Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2019, 08:59 AM   #1

645D or Z Wireless Shutter Release with range longer than 15'?

Having grown use to my Nikon D800 and its wireless shutter release trigger range of 100' plus it's quite frustrating to use the ones I've found listed for the D or Z that stop working after about 15' at best. Does anybody know of a WSR for either of these cameras that has a longer transmitting distance or some type of work around?

07-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thorrulz Quote
Does anybody know of a WSR for either of these cameras that has a longer transmitting distance or some type of work around?
How critical/important is this? It would be relatively simple to make an LED "amplifier" - a simple IR detector that is triggered by the original remote which would then modulate a higher power IR LED that you aim at the camera. You can get IR LEDs with a watt or more of output (50-100 times more potent than the original!).
07-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #3

I use Cactus triggers for remote shutter release at distance.
07-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Let me address work-arounds but with the hope that a suitable device already exists, because all home-made approaches I can see would require some design and construction effort, except (b) (Edit: and (e)) below.

As I understand them, the shutters of these camera bodies can be actuated by any of four ways.

(a) IR triggering using a small device Pentax manufactures. To duplicate its function, one would need a suitable silicon photodetector, an IR laser diode, maybe some optics, a circuit that received the optical signal from the Pentax device and re-transmitted it at greater power and tighter divergence. A sighting scope might be required. This would be a project for a student optoelectronics EE to perform.

(b) The Z has a sub-mini phone jack shutter capability that can be actuated using a Canon compatible cable and pushbutton device. I have an untested (by me) Vello RS-C1II for this purpose. I also have a 10 ft extension cable Vello RECC1-10. In principle, a 100 ft cable could be used. Edit: The port on the 'Z' is on the grip.

(c) I believe that a USB interface of some sort can be used in concert with the camera firmware and computer firmware. Perhaps our Adam has such a program. For long distances maybe a WiFi connection between the triggering laptop and the laptop attached to the camera would be possible. This would be a project for a computer coder.

(d) The shutter button looks like it is compatible with mechanical shutter cables of old. If so, an RC transmitter controlling an RC receiver controlling in turn a solenoid and cable could be made to work. An RC hobbyist might be a candidate for such a project. Edit: I think I was remembering my 'N', the 'Z' doesn't have this type of shutter button.

(e) Edit: I can confirm that the Cactus V6II manual shows a shutter trigger configuration. I hadn't noticed that before.

Last edited by kaseki; 07-14-2019 at 10:31 AM.
07-15-2019, 09:07 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try something like this (search on "IR remote repeater (or extender)":

amazon.com: IR Remote Extender, PAKITE PAT-435 Repeater Infrared Extender Infrared Extender for Expansion with 1 Receiver and Transmitter USB Power Supply Battery Operated: Gateway?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I checked my Pentax remote (for K series cameras) and the modulation frequency is 38 kHz (which this unit claims to be in its specs).
07-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Try something like this (search on "IR remote repeater (or extender)":

amazon.com: IR Remote Extender, PAKITE PAT-435 Repeater Infrared Extender Infrared Extender for Expansion with 1 Receiver and Transmitter USB Power Supply Battery Operated: Gateway?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I checked my Pentax remote (for K series cameras) and the modulation frequency is 38 kHz (which this unit claims to be in its specs).
Nice! Reasonably practical. For any significant duration, it looks like ac power to USB power supplies will be needed, larger battery packs, or a bag of batteries.
07-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thorrulz Quote
645D or Z Wireless Shutter Release with range longer than 15'?
An RF dongle remote is the simplest and easiest way. The dongle plugs into the cabled remote fitting and responds to signals from a transmitter. The brand that comes to mind is Triggertrap, but they quit business two years ago and I don't know who makes offerings in the space at present.

Steve
07-16-2019, 07:08 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
An RF dongle remote is the simplest and easiest way. The dongle plugs into the cabled remote fitting and responds to signals from a transmitter. The brand that comes to mind is Triggertrap, but they quit business two years ago and I don't know who makes offerings in the space at present.

Steve
Ebay seems to have several items showing with this search term. It seems that a mobile phone is needed to do the remote triggering.

07-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
An RF dongle remote is the simplest and easiest way.
I did a little more research on this and discovered there are various ways to this end. For example, Google reveals multiple DIY solutions. While those are intriguing, it occurred to me that remote shutter release is a common feature of many radio flash trigger systems; an example might be the Vello unit sold by B&H which is broadly Pentax dSLR compatible*.

Vello FreeWave Fusion Wireless Flash Trigger & Remote RFW-C

My Yongnuo YN560TXII offers similar functionality when paired with RF-602/RF603/RF603II and proper cable.

Steve

* Less expensive options might exist. The actual protocol used is very simple and works across multiple Canon models and all Pentax dSLRs having a cabled release fitting (K-70 and KP may require an adapter).