Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Cool, can't wait to see them. Crossing my fingers so there won't be any mechanical interference!
Here's three shots and one of the 645Z with a Nikon SB26 speedlight and the M39 lens with adapter. The pics were taken handheld.

There's one of a quarter, one of a dime and one of a mummified spider.

The one of the dime is not in focus on the top half, but I posted it because I never realized that FDR on the dime had teeth, but can see them clearly here.

The spider I found under a cabinet. The paper it is on has lines, which are 1/4" apart, to set the scale.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DC-FZ80  Photo 
12-08-2019, 06:45 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobspez Quote
Here's three shots and one of the 645Z with a Nikon SB26 speedlight and the M39 lens with adapter. The pics were taken handheld.

There's one of a quarter, one of a dime and one of a mummified spider.

The one of the dime is not in focus on the top half, but I posted it because I never realized that FDR on the dime had teeth, but can see them clearly here.

The spider I found under a cabinet. The paper it is on has lines, which are 1/4" apart, to set the scale.
He's not only got teeth, but a lot of scars, too.
What f stops have you been using?

It looks strange on the camera. Kind of like a probe lens.
Have you tried inserting the lens backwards into the adapter and using extension tubes to give it the needed clearance?
It should show better results reversed.

12-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #18

Original Poster
Unfortunately there's a small knob on the focus ring of the lens that prevents it from being screwed into the adapter backwards, from the inside of the adapter. I have no idea how that would have worked but it was worth a try.
He's not only got teeth, but a lot of scars, too.
What f stops have you been using?

It looks strange on the camera. Kind of like a probe lens.
Have you tried inserting the lens backwards into the adapter and using extension tubes to give it the needed clearance?
It should show better results reversed.
12-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately there's a small knob on the focus ring of the lens that prevents it from being screwed into the adapter backwards, from the inside of the adapter. I have no idea how that would have worked but it was worth a try.
Perhaps if you find an LTM reverse adapter and with the appropriate step up rings you'll be able to reverse it. Does the lens have an A/M aperture switch? Might come in handy.

12-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #20

It has come to my attention that fotodiox sells an M39 screw type lens to pentax645 mount adapter. Also the Leica m45 50mm f1.8 lens sells for less than $100 on ebay. It doesn't seem intuitive as the m39 lens is a small rangefinder lens. On the other hand it was for a 35mm camera. I'm very tempted to buy this combination to have a f1.8 50mm lens for my 645. Anyone have any thoughts?
"Also the Leica m45 50mm f1.8 lens sells for less than $100 on ebay." Is this possible? How could a Leica lens be less than $100. Unless it has lost all its coatings or something. But what is m45?
12-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #21

Original Poster
Perhaps if you find an LTM reverse adapter and with the appropriate step up rings you'll be able to reverse it. Does the lens have an A/M aperture switch? Might come in handy.
Wouldn't reversing the lens make it even more of a macro? Right now with the 4x increased distance to the sensor the total field of view that can be focused is smaller than a tennis ball. The lens is manual, no auto settings.

---------- Post added 12-18-19 at 08:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LisaXXDavidson Quote
"Also the Leica m45 50mm f1.8 lens sells for less than $100 on ebay." Is this possible? How could a Leica lens be less than $100. Unless it has lost all its coatings or something. But what is m45?
My lens has the Leica M39 mount, but it is a Canon lens. Maybe the M45 lens is a M45 mount? I didn't see the ebay posting for $100 but did see some in the $800 range.
12-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wouldn't reversing the lens make it even more of a macro? Right now with the 4x increased distance to the sensor the total field of view that can be focused is smaller than a tennis ball. The lens is manual, no auto settings.
No, it just means that the lens, which was probably designed to work best at around infinity, gives better results reversed. Most normal lenses are designed to give their best results at infinity, or near it. Dedicated macro lenses, like the Olympus 50/3.5 are designed to work best at 1:10, for example. Others might work best at 1:1, or if they have floating elements, can perform better over a wider range vs. non floating element counterparts. 10x microscope or specialized lenses like the Olympus 20/2 auto macro perform best at 10:1 for example. No need to reverse those. Even the Pentax Auto Bellows 100/4 macro is recommended to be reversed for greater than 1x magnification. That's also the reason there's a P645/M58 reverse macro adapter set, where you can use the 55/2.8 reversed, for example, which gets more useful with the addition of macro rings, helicoid and/or bellows. Also, you can use wide angle lenses like the 28/3.5 super-Takumar for greater magnification, which also happens to have an M58 filter ring, but the smaller mirror box makes their working distances shorter.

My lens has the Leica M39 mount, but it is a Canon lens. Maybe the M45 lens is a M45 mount? I didn't see the ebay posting for $100 but did see some in the $800 range.
I think there must be a confusion somewhere. Either it was a typo, e.g. m645 (Mamiya)? There's L39(LTM), M39 and M49, but no M45. There's a Leica M4 camera…

Last edited by torashi; 12-19-2019 at 10:39 AM.