Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TPR Quote
over locking the CPU a little
You mean over clocking? This is only used by performance enthusiasts and at the consumer level at best with an unlocked CPU you will only get a 14% speed improvement* over stock clock speeds with an exceptionally good air cooling solution. The risk of system instability and hardware damage - let us not forget the possibility of reducing your CPU to elemental carbon is too great for such a small gain.

* and that is with some generous rounding. Not all motherboards support overclocking and HP PCs are built on the conservative side.

Last edited by Digitalis; 6 Days Ago at 05:38 PM.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TPR Quote
Hi all, well Iíve gone and bought a computer!

I bought a used HP Z420. Itís the Intel Zeon 1620v2 chip running at 3.7 GHz. It has 32gb ram and 256gb ssd for boot and I use it for my initial photo import storage, then transfer after to the 1TB HHD. It also has a NVIDIA graphics card. The condition is perfect and I bought it for...£210.00 🙌🏻

I already had a large screen so I had to buy a mouse and keyboard. I fitted a WiFi card and Iím good to go.

Iíve been using RAW Therapee to edit which is fine for what I need and is free!

The RAW files are coming in at 70MB and the computer is doing it no problem. There is some loading time for the image but nothing terrible (a few seconds). I may upgrade to more RAM at some point or look at over locking the CPU a little...

Thanks for all the advice and for sharing your stories. I have decided to have SD1 in the 645z to be RAW and SD2 to be JPG. So for my workflow I will run with the jpeg initially then defer to raw once I have narrowed down the selection.

I have my first portrait shoot with the camera this weekend so very excited.
Congratulations for your purchase, we look forward to browsing your 645z outputs!
5 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #33
TPR

Original Poster
5 Days Ago   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
You mean over clocking? This is only used by performance enthusiasts and at the consumer level at best with an unlocked CPU you will only get a 14% speed improvement* over stock clock speeds with an exceptionally good air cooling solution. The risk of system instability and hardware damage - let us not forget the possibility of reducing your CPU to elemental carbon is too great for such a small gain.

* and that is with some generous rounding. Not all motherboards support overclocking and HP PCs are built on the conservative side.
The AMD Ryzen 1800X CPU in my HT PC is about 50% overclocked running on air, and has been stable since I had to move on from tweaking it around August 2017. This capability was the result of many tuners working with the same CPU and MB and playing with the multidimensional variate of the BIOS parameters. Others went farther. I would rather suggest a more practical limitation -- that overclocking requires a considerable time investment, both physically experimenting with the PC and keeping up with the OC literature for a given CPU/MB/RAM combination. The elemental silicon risk requires serious attention to temperatures. The required time for tuning likely precludes having the time needed for deep delving into photography, for example.