Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2019, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lesson learned with P67 left hand grip...

Yesterday I went out with my P67 & 55-100 zoom, I find this rig easier to haul about with the left hand grip (strap on the two right-hand posts). It was a hot day (for the UK) and my hands started to sweat carrying it, I found myself periodically tightening the grip securing screw - just to be sure. Later in the evening, inside a warm house I couldn't unscrew the grip, the securing screw was solid and wouldn't budge at all. Even rubber kitchen gloves didn't provide any purchase on it (I couldn't have tightened it so hard with my bare fingers earlier in the day). I can only assume the screw is more accessible when tightening it, or the heat had expanded something causing a bind.

Not wanting to do any any damage I left it overnight and tried again this morning (the house had cooled down). With the rubber gloves I managed to undo it after a struggle, but still couldn't get the grip off the camera posts. The grip was loose but I was unable to slide it up and off the posts. Then I remembered you have to pull the screw out to the limit of it's travel to fully release the pin securing it (this is not the first time I've stumbled into this problem), the grip then came free.

It struck me this is a very good design, even with the screw loose and the grip wobbling on the camera, it didn't seem like they'd part company. I definitely won't be tightening it up so much in the future.