Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2019, 06:06 AM   #1

Return or Repair (645 33-55 zoom)?

My used lens came from Japan yesterday. I think the deal was too good to pass up at $280 with case, caps, and hood. Heck, it even came in the original box. Unfortunately, I think it may have been too good to be true.

The lens will only focus at infinity from 33mm to about 42mm focal length. Then, something internal hits and jambs. Back off the focus, and I can get the full zoom range, but at 55mm, the farthest the lens will focus is 2 meters. Then the same internal interference occurs.

Otherwise, the lens is in great shape, so I'm tempted to have it repaired rather than returned.

And there's the rub. Keh wants $280 (flat rate) to repair a Medium Format zoom lens, thus doubling the cost to $560.

Would you return the lens or have it repaired?

Thanks,
- Arved

06-26-2019, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd probably get it fixed. It's still a pretty good deal at double the price; that said, if the original listing was not as described, perhaps you can also get a partial refund.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-26-2019, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sell or return

I don't want to violate any Forum rules, but I don't think you should return it. List it for sale on the Forum, and I guarantee it will sell within 30 minutes!
06-26-2019, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Go back to the seller and explain the situation, in my dealings, the Japanese are very diligent in how they describe things and very honest citizens, you may be able to secure say 50% of the repair cost cos its likely to cost a fair bit to return the lens for a refund.

06-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, all. I was thinking that it would still be a fair deal if I had the lens repaired. The seller is also on Facebook, and indicates that he does camera repair. I will offer him the option of fixing the lens himself for me or helping with the cost of repairs "locally" (nobody truly local anymore, but Keh is in the next state over).