Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2019, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #1

Anyone shooting video with their 645Z?

I know the Z has limitations with video, the main one being the inability to change autofocus while recording video, and also the unavailabilty of manual focus tools like the live view magnifier and focus peaking while recording video. And it only has 2K, not 4K video. With my eyes I can't manually focus properly without these digital focus aids. So I can set the focus accurately before pressing the record function, but not after.

Still, the colors on video are spot on and just as nice as those on stills and so I am planning to create videos with this camera.

Any other Z video shooters here?

Here's a short clip taken with the Pentax 645Z and the Pentax autofocus 55mm prime lens. Light is daylight through the windows, hand held, f3.2, iso-100, 24fps, 1920x1080 resolution. Shot as MOV file and converted to MP4 in Premiere Pro. No editing done on the clip. I've got a sturdy tripod and the Pentax 35mm manual focus film lens on order.

09-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #2

The main problem I have with the 645z video is the Moire. As you can see it is a bit apparent on your DVD collection.
09-06-2019, 08:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
True. I guess it depends on what you are shooting and if the camera is panning. Here's a link to my first video, the sequence on the right of the screen was shot with the Z and a manual 35mm lens, the sequence on the left with a Nikon D5000 and kit lens. My performance wasn't that great but the Z performed well. There are some moire removal videos on youtube which I will try and see how they work with the cd cabinet seuence.

QuoteOriginally posted by Irie Quote
The main problem I have with the 645z video is the Moire. As you can see it is a bit apparent on your DVD collection.
09-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
I have been exploring the moire issue on the 645Z for a couple of days and this is what i came up with. First, none of the methods to remove or reduce video moire in post seemed acceptable to me as when they worked they all resulted in reducing the sharpness of the video image, and often still did not work. The lack of an AA filter on the Z is what gives it the extra sharpness, and also makes it more susceptible to moire.

What does seem to help though, besides avoiding moire producing subjects, was to go into the video settings for exposure and set it to manual exposure in video, then reduce my shutter speed to 1/30 of a second and open the lens as wide as it goes, and pan slowly. Although it violates the shutter speed should be 2x fps rule, I have often shot at slower shutter speeds and have not noticed issues with doing so.

I did keep the movie SR on while panning handheld. Although it seems contrary to normal practice, it also may be possible that keeping SR on while on a tripod may also reduce moire by introucing micro vibrations, On my music video above I did have movie SR on as far as I recall, and it did no harm.

Would welcome any comments from those who are using video on the Z. I know the popular view is you can get better video on another dslr or a BMPCC, but my feeling is that no other video has the Z color quality. It barely needs any color grading when shot in the Landscape mode.

Last edited by bobspez; 09-08-2019 at 02:56 PM.