Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2019, 04:54 PM   #1

67II, 105mm f/2.4 issue... please help

After dreaming about owning one for over a decade I finally made owning a Pentax 67II a reality yesterday. A mint condition and CLA'd one popped up locally which the guy got from Japan. I made an offer and he accepted, so we met up yesterday evening.
We met up at a rather loud/busy location and I wasn't thorough with my inspection- it looked mint, like described, so I didn't really go deep. Plus I'd been out of shooting film for a few years and was a bit intimidated by it at first so figured I'd get to know it when alone at home.
Anyways, shortly after picking it up I noticed a couple concerning things with the 105mm f/2.4 lens.
1) the auto/manual switch remains stuck in the auto position. I would like to use it in manual so that I can see/compose with the aperture being used. I appreciate it being bright/wide open in auto mode, but would prefer to see the true image.
2) when I try to move the switch it's extremely loose, feeling like it'll break off at any point- I can move it side to side, back and forth, without any effort at all... very very loose.
3) when I take the lens off the body, I can hear something small rattling around inside.
I texted the seller and he said this is normal, but I just have a hard time imaging Pentax QC would let a rattling lens past them (that's going with the narrative that this is "normal")... I'm positive this happened after it left the factory.
I'm really bummed out because I was planning to use this on a shoot this week, but now have to deal with taking it to a repairman and footing the bill on a brand new (to me) camera...
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Is this normal or am I right to be worried?

06-30-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
3) when I take the lens off the body, I can hear something small rattling around inside.
I texted the seller and he said this is normal, but I just have a hard time imaging Pentax QC would let a rattling lens past them (that's going with the narrative that this is "normal")... I'm positive this happened after it left the factory.

That aint necessarily so.
The venerated SMC Pentax 67 55mm f4 also has a rattle that has been reported in isolated cases, but which does not affect the lens in any way. It is disconcerting (it developed in my 55), even annoying. For some users that rattling is sufficient to put them off the lens and sell it off!

A stuck AUTO/MANUAL lever may indicate a jammed (or broken) coupling to the aperture, and this is the more critical of the two problems you have highlighted. This lever though is chiefly used to check depth of field at the selected aperture; if during active shooting with the camera, the lens does stop down to the selected aperture, then the problem is in the lever only. The switch may be broken given your description of it moving side to side, back and forth without any effort. It should be stable and firm to activate, and require only a deft touch to push down to manual and/or deactivate back to its default AUTO position.

I would not expect these variegated problems 'straight out of the box' and would certainly take the seller to task about itemating pre-existing 'faults'. Thus I would suggest that you make contact with the seller again and organise for return of the lens (rattling is OK, but an inoperative AUTO/MAN lever ... no, not really, especially if a jam situation occurs when actively shooting e.g. lens aperature or camera jams), otherwise, at your discretion should you decide to keep it (it is one of the sharpest lenses for the 6x7) it should be checked out by a service facility that works on these lenses.

Your next project is to now thoroughly go through with the 67II, which includes but is not limited to, running a roll of film through it at all exposure modes and shutter speeds and recording (writing down!) what happens, especially in relation to the lens stopping down at any selected aperture (examine the resulting negatives/transparencies, also for metering accuracy, of which slides/transparency is best).

Last edited by Silent Street; 06-30-2019 at 05:54 PM.
06-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
That aint necessarily so.
The venerated SMC Pentax 67 55mm f4 also has a rattle that has been reported in isolated cases, but which does not affect the lens in any way. It is disconcerting (it developed in my 55), even annoying. For some users that rattling is sufficient to put them off the lens and sell it off!

A stuck AUTO/MANUAL lever may indicate a jammed (or broken) coupling to the aperture, and this is the more critical of the two problems you have highlighted. This lever though is chiefly used to check depth of field at the selected aperture; if during active shooting with the camera, the lens does stop down to the selected aperture, then the problem is in the lever only. The switch may be broken given your description of it moving side to side, back and forth without any effort. It should be stable and firm to activate, and require only a deft touch to push down to manual and/or deactivate back to its default AUTO position.

I would not expect these variegated problems 'straight out of the box' and would certainly take the seller to task about itemating pre-existing 'faults'. Thus I would suggest that you make contact with the seller again and organise for return of the lens (rattling is OK, but an inoperative AUTO/MAN lever is not), otherwise at your discretion it should be checked out by a service facility that works on these lenses.

