Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2019, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lucky score: the DFA 90mm. Would like to hear from users.

Here in Baltimore is Service Photo, a great pro shop that's still going strong. Friday and Saturday they had their annual in-store sale event---a group of reps come in with wares, take special orders at special prices, there are various discounts, etc.

But they also invite Used Photo Pro to come in to purchase gear. I've done this several times, and they have always given me great prices for my used stuff. This time I took in a bunch of legacy glass (duplicates, now, and several under-utilized items) and a couple of other things and got enough back that I could then reach an excellent condition DFA 90mm from them, and only pay a bit less than $400 difference. This is a lens I had written off purchasing, so I am very pleased to get one. Last year I had managed to find the uber-rare 25 for an excellent price---the price reflecting hood wear, nothing else wrong with it. So, very lucky twice in a row.

So, I'd like to hear from those who have the 90 about their experiences, what to look for , any issues, etc. Thanks in advance.

11-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I never knew their was a DFA90.
11-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Congratulations. I imagine that was quite a lot of used gear traded in regardless.
11-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I never knew their was a DFA90.
It's medium format's lens

11-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Congratulations. I imagine that was quite a lot of used gear traded in regardless.
Well, yes....but mostly lower monetary value. One always takes a hit, of course, but I'm not complaining!
11-10-2019, 06:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well, yes....but mostly lower monetary value. One always takes a hit, of course, but I'm not complaining!
If it's not doing you any use, then certainly it's better off traded for something you want. Again, congrats, that looks like sweet lens.
11-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #7

Your story sounds a lot like mine. I happened to snag both the 25 & 90 at good prices. 90 AF focus is inherently slower than other 645 lenses including screw drive due to the nature of a long focus throw heavy macro design. Stabilization is not as effective as smaller formats and in camera IBIS but still helpful. Focus accuracy is good as is performance wide open. You wont see any purple fringing on this one. I have heard of a few reports of AF getting stuck close to infinity and needing a push to get things going again. I think someone posted here about problems with stabilizer and weird humming sounds so check operation of both of these. I think this is a lens you have to power and use from time to time to make sure things are kept working freely.
Cheers Paul

11-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DIGIDOWNUNDER Quote
Your story sounds a lot like mine. I happened to snag both the 25 & 90 at good prices. 90 AF focus is inherently slower than other 645 lenses including screw drive due to the nature of a long focus throw heavy macro design. Stabilization is not as effective as smaller formats and in camera IBIS but still helpful. Focus accuracy is good as is performance wide open. You wont see any purple fringing on this one. I have heard of a few reports of AF getting stuck close to infinity and needing a push to get things going again. I think someone posted here about problems with stabilizer and weird humming sounds so check operation of both of these. I think this is a lens you have to power and use from time to time to make sure things are kept working freely.
Cheers Paul
Extremely helpful, thank you. How's that 25 treating you? I've been very happy with mine. Don't use it a ton, never for landscape, but for my use case---tight quarters in museum settings---very handy. Although I will say that trying to stitch it has been a fail so far. I'll try it again, with a lot more overlap.
11-12-2019, 02:17 AM   #9

You have bought a marvel of a lens, texandrews !
I own one since 2016, and don't regret it. The only problem I had was with AF engine which literally fell apart : lot of play in the front group at the begining, then difficulty to close the diaphragm, then no AF... all was taken promptly under warranty, and I assume it was bad luck with faulty component or abuse by previous owner (it was 2nd hand lens). It happened during my first trip with it, but I managed to use it until the end by pressing it on the camera to get the eletrical contacts to work ! So no bad memory in the end.
Apart from that problem, this lens is amazing, and one of the very bests I have ever used. Stabilization is a welcome addition, as it allows to get sharp images with slow shutter speed, and being 90mm, it is important. It is slow focusing as already mentionned due to macro lens design, but you can play with focus limiter to avoid it. Optically it is close to perfection : sharp wide open, no noticeable CA, bokeh usually quite nice (less nervous than the 120 macro for example). Being macro (only 1:2, though) it allows to play a little bit with some subjects, offering nice close-ups.
I remember a marvellous rendering of old buildings with late afternoon lights, where you could see all imperfections, cracks, holes, etc. Amazing détails captured with this lens !
11-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SylvainB Quote
You have bought a marvel of a lens, texandrews !
I own one since 2016, and don't regret it. The only problem I had was with AF engine which literally fell apart : lot of play in the front group at the begining, then difficulty to close the diaphragm, then no AF... all was taken promptly under warranty, and I assume it was bad luck with faulty component or abuse by previous owner (it was 2nd hand lens). It happened during my first trip with it, but I managed to use it until the end by pressing it on the camera to get the eletrical contacts to work ! So no bad memory in the end.
Apart from that problem, this lens is amazing, and one of the very bests I have ever used. Stabilization is a welcome addition, as it allows to get sharp images with slow shutter speed, and being 90mm, it is important. It is slow focusing as already mentionned due to macro lens design, but you can play with focus limiter to avoid it. Optically it is close to perfection : sharp wide open, no noticeable CA, bokeh usually quite nice (less nervous than the 120 macro for example). Being macro (only 1:2, though) it allows to play a little bit with some subjects, offering nice close-ups.
I remember a marvellous rendering of old buildings with late afternoon lights, where you could see all imperfections, cracks, holes, etc. Amazing détails captured with this lens !
Thanks, Sylvain. I did think twice about this lens, based on reports of the kinds of problems you had.
11-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #11

I would love to have a 25mm. With an equivalent of 20mm (19.75) on a 35mm I would think it would be perfect for wide angle landscape shots. Right now I use a 35mm (28mm equivalent) and it's a little narrow but I think the 4:3 format makes up for it somewhat. I'll do a 2 or 3 shot vertical pano if needed. I'm also working with doing vertical panos at longer focal lengths and have had good success with that. Definitely a different look, but still nice.
11-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, interesting. It may be I will unload my 25 soon....it's excellent, but I might have something else lined up...fyi, my first results with the 90 are stellar.
11-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well, interesting. It may be I will unload my 25 soon....it's excellent, but I might have something else lined up...fyi, my first results with the 90 are stellar.
If you do decide to let it go, give me first crack at it!
11-17-2019, 03:50 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the 90mm lens. It is optically superb. Big and heavy, of course. I very seldom make any use of the image stabilisation or the macro capabilities. But it's superb...

Some recent shots taken with it...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
11-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
I love the 90mm lens. It is optically superb. Big and heavy, of course. I very seldom make any use of the image stabilisation or the macro capabilities. But it's superb...

Some recent shots taken with it...

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]
That one shot sure is grand....but yes, it appears the 90 is all that people (like you) have said it is. I was, however, somewhat shocked at how slow the AF is. The limiter sort of helps, although I wish it was split a little differently, like maybe 4 or 5 feet to minimum. It means I can't use this lens for the occasional environmental portraits I sometimes need to do. Glad I have the 150....