Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2019, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #1

Capture One

Hi all

Having owned the 645Z now for a short while I have always felt a little deflated with the final image output when processed in Lightroom. It was recommended that I try the images through Capture One. There are of course work arounds to get DNG images from the 645Z into Capture, however due to various issues with profiles etc - this can cause some weird and wonderful colour issues during the processing stage. That said if you are patient and apply the various 'tweaks' required the imagery that can be produced using Capture One, in my opinion, exceeds that of images processed in Lightroom by quite some margin (I cannot comment on other processers as I havent used them). Couple that with the other features of Capture One, takes the 645Z where it needs to be as a professional flagship camera.

I understand the history as to why the partnership between Pentax and Phase One (Capture One) never formed and to a point respect that. However, following the discontinuation of the 50MP backs by Phase and also the recent agreement with FUJI to add the GFX50 to their supported camera range I was wondering if there is a chance we may be seeing the 645Z being supported by Capture One in the near future?

I recently spoke with Phase One and rasied this with them and they indicated that it wasnt something that they were adverse to however as a Pentax owner I should also raise this with Pentax directly as well. The chap from Phase went on to explain that the Fuji relationship was a by prodcut of the amount of support and pressure receivd from the Fuji community to get this over the line. (and I am guessing a few $$ as well )

So here I am seeing if I can stir up a bit of passion on this matter and finally get the 645Z to where it needs to be with the addition of (again in my opinion) the best RAW processing platform around.

08-01-2019, 02:39 AM   #2
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
yes, it would be great if Pentax would get a partnership with Phase One (Capture One). I went from Lightroom to C1 and think it is the better Raw Converter. But C1 also has some flaws.
08-01-2019, 04:31 AM   #3

I heard Capture One doesn't take Pentax seriously, so there probably won't be any support anytime soon.
08-01-2019, 05:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Better chance of getting a smaller-ish company like Affinity Software to do something Pentax related (if enough pentax users push them to do it, & have them get more customers out of it) than a big company like C1 who you have to pay off.

08-01-2019, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
yes, it would be great if Pentax would get a partnership with Phase One (Capture One). I went from Lightroom to C1 and think it is the better Raw Converter. But C1 also has some flaws.
I agree, however the final outputs from Capture one for the 645z do outway imagery from Lightroom. Now in no way am I 'knocking' Lightroom. It has it's place in the market. I may be speaking for myself, but people who generally buy the 645Z do so to obtain the best image quality they can and using Lightroom is like buying a sports car and having a restrictor fitted. I think that if Penatx and Capture One could actually sort their 'sh7t' out then it would take the 645z to a place where it needs to be! ��
08-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
I heard Capture One doesn't take Pentax seriously, so there probably won't be any support anytime soon.
I have heard numerous rumours as to why this hasn't happened, however I think ultimately the reason is quite the opposite as they knew the 645z was proper competition. Lets not foget that the 50MP IQ back, the 645Z and the Hasselblad are all using the same Sony sensor. I can totally understand why Phase One would limit the Blad and the 645z from accessing their software when they had a current product, however now that the 50MP is discontinued by Phase we must stand a chance of getting this sorted now??
08-01-2019, 08:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Better chance of getting a smaller-ish company like Affinity Software to do something Pentax related (if enough pentax users push them to do it, & have them get more customers out of it) than a big company like C1 who you have to pay off.
Whilst I agree that getting an something in place with someone like Affinity may be an easier route - there is a reason that Capture One is looked upon as the professional platform. I just think that if we can rally enough pressure from the forums and 645z owners we stand a chance of getting this sorted...?

08-01-2019, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
pid
Pentaxian

Phase One said to me we should talk to Pentax, they are open for working with them. The problem so is Pentax/Ricoh and not PhaseOne! We all have to talk with Ricoh to get the best software solution in the market.
08-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
Phase One said to me we should talk to Pentax, they are open for working with them. The problem so is Pentax/Ricoh and not PhaseOne! We all have to talk with Ricoh to get the best software solution in the market.
Totally agree and this is exactly what they said to me. So how do we get this message out and get everyone on the same page?
08-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by RMP645Z Quote
Totally agree and this is exactly what they said to me. So how do we get this message out and get everyone on the same page?
I wouldn't count on PhaseOne to do anything no matter what Ricoh does. They don't support pentax exif information very well and they can add support for all kinds of other cameras, but not the K-1mII. I gave up and moved on.
10-07-2019, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #11

