Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2019, 03:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Peli or similar hard case for 645D/Z?

Hi all, I'm looking for advice on a hard case for my D outfit (body, 33-55, 45-85 plus a few bits and bobs). As my application includes boating it needs to be waterproof, bouyant etc so I'm looking for a Peli or similar spec (I need the reassurance).

Without finding one to to try, judging size is difficult as getting the internal & external dimensions right for the gear and foam might take some tweaking. It would be good if it was carry on capable (but many UK airlines only allow smaller sizes than the standard sizes).

From its internal size the Peli 1510 looks about the smallest option, although this would be pushing size and weight limits for carry on.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

John.

08-25-2019, 06:27 AM   #2

Might take a look at 'Condition One' hard cases. I have one of the larger models with foam, works well. It's basically a pelican type case.
08-26-2019, 08:11 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about ones from Harbor Freight. Anyone used those?
08-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #4

I can get my 645Z, 28-45, 45-85 and 80-160 (with space for batteries) in a Peli 1450 kitted out with padded dividers (not foam)....well within any carry-on size limits.

08-27-2019, 03:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob L Quote
I can get my 645Z, 28-45, 45-85 and 80-160 (with space for batteries) in a Peli 1450 kitted out with padded dividers (not foam)....well within any carry-on size limits.
Thanks Bob, that's really useful info. I'd like to squeeze in a longer lens but had assumed it would need a much bigger case. I was assuming the internal dimensions ignore various protrusions and the externals ignore handles and catches etc.
08-27-2019, 12:50 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Thanks Bob, that's really useful info. I'd like to squeeze in a longer lens but had assumed it would need a much bigger case. I was assuming the internal dimensions ignore various protrusions and the externals ignore handles and catches etc.
I can get a 300/4 or 400/5.6 in there at the expense of any two of the three zooms.
08-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Bob, I've pretty much ruled out the 1510 - at 5kg empty it doesn't leave much weight for carry on limits.

Which padded dividers are you using, the velcro nylon ones, the trekpack rigid ones or something else?
08-28-2019, 03:32 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I've pretty much ruled out the 1510 - at 5kg empty it doesn't leave much weight for carry on limits.
When I travel with mine (1510s)... I swing them when walking, so they appear to other onlookers as being light as a feather, only to collapsing when I'm around the corner out of sight.

I just avoid getting them weighed.

08-28-2019, 11:52 PM   #9

Which padded dividers are you using, the velcro nylon ones, the trekpack rigid ones or something else?
They're Peli's own velcro and nylon.
08-30-2019, 12:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Bob. I may be looking at a 1500, slightly bigger but still well within most carry on limits. It may allow me to carry a bit more gear or a longer lens.
09-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies, they have been very helpful.

An update: I've gone for a Peli 1520 (confusingly smaller & lighter than a 1510 - no trolley or wheels). It is also the largest case that will fit within the smallest UK carry-on limits I could fine (Ryanair 'Priority' maximum of 550x400x200mm). It is probably the smallest case that will just fit my 67 500/5.6 - although I'm unlikely to fly with it, being able to get the camera & lens in one case helps when carrying a tripod etc. I went with foam as this was available locally at reasonable cost, it also allowed me to justify buying a larger case although I will consider dividers in the future.

I've heard of Peli cases for a long time, some of the roughest users of gear I know (Land-Rover owners) have sworn by them, but I haven't really paid attention to them before now. The hinges & latches are all protected by fins that won't snag on the baggage carousel. The trade-off is a slightly smaller internal volume for given external dimensions (which by the way include the hinges, latches and handles etc.). The whole thing feels indestructible.