Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Days Ago   #1

Photos: Albums
Need advise on some lenses

Hello everyone,

Hope you are well.

I am thinking of getting a Pentax 645z used, it is very rare in my country. One photographer wants to sell his as he doesn't use it much, and insists on selling it with the lenses hes got. I have many cameras but never used a 645z before so no idea about the lenses. The lenses are:

1. 75mm 2.8
2. 120mm f4 macro
3. 33-55mm f4.5

He is asking for roughly $4650 for the whole lot and a 6x7 adapter. If you have used any of these lenses please share your experience here. The new 645 lenses are expensive and this will not be my primary camera so it is unlikely that I'll buy another lens for 645z anytime soon. I'll mainly be shooting portraits.

Thank you very much and have a great day.

4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are all pretty good lenses- especially the macro, which is a solid choice also for portraits. The value of the 75mm and 120mm lenses will depend on whether they're A (manual focus) or FA (autofocus). Assuming the camera is in good shape, this sounds like a very reasonable deal, but I would still inspect the gear to make sure it is in good working order.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

4 Days Ago   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
These are all pretty good lenses- especially the macro, which is a solid choice also for portraits. The value of the 75mm and 120mm lenses will depend on whether they're A (manual focus) or FA (autofocus). Assuming the camera is in good shape, this sounds like a very reasonable deal, but I would still inspect the gear to make sure it is in good working order.
Thank you very much. Yes, the 120mm will be nice for portraits, the other two I'll need to check if they are FA. And I'll definitely check the gear beforehand if I purchase as I had some bad experience of lens / camera tuning issue before with Nikon and also a K-1 which I used for three months. Being a DSLR, 645z might suffer the same thing too, though I expect their QC to be better than the full frame / APS-C lineup.
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Manzur Fahim Quote
Thank you very much. Yes, the 120mm will be nice for portraits, the other two I'll need to check if they are FA. And I'll definitely check the gear beforehand if I purchase as I had some bad experience of lens / camera tuning issue before with Nikon and also a K-1 which I used for three months. Being a DSLR, 645z might suffer the same thing too, though I expect their QC to be better than the full frame / APS-C lineup.
You can get poor QC with even $15,000 lenses. And for the most part, failures are not about what happened at the factory, but about what happened after it left the factory. I've returned a couple of (non-Pentax) lenses, one of which was DoA. I doubt they left the factory that way.

4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #5

I bought a used 645Z about a year or so ago and use it often for portraits. As I remember, it came with a 55 and the 120. But by purchasing the older, manual-focusing lenses, I was able to add a 75, a 150 and a 200, spending not more than US$150 for any one of them. Totally wonderful.
4 Days Ago   #6
Pentaxian

The fact that there is a 6x7 adapter in the package makes me wonder if the 75mm is for a 645 or a 6x7?
4 Days Ago   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
The fact that there is a 6x7 adapter in the package makes me wonder if the 75mm is for a 645 or a 6x7?
I need to find that out. I didn't know that, really need to research this 645 and 6x7 better haha