking camera though...
05-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Have you seen the size of the lenses for the S1R? I saw the 50 f/1.4 in BiC camera in Tokyo. It was not far off the size of the DA 28 - 45 and looked about as heavy. Lovely looking camera though...
Size is no concern to me - I only shoot pixel shift from a tripod. Generally speaking, there's a relationship between size, resolution, IQ, AND price. There's no free lunch in the quest for premium image quality.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-23-2019 at 01:11 PM.
05-23-2019, 01:35 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Does it do pixel shift
The firmware is under development,Fuji says Oct,2019.

No 8K video?
No, its 11k downsampled to 4K.When the demand for 8K rises the firmware will come.
05-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No.

But did you read the interview with the executive at CP+, 2351HD?
I did yes. But it didn’t say much as usual. Commitment without commitment is easy to do.

---------- Post added 05-24-19 at 09:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Several pertinent things:
  • They could use this new sensor in their Z body w/o body mods
  • Pentax has IBIS tech, and room in the Z body for it, no body mods necessary
  • Pentax has PS tech
  • With this camera, Fuji has no size advantage!
  • Pentax remains ready to make the jump to "FF 645"; Fuji is not---they are all-in with "crop" 645.
  • Pentax has already been doing some re-releases of their lens line downstream. No, they are not total re-designs, but they are new production with new coatings. So, that's something they could translate upwards to the 645 line.
  • In the downstream lines, a couple of very good new lenses have been released. No, it's not a dozen new ones, but the ones that have come are very good, and there are a couple more on the horizon. It's not like they have forgotten how to make good lenses, so I have hope for 645 (please re-do the 45!)
So, I'm guardedly optimistic. I think their stated (in 2 interviews from CP+) wait and see on 645, but still committed, is sensible for Pentax. When David faced off with Goliath, I'll bet he waited to take his best shot....
Well I would like to see this sensor in the 645z body not for resolution but for the conveniences that come with that sensor tech such as better shutter options.

I don’t need IBIS as I use a tripod almost always.

I could do with the newer lenses such as a refined mid zoom.

As for the 100mp Fuji. It’s now the same weight as the Pentax with a poorer grip and even more difficult to store in a bag because of it’s height.
05-23-2019, 10:31 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The firmware is under development,Fuji says Oct,2019.
No, its 11k downsampled to 4K.When the demand for 8K rises the firmware will come.
Well, I'm fine with that. Currently, even 5 years old FF camera models are still ahead of the display technology. There are some 8K electronic displays but they are very expensive, and 8K is far behind 100Mp. On paper / prints the DR is inferior to what most cameras can handle. I see a benefit of 100Mp for cropping.

05-23-2019, 10:59 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I see a benefit of 100Mp for cropping.
In one of the Fuji promotions on YT(theres over a dozen by paid fujians) it shows a 2mp crop,its very detailed.
05-24-2019, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

In one of the Fuji promotions on YT(theres over a dozen by paid fujians) it shows a 2mp crop,its very detailed.
If someone can afford a $10 000, I hope they are capable enough (unless the money was won at the lottery or came by inheritance) to frame a picture so that they don't have to crop to 2Mp.
05-24-2019, 02:36 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm still not clear as to what Pentax's path forward will be with medium format. They have indicated in recent interviews that they are going to continue working on the format, so there is that.

There are a couple of different paths they could choose. They could go full frame medium format sensor, which truthfully would give more of a boost than just increasing megapixels. The other option is to figure out in body stabilization for a crop 645 sensor and then add things like pixel shift and astro tracer. That certainly would make their camera stand out as the only medium format camera with in body image stabilization.

---------- Post added 05-24-19 at 05:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Size is no concern to me - I only shoot pixel shift from a tripod. Generally speaking, there's a relationship between size, resolution, IQ, AND price. There's no free lunch in the quest for premium image quality.
But you posted elsewhere that smartphones are taking as good images as your ILCs and you didn't take your Pentax gear with you as much because Fuji's cameras are so much more compact.
05-24-2019, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Adding sensor stabilization in the current 645z would be nice, everything else but firmware could remain the same.

---------- Post added 24-05-19 at 12:19 ----------

Actually, 102Mp isn't that much, at 11648 pixels wide at 300Dpi print is only 39 inches wide. In order to print 48 inches wide at 300dpi we need 155Mega pixels.
05-24-2019, 05:38 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

QuoteQuote:
Well I would like to see this sensor in the 645z body not for resolution but for the conveniences that come with that sensor tech such as better shutter options.
Good point. I could use the rez, but we're getting close to a point where I might not need more.

QuoteQuote:
I don’t need IBIS as I use a tripod almost always.
Again, a good point. IBIS is something I'd be willing to forgo. It's helpful on my FF camera for events shooting---even though the shutter speeds it helps with aren't optimum for events, but Collections Management frowns on flash in the galleries. With my Z, I'm more inclined to use a tripod for serious work, or flash if hand held. Also, a new , higher rez sensor will show defects of technique more, and I wonder how much benefit IBIS will give.

QuoteQuote:
I could do with the newer lenses such as a refined mid zoom.

Your arguments for new lenses become stronger with this new sensor. I would still rather have it than not (perfect is the enemy of the good reasoning), but lens deficiencies will rob more goodness out of this sensor than the current one, probably. But maybe the net gain even with lesser lenses would still make the jump up worthwhile....

QuoteQuote:
As for the 100mp Fuji. It’s now the same weight as the Pentax with a poorer grip and even more difficult to store in a bag because of it’s height.
Yes, they have certainly thrown smaller and lighter out the window with this one. But I always thought that argument a bit of a canard. The form factor seems to be aimed at pro FF DSLR shooters who haven't yet made the leap to a larger format. It looks awkward to me, but I have used battery grips and been ok with them.