Use DxO PhotoLab for your RAW conversions. You'll forget about C1.
10-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
I wouldn't count on PhaseOne to do anything no matter what Ricoh does. They don't support pentax exif information very well and they can add support for all kinds of other cameras, but not the K-1mII. I gave up and moved on.
I was one of the first buyers of the K-1 and used Capture One Pro although it didn‘t support the K-1 officially. Simply shoot DNG. I guess you‘ll be able to work on this raw basis. - I was happy with the K-1 DNG results I could achieve. For Pentax DSLRs DNG is a native raw format like PEF (no discussions about that). It should work. I didn‘t try DNG files from the K-1 II but some DNGs of Ricoh GR III that also isn‘t supported officially. I downloaded the DNG files from the web. After Import in C1Pro ICC Profile „DNG File Neutral“ is set automatically. On this basis I got nice results and if you are familiar with C1Pro Editing you should too - IMO. ;-)

I'd like to add something concerning exif-data in Capture One Pro:

If you want to see the name of the lens of your captures, you have the option to install exiftool. Then create a batch file (windows) or bash script (mac, linux, unix) as a workaround containing the following line:

exiftool -overwrite_original '-exif:LensModel<${Composite:LensID}' .

This copies the pentax specific field to the general exif LensModel field for all images within the folder where you are. If you want to preserve the original file untouched then delete tag "-overwrite_original" from the line.

The exif tag LensModel is shown in Capture One Pro. This is the only "problematic" exif tag I remember.

Last edited by acoufap; 10-07-2019 at 10:38 AM.
10-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I was one of the first buyers of the K-1 and used Capture One Pro although it didn‘t support the K-1 officially. Simply shoot DNG. I guess you‘ll be able to work on this raw basis. - I was happy with the K-1 DNG results I could achieve. For Pentax DSLRs DNG is a native raw format like PEF (no discussions about that). It should work. I didn‘t try DNG files from the K-1 II but some DNGs of Ricoh GR III that also isn‘t supported officially. I downloaded the DNG files from the web. After Import in C1Pro ICC Profile „DNG File Neutral“ is set automatically. On this basis I got nice results and if you are familiar with C1Pro Editing you should too - IMO. ;-)

I'd like to add something concerning exif-data in Capture One Pro:

If you want to see the name of the lens of your captures, you have the option to install exiftool. Then create a batch file (windows) or bash script (mac, linux, unix) as a workaround containing the following line:

exiftool -overwrite_original '-exif:LensModel<${Composite:LensID}' .

This copies the pentax specific field to the general exif LensModel field for all images within the folder where you are. If you want to preserve the original file untouched then delete tag "-overwrite_original" from the line.

The exif tag LensModel is shown in Capture One Pro. This is the only "problematic" exif tag I remember.
I did use exiftool to make my files work with C1. While C1 will work with K-1mII dng files, it does so using reduced capability. For instance white balance adjustments work as if the file is a jpg. PhaseOne indicated to me that many of the functions did not work as it should.
10-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #14
PDL
Pentaxian

From having a issue with CO, "Camera Lens" population and catalogue corruption service request where I said to the technician that Phase One was Ignoring Pentax.

"We offer equal support for Pentax 35mm DSLR, it is simply the 645d and 645z which we do not support." 2015-11-20 (This statement is incorrect as they do not support Pentax 35mm DSLR - this was before the release of the K-1 - well at all when compared with other - almost any other - brand, except Hasselblad).

I do use CO as my primary Post Processing software and will continue to use it for the foreseeable future.
10-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #15

I have just purchased a 645Z, and I plan to try several raw processors. I shoot Olympus, another minority, ie non Canikony, camera, and I found that DXO PhotoLab, whose sister company tests every camera, and Iridient Developer provide much better RAW development than Adobe, who largely pay attention to servicing the Big Three. I was first alerted to these alternatives when reading blogs from Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic RAW wonks. Halos, fringing, artifacts, noise - all either disappear or are greatly diminished, and the controls are much more sophisticated and less likely to create funky or unintended effects. I will report on my findings once I process a significant number of files.