Your next project is to now thoroughly go through with the 67II, which includes but is not limited to, running a roll of film through it at all exposure modes and shutter speeds and recording (writing down!) what happens, especially in relation to the lens stopping down at any selected aperture.
Thanks for the prompt and detailed reply; much appreciated.
The lever works in the sense that during shooting I can push it down into manual (not lock it though; it won't lock in manual no matter what) and it'll display whichever aperture I've got selected. i.e. if I'm shooting while it's stuck in auto (which is always) at 5.6 and push it down to manual, it'll get noticeably darker, as expected. So based off your response that's slightly reassuring as it seems to 'just' be a broken lever, which is still a bummer to be sure, but perhaps will cost slightly less to repair vs. if it were a more material issue. But I'm certainly no expert, hence deferring to you lot here at the forum, who possess infinitely more knowledge on this subject than I. I'm not sure I'll be able to discern any issues once I get back the developed film. I'm already in the middle of my first roll.
06-30-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sicko Quote
Thanks for the prompt and detailed reply; much appreciated.
The lever works in the sense that during shooting I can push it down into manual (not lock it though; it won't lock in manual no matter what) and it'll display whichever aperture I've got selected. i.e. if I'm shooting while it's stuck in auto (which is always) at 5.6 and push it down to manual, it'll get noticeably darker, as expected. So based off your response that's slightly reassuring as it seems to 'just' be a broken lever, which is still a bummer to be sure, but perhaps will cost slightly less to repair vs. if it were a more material issue. But I'm certainly no expert, hence deferring to you lot here at the forum, who possess infinitely more knowledge on this subject than I. I'm not sure I'll be able to discern any issues once I get back the developed film. I'm already in the middle of my first roll.

I am unsure which country you are in, but in the US, Eric at pentaxs.com may be able to shed light (bad pun, I know...) on the lens lever problem --> Home-Pentaxs.

Depending on the cost of repair+postage etc., (ask yourself if the cost of repairs exceeds the net value of the lens), it might be better to simply buy another 105mm f2.4, e.g. from here on Pentax Forums.

The 105mm is of sufficient length to enable you to discern differences in depth of field from f5.6 to e.g. f16 using a fixed (still life) object; if the aperture is stuck of faulted, and according to your written notes, there should be more depth evident the deeper the aperture goes.

Is the lens actually, physically stuck at f5.6, with no movement to f2.4?

06-30-2019, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
I am unsure which country you are in, but in the US, Eric at pentaxs.com may be able to shed light (bad pun, I know...) on the lens lever problem --> Home-Pentaxs.

Depending on the cost of repair+postage etc., (ask yourself if the cost of repairs exceeds the net value of the lens), it might be better to simply buy another 105mm f2.4, e.g. from here on Pentax Forums.

The 105mm is of sufficient length to enable you to discern differences in depth of field from f5.6 to e.g. f16 using a fixed (still life) object; if the aperture is stuck of faulted, and according to your written notes, there should be more depth evident the deeper the aperture goes.

Is the lens actually, physically stuck at f5.6, with no movement to f2.4?
I'm in Toronto, Canada. Was hoping there might be someone local to me- still searching.
No, the lens is not stuck at all- I can switch between apertures just fine. I was just saying that the lever works as intended when I hold it down in manual mode. It's just that it won't stay there on its own and is very loose.
06-30-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

All good.
It's a long, long way from Australia to Toronto, but there are other forum members here who are Canada-based e.g. Vancouver, so hopefully they'll chime in with repair contacts -- I'm sure something exists up there.
07-01-2019, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum and Happy Canada Day!

Email these guys in Winnipeg, they work on Pentax gear. Much cheaper than sending it to the US.

Computech Camera Repair

You have a great camera/lens combo, so hopefully to can get them both up to speed.

Phil.
07-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #8

I can’t offer much help but I too have the rattle in my 55mm f/4 but it works just fine otherwise. The auto/manual switch on my 105 also seems a bit loose but I just attributed it to the design of the lens.

I hope you get it to a point where you’re satisfied, it truly is a wonderful camera! I’m even considering buying a second body but I’d be reluctant to carry them both at once lol.

07-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by sicko Quote
. I was just saying that the lever works as intended when I hold it down in manual mode. It's just that it won't stay there on its own and is very loose.
Not sure if this has value, but Iím also brand new to this camera, and learned this just today. When you push the lever down to Manual, are you lifting the lever tip up at the end of the travel?

Mine (870xxxx series SMC) has a slight rattle; it looks new and literally unused.

Last edited by Kmier; 07-27-2019 at 07:30 PM.
07-28-2019, 12:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kmier Quote
Not sure if this has value, but Iím also brand new to this camera, and learned this just today. When you push the lever down to Manual, are you lifting the lever tip up at the end of the travel?

Mine (870xxxx series SMC) has a slight rattle; it looks new and literally unused.
Yes you have to lift the tip (nearest the AUTO side if that makes sense) to lock the lever in MAN. The older lenses have a stronger 'detent', than that of the newer lenses which is much more subtle (they feel a bit less agricultural).

Note: The following relate to the P6x7 & P67 bodies, I don't have knowledge about the P67ii

The camera has two metering circuits, one for open aperture and one for stopped down metering controlled by the lever. It's not unheard of that only one of these works. If changing the lever from AUTO to MAN or vice versa I'd always recommend switching the meter off first.

Last edited by johnha; 07-28-2019 at 02:46 AM.
07-28-2019, 10:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
The camera has two metering circuits, one for open aperture and one for stopped down metering controlled by the lever. It's not unheard of that only one of these works. If changing the lever from AUTO to MAN or vice versa I'd always recommend switching the meter off first.
Yep my TTL only worked if the lens lever was in the MAN position. It has since been retired for a non-metered prism and hand-held meter.

Phil.