Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pkr1979 Quote
300mm (possibly with 2x/1.4x teleconverter), and raised up to eye hight.
Older 300mm or newer M* 300mm EDIF?

Of course the bigger the better in terms of stability. And taking that camera and lens up to say 6 feet means even a bigger tripod. I have not shot the older 300mm but a friend has it and that much weight cantilevered off the camera's body is a mistake IMHO. You'll need your large tripod for that lens.

I do, however, own the M* 300mm EDIF. That lens has a tripod mount. For tripod reference, I currently have a wooden Ries, a Manfrotto 745XB (for video/still) and a FLM CP26 Travel tripod. With this lens, I highly recommend you use a monopod on the camera body with any tripod you use in general. I have used that 745XB without a monopod on the camera body but I had fast shutter speed and I used my hands to apply a little preload.

So a tripod in the size/weight class of that 745XB plus a monopod should do you fine with this lens if you only extend the tripod to around 3/4 of its total height. I have used the Takumar 600/4 plus monopod with that Manfrotto 745XB once raised up half way. It was not ideal but it did okay in terms no blurry pictures.

09-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #17

Original Poster
Thank you for this. Its the newer 300.