Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax 6x7cm medium format system, Q; about using ind cold weather and other

A few questions about Pentax' 6x7cm medium format camera system.

I'm about to buy a Pentax 6x7 camera and a 45mm and 105mm lens. And i have google' the internet for information, but still have some questions.

I'm going to use the camera for landscape pictures all year around(including in winter, with temperetures down to minus 30 degree Celcius).

What is the differens between the 6x7 and the 67?, somthing about elektric shutter in the 67 model. Is this a problem when cold?

How importent is the MLU, when taking landscape pictures?. Is the mirror shaking the camera?

Is the 35mm Fish-eye lens actually a fish-eye, or is it corrected for geometric distortion?

And have any of you bougth a camera or lens from KEH.com, with the Grade "Bargain" and is it worth buying or is it trash?

Thanks
Philip

10-15-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

The difference between the two models is pretty much cosmetic, IIRC. It isn't until you get to the 67II that you get auto exposure.
There are two versions of 6x7 though. The first couple of years that the camera was made they didn't have mirror lock on it. I believe that (the late) Fred Picker of Zone VI studios worked with Pentax and asked them to put mirror lock on the camera, and so they did.
Don't buy a non MLU 6x7 if you can get one of the newer ones.
Mirror slap isn't much of a problem with the camera, but it's still best to have it and use it, especially with a light tripod.
If I use my 6x7 on my Manfrotto 055, mirror slap is a problem sometimes, if I use it on my Manfrotto 028 mirror slap is a problem rarely, and if I use the camera on my Zone VI Standard tripod, mirror slap is never a problem.

All 6x7 shutters are electronically timed and actuated. For cold weather, you might want to consider getting the extension cable for the battery box (It allows you to carry the battery inside your clothing where it is warmer), or carry a few spare batteries close to your body and rotate through them as they get cold and die.
They will respond to being warmed up.
The 35mm lens is an actuial fisheye, the 45mm is rectilinear.
KEH is quite conservative in their listings. I have always had very good success with them. Their bargain grade tends to be everyone elses some marks from gentle use grade.
10-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll second the support for KEH. Bargain means perfect working order but cosmetic marks and scratches etc. I have purchased dozens of items from KEH and all came to me in better condition than I expected.

With 45 and 105 lenses and a solid tripod, mirror slap can be tamed, but with the longer telephotos--300 and 400--mirror slap is a tremendous problem. I highly recommend locking the mirror for all landscape work with this camera. I have a friend who handholds at wide apertures for street photography with a 67II with great success without mirror lock...but for long exposure landscape work, I consider mirror lock a requirement. With the M*400 and a Gitzo 500 series tripod (extra heavy duty) I still need to use a brace from the camera body to the tripod to stop vibration even with the mirror locked. Again, the lenses you mention don't raise this problem, but if you someday add a lens with a tripod collar, you'll need to consider such issues.

I've used 67II bodies in brutal sub-zero conditions a lot with no problems--just an extra set of batteries in the pocket as Wheatfield recommends. I presume that the earlier bodies would be less battery dependant than the newer electro stuff?

The 67 system is a real winner! Buy without hesitation!
10-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #4

Pentax did/does make a remote battery holder for the 6X7 camera. It allows placing the battery in a pocket or anywhere else it can be kept warm. A cable runs from the remote battery to the battery location on the camera. As I recall (I sold mine years ago) the camera is not usable on a tripod due to the cord and battery location.

I still use my 6X7 for landscape and hardly ever remove my 55mm lens. As far as vibrations are concerned, I have only had problems at high shutter speeds when using my 300mm lens.

Bob Rapp

10-18-2008, 05:12 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the good and usefull respons.

I've now bought a used Pentax 6x7 with MLU on ebay for $170 inkluding prism.

You can see it here: Ebay item number: 260299243024

Now my next step is to get a 105mm, then a 45mm and external batterypack. And i'll be ready for my christmas holliday i Norway

Does any of you now where to find pictures taken with the 35mm fish-eye lens.

Philip