Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Camaro5 Quote
If you do decide to let it go, give me first crack at it!
Will do...

11-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
That one shot sure is grand....but yes, it appears the 90 is all that people (like you) have said it is. I was, however, somewhat shocked at how slow the AF is. The limiter sort of helps, although I wish it was split a little differently, like maybe 4 or 5 feet to minimum. It means I can't use this lens for the occasional environmental portraits I sometimes need to do. Glad I have the 150....
Speedy AF isn't its greatest strength... For me, that is neither here nor there, as I mainly set my shots up slowly, manually and with precise care. But in speedy situations, it would be a limiting factor for sure. Horses for courses!
11-20-2019, 07:23 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The picture of the Sacré Coeur de Montmartre is awesome ! Hats off, sir !
11-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
The picture of the Sacré Coeur de Montmartre is awesome ! Hats off, sir !

Thank you, sir. Appreciated!

11-21-2019, 04:24 AM   #20

The 90mm is one my favorite lens to use. Optically sharp and the rendering is very pleasing compared to the 75mm and 150mm which I use when I want to shoot long.The 75mm is convenient since it's so small and lightweight but you can see the quality difference. The 150mm shows more CA and is not as sharp as the 90mm. I also have to shoot the 150 at a shutter speed 1.5x or 2x its focal length I risk a blurry shot. The 90mm having stabilization is really handy.

I purchased the 90mm used about 2 years ago and I occasionally have the lens get stuck at infinity focus as DIGIDOWNUNDER mentioned. This maybe happens once every 4-5 months. It's not a normal occurrence and once I turn off the camera and gently push the lens a little back in, it operates like normal again. I was never sure if this is a failure that needs to be repaired or if this happens with all users of this lens.

I use it on a P645D as an everyday camera and throw it in my normal backpack while on outings with my family. While usually I will use the 35mm or 55mm because I'm shooting my kids who are always moving, when I do use the 90mm, with the right amount of daylight, I get some amazing shots that just stand out from those former lands. I always use the 90 handheld and rarely am I on tripod. I find the image stabilization really helpful as I don't like pushing the 645D past 400 ISO during the day or 800 at night. I imagine using it on the Z gives more flexibility with its better ISO performance.

The weight does force me to make decisions sometimes. Since I'm carrying it in my backpack of limited space alongside other things, sometimes I opt to just take just the 35mm and the 90mm. If I want to pack light, I might go with the 35mm & 75mm or simply the 55mm. I rarely go out with just the 90mm alone on the camera.

When I travel I'll bring most of the lenses that I have on the trip and then just pack 2 or 3 lenses as I described above when I'm out on a day excursion.

If it matters any, here's the number of shots I took this year between Jan 1st until about a week or two ago since my last import session:

DFA35mm: 2,785
DFA55mm: 5,456
FA75mm: 565
DFA90mm: 4,131
FA80-160: 340
FA 150: 1329
11-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #21

The 90mm is one my favorite lens to use. Optically sharp and the rendering is very pleasing compared to the 75mm and 150mm which I use when I want to shoot long.The 75mm is convenient since it's so small and lightweight but you can see the quality difference. The 150mm shows more CA and is not as sharp as the 90mm. I also have to shoot the 150 at a shutter speed 1.5x or 2x its focal length I risk a blurry shot. The 90mm having stabilization is really handy.

I purchased the 90mm used about 2 years ago and I occasionally have the lens get stuck at infinity focus as DIGIDOWNUNDER mentioned. This maybe happens once every 4-5 months. It's not a normal occurrence and once I turn off the camera and gently push the lens a little back in, it operates like normal again. I was never sure if this is a failure that needs to be repaired or if this happens with all users of this lens.

I use it on a P645D as an everyday camera and throw it in my normal backpack while on outings with my family. While usually I will use the 35mm or 55mm because I'm shooting my kids who are always moving, when I do use the 90mm, with the right amount of daylight, I get some amazing shots that just stand out from those former lands. I always use the 90 handheld and rarely am I on tripod. I find the image stabilization really helpful as I don't like pushing the 645D past 400 ISO during the day or 800 at night. I imagine using it on the Z gives more flexibility with its better ISO performance.

The weight does force me to make decisions sometimes. Since I'm carrying it in my backpack of limited space alongside other things, sometimes I opt to just take just the 35mm and the 90mm. If I want to pack light, I might go with the 35mm & 75mm or simply the 55mm. I rarely go out with just the 90mm alone on the camera.

When I travel I'll bring most of the lenses that I have on the trip and then just pack 2 or 3 lenses as I described above when I'm out on a day excursion.

If it matters any, here's the number of shots I took this year between Jan 1st until about a week or two ago since my last import session:

DFA35mm: 3,615
DFA55mm: 5,456
FA75mm: 565
DFA90mm: 4,131
FA80-160: 340
FA 150: 1329
11-22-2019, 03:22 AM   #22

For a lightweight 2 lens kit, I find D-FA 35 + D-FA 90 work well together ; high quality, and focal length distant enough from one another.

11-22-2019, 04:34 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
I love the 90mm lens. It is optically superb. Big and heavy, of course. I very seldom make any use of the image stabilisation or the macro capabilities. But it's superb...

Some recent shots taken with it...

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]
Those images are really excellent both technically and optically! Congratulations.