Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2019, 04:49 PM - 3 Likes   #1

First Impressions of the 645Z

Just got the Z last week and had a chance to go out and take some shots today. I was using an FA 45-85 on a tripod, except for the dog portrait which was done on an A 35mm. Didn't really plan that one; it just sort of happened. He hates getting his picture taken so you have to be fast.

Coming from a Nikon D850, the Z is pretty easy to use, except for getting used to the nuances of medium format. I had a little trouble getting sharp front-to-back focus and where I would normally shoot f/11 I found myself shooting f/13 or even f/16. And even at that I wasn't seeing the sharpness I expected, but it wasn't too bad. I'm sure it's just the learning curve. I also think this camera needs a good sensor cleaning as I had to do a lot of spot removal in Lightroom.

These were taken at Sloan Canyon Natl. Recreation Area, just up the road about 5 minutes from the house. The lighting was terrible -- bright sky, no clouds, and with a rookie pushing the buttons, well.... they didn't come out too bad for the first time out. They are, for the most part, what I thought medium format would look like. The portrait of Cooper (the dog) came out pretty nice, too, for a spur of the moment shot. Two of them are shameless shots of my Camaro, which I've shot a thousand times, and the one side shot came out awesome.

11-02-2019, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The dog shot has that MF look to it. Nice. The focus seems to be on the collar though; maybe the eye would have been a better choice. Lots to experiment with I'm sure.

Enjoy the new toy.

By the way, no need to apologise for the cloudless sky, I love them. The first shot of the car from the side is definitely enhanced by the contrast between the wide slabs of blue and red.
11-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No experience with the 645z but I do like the look I get from my 645n and I agree there is a bit of a curve with how you use aperture. Even at 5.6 you can easily blow out shallow DOF on portraits ect
11-02-2019, 09:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure you'll enjoy learning the capabilities of this remarkable system.

The (very nice) side shot of the Camaro has at least five more dust spots in the sky for you to clean up. Then there are the powerlines

11-03-2019, 02:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Enjoy your new tool. I really like the colors on the dog photo. He looks epic, it lacks only a glass with whiskey and a Cuban cigar.
11-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great image quality (even visible here at small size) at the expense of usability, depth of field reduced margin of the aperture + shutter speed couple without increasing ISO.
11-04-2019, 07:33 PM   #7

I just got my Z a couple of months back. I've really been impressed on how spot on the AWB is on this camera.

11-05-2019, 02:05 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by tb1956 Quote
I just got my Z a couple of months back. I've really been impressed on how spot on the AWB is on this camera.
That is true, and not often mentionned. Among my cameras (a bit of everything), this is the best AWB I have seen.