Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2019, 02:52 AM   #1

Help + Advice: Pentax 67 Light Leak Or?

Hello,
I need some help. I have recently got 2 rolls back and my photos are ruined with what I think are light leaks.
I shoot for work almost every week and for example, last week my photos did not have any light leaks.
I checked a few weeks back and I found a few here and there.
I will attach examples. (I know the exposure is slightly off but these were the best examples with leaks)
Could this be the lab, or is it how I am handling the film? I am not careless when doing this but perhaps something is going wrong that I am unaware of?
Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Images

06-29-2019, 04:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Check if there is any pattern of the 'leak' - first picture suggests that a leak is near one of spools. The other option is the film was not rolled tightly enough before removal from the camera, or for some reason the protective band loosened.
06-29-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

You say you shoot some film almost every week. So is it safe to assume that you've never had this problem before up until these last two rolls? And you have shot 25, 50 or 100+ rolls of film through this camera? If so, I'd say it's the lab and shoot another test roll and send it off to be developed.

The last frame is several wraps on reel from the end of the backing paper. You would have to have that roll wrapped extremely loose and be handling it really bright place to leak from handling it out of the camera in my experience developing 120 roll film.
06-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies.
I have checked back and it is hard to tell if they are consistent on each photo. They look like the same sort of light leak but not always in the same spot or same size. Like these kind of wavy patterns almost. Almost always on the left hand side of photo though - do you think this means something?
On the first roll I brought in, the last 4 images were damaged.
On the second roll I brought in, the 1st 4 images (all on the left side) as well last the last 1 (entire shot) were damaged. And one other one has a tiny leak on the side of frame that is barely noticed.
Basically it seems to be completely random in terms of which frame has been damaged.
To be more clear, I always use this lab. I have had light leaks on a few images in the past (as in 1 image on a roll here and there).
Never as many as this, which is why I am worried it is my camera - or that I am doing something wrong that I am unaware of!
I have switched to 120mm just this year (from Contax g2); so there are still many things I do not know.

06-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Light leaks could be small, and you might then only see them if there was a a long delay/pause between frames. And they might not show up on the frames taken after the delay, but the ones before and after.
06-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #6

You could try putting a keychain LED torch in one or both film compartments and see if you can spot a light leak in a dark closet or room.
06-30-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by md87 Quote
They look like the same sort of light leak but not always in the same spot or same size. Like these kind of wavy patterns almost. Almost always on the left hand side of photo though - do you think this means something?
On the first roll I brought in, the last 4 images were damaged.
On the second roll I brought in, the 1st 4 images (all on the left side) as well last the last 1 (entire shot) were damaged. And one other one has a tiny leak on the side of frame that is barely noticed.

From the sound of the description and the appearance on one of the frames, x-ray damage is likely, either before or during the time you've had the film.

Light piping is generally brighter e.g. streaky orange and replicatable either by identifying a fault in the sealing of the camera, or correcting improper handling of the film during the load-in process and especially, upon unloading. It does not take a lot of effort for light piping to affect a 120 roll of film.
07-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
When you say x-ray damage do you mean, at the lab?
I have not travelled with the film.
Are you saying it is probably not a problem with seals as that would look different (orange)?
I wonder if had did something incorrect when I unloaded, but I am quite careful and it is strange as it is on both rolls.
Does it mean anything that it is on the outside of the frame (black edge) on each photo that is damaged?

07-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #9

Apologies this is a little off topic and I have nothing constructive to add, but I love that first picture. Sorry it got ruined. What lens did you use to capture that?