Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2019, 06:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Breaking into medium and want/need advice

I finally got the first part allowing me to develop 35mm film, and if you give a mouse a cookie, I want to start shooting analogue medium format. Iíve wanted to for a long time, but finally having the means to see the final product is a huge plus. My question is Iím torn between the 645 and the 67. I know theyíre in the same umbrella of ďmediumĒ, but theyíre two beasts entirely. Please feel free to add, comment to, or correct my thinking on both cameras.

Iím leaning toward the 645 (the 645N to be specific), for a few reasons: one I like the film back concept. I like the similarities between the 645 mount lenses and K-mount, in that I can use the older lenses on a newer body. Eventually I would like to get the D or Z, so this is a big plus. Iím a little concerned that the ergonomics arenít entirely the best.

I havenít exactly considered a 67 or 67ii, but itís not entirely off the table. The used market is still kind of pricy, but I get it, theyíre insane cameras. The fact that there isnít a digital version of the 67 mount kind of makes me shy away from it. However, I like the larger image size that this camera takes. The other feature I really like is the interchangeable viewfinder(s). I also kind of like the similarity the 67 shares with an SLR.

What are these cameras like in the real world?

10-24-2019, 06:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I cannot cover your questions about 645 or 67 film cameras, but I managed to convert a T/S Nikon adapter to Pentax K-mount and now I am able to use any Pentax 67 format lenses on my K-1.
This may be a cheaper option for you to have a taste of 67 lenses on 35mm format camera.
Good luck!
Vasyl
10-24-2019, 07:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't have experience with those but a friend of mine had a 67 years ago. He got rid of it as it attracted quite a crowd every time he took it out. It was not only a nuisance but also a security concern. He said the unwanted attention simply prevented full enjoyment.

Thanks,
10-24-2019, 07:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
I don't have experience with those but a friend of mine had a 67 years ago. He got rid of it as it attracted quite a crowd every time he took it out. It was not only a nuisance but also a security concern. He said the unwanted attention simply prevented full enjoyment.

Thanks,
Never considered that. Now, how much bigger than an SLR are we taking?

10-24-2019, 07:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax 645 (any version) doesn't use film backs, it uses film inserts. You cannot change them out mid-roll.

I was in a similar situation about 5 years ago, having decided I wanted to try medium-format film. I opted for the 645 system. The main thing that swayed me was the possibility of using the lenses on a digital 645 body. It turned out that I actually have very little interest in digital medium format, so that has become a moot point for me. But I enjoy the format and the system for their own sakes. Yes, 6x7 has a significantly bigger negative. But for me the main advantage compared to 35mm film is that scanning 120 is so much easier on the Epson v700 I own, so I'm happy with my choice. (Also, I more recently bought a tilt/shift adapter to use the P645 lenses on K-mount.) The 645N is an excellent camera with a very good meter and a wonderful viewfinder, and they're very good value. The only thing I dislike is the noise the automatic film advance makes.
10-24-2019, 07:35 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bikehead90 Quote
Never considered that. Now, how much bigger than an SLR are we taking?
10-24-2019, 07:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have been looking into this and the cost are pretty high to start with the 67. Once you factor in a body, a good lens, a back and sometimes the viewfinder, the costs skyrocket. A cheaper option is to find a TLR like the Mamiya c330. This will get you into roll film and then you can choose which direction you want to go in.
10-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After shooting 35mm film for decades, I finally decided to get a MF film body and I chose the Pentax 6x7 system. I like the bigger image size and the shooting style of the body. (The 6x7 is basically handles like a huge Spotmatic)

I started with the 67, then got a 6x7 and finally the 67II body. The 67II is in another league than the two older bodies and that's the one I use most of the time now. It's matrix/spot metering, interchangeable focusing screens, aperture priority and other features make it the perfect camera for me. I also have no use for auto focusing, so that's another reason I chose the 6x7 format.

Phil.

10-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #9

i was in the same position many years ago when i went to MF. my first question would be, what do you plan to do with your images? if its just scan and web, then 645.
next, if you are planning on printing, how large? there is nothing better for printing then film real-estate. bigger is better. but you will need to spend some cash on a great tripod. DO NOT be cheap here, a good tripod is a must if you want great images with your 6x7.

I would be on the lookout for a nice 6x7 with mirror lock up. use it and go from there. you can get a 645n as a backup or to shoot color or B&W while you shoot the other in the 6x7. get the lens adapter and you can use the 6x7 lenses on the 645, makes bag packing simple and lighter.
10-24-2019, 04:53 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
[insert jaw-dropping gif here] yeah that is big.
10-24-2019, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #11

Iím just barely scratching the surface, but I bought a 645 with the 45mm f2.8 A lens, but it didnít have the Ďwowí factor for me. The 75mm f2.8 is sharper, but I then moved to a 67 with the 105 f2.4 SMC. The camera is intuitive, and with a good strap, the bulk disappears during walks. The images are nothing less than sublime, and I wonít look back now. The later 55mm and 200mm 67 lenses are in my future.

I do expect to go to the 645Z some day, but Iím having too much fun now. Not sure how using the 67 would be a nuisance to somebody unless you stuck it in their face. The mirror / shutter noise is mechanical music to my ear...the Ducati of cameras!

Last edited by Kmier; 10-24-2019 at 05:26 PM.
10-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kmier Quote
Not sure how using the 67 would be a nuisance to somebody unless you stuck it in their face.
The nuisance my friend was referring to was the crowd and unwanted attention. Not to mention the fact of people getting in the way of the shot. He loved the camera and the results. Since he usually carried a massive tripod with it, it was not the most discreet setup.

Thanks,
10-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #13

I used the 67 as a backup to a large format system for many years and loved it. Used it in inclement weather and never had a problem. It's huge and heavy but very easy to use. If you are doing landscapes and using a tripod, cable release and mirror lockup you'll really enjoy using this and you'll love the huge negatives/positives. If your looking to do street photography, hand held portraiture and the like the 645 would probably be the way to go. For the 67 you don't need to get the 67ii although it's really nice, you could start with the cheaper 67 and see how you like it. Lenses are relatively inexpensive -- wish they cost this much back when I was actively using mine.
10-24-2019, 07:44 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to play devil's advocate, how much 35mm developing have you done? Wondering if you should spend more time cutting your teeth before making the leap.

I've always been intrigued by the older large format cameras, but have never taken the plunge. Hhhmmmmmmm.
10-24-2019, 07:52 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Double check that your scanner can use film larger than 35mm, whichever way you go. A while ago I got excited about just trying a tlr camera, only to find out that I couldn't buy it because my admittedly basic scanner only takes 35mm.