Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2019, 06:11 AM   #1

Pentax 67 where to buy

Hello everybody!

After years shooting 35mm and dreaming about a medium format camera, finally I have decided to get one. I thought about the Pentax 67. I have been reading many posts in this forum and many other blogs and Youtube channels. My problem is where to get the camera. I live in the south of Spain and it is really hard to find a trusty Pentax 67 here, so I will need to buy on the Internet. My concern is after reading a couple of posts about the risks of buying in Ebay, I haven't got many options.

Thank you so much for any advice regarding this.

11-19-2019, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hola y bienvenido!

Keep in mind there are various generations of 67s and they have been out of production for a while. Early copies of the last generation are now pushing 20+ years old.
While eBay can pose many risks, it is still a good source as long as you stay within the official and traceable channels like contacting the seller via ebay messaging, using Paypal, checking feedback ratings etc. You need to look carefully and read all details. Are returns accepted? Has it been tested or serviced recently? Are the pictures of the actual item? etc.
The other source would be a post in this forum's wanted section. The marketplace here is very busy with activity and my experience has been wonderful. Not so to my wallet but that's another story
Best of luck in your search!

Thanks,
11-19-2019, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum.

6x7s are generally hard to find in the UK, most on ebay are from Japan (with fewer from the USA). Whilst I've bought 6x7 lenses from Japan, these are much less complicated than buying a camera. UK customs duty & tax add about 25% to the cost for lenses - cameras may be different. My preference would always be to buy from a dealer with warranty etc, although this is getting harder. Most UK dealers would probably ship to Spain, even so, 6x7s are thin on the ground. I bought a 6x7 MLU from ebay which had significant problems - it was still usable and I negotiated a partial refund rather than send it back. Buying from Japan is much more complicated if it goes wrong (high shipping costs and claiming back any customs taxes in addition to the normal ebay wrangling).

These are very old cameras, the 6x7 MLUs & 67s are generally 30-40yr old cameras, the earlier 6x7 non-MLU is less repairable and the 67ii is out of sight price-wise (and still 20yrs old). Getting any of them repaired (or CLA'd) might be a problem in Europe (I don't know anywhere in the UK).

They are fantastic cameras to use, I wish you well in your search.
11-19-2019, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Japan is a good source though I suspect that buying from an EU country will not cost you import tax. I'm not sure how much import tax would be from Japan, or who you would ask.

11-19-2019, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Hola!
Japan would be your best option in sourcing a Pentax 67 (note, this means the later, 1989-era camera, not the strife-prone Pentax 6x7 from 1969 onward). eBay dealers in Japan are generally well regarded but tend to often miss the mark when grading equipment correctly. Their descriptions also leave open some doubt because they are not quite up there with the best of the English-speaking world, but they do try, and will happily engage with you if you have more detailed enquiries.
11-19-2019, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

I am waiting for a friend to ring back regarding your query on a Pentax 67.
I will let you know the outcome as soon as I speak to him.
He isin Sydney, Australia.

Regards,
Gordon.
11-20-2019, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I purchased most of my 645 lenses on eBay in Japan and never had any problems. Japanese sellers are straightforward and efficient and they sell surprisingly beautiful items at reasonable prices. I just received a 645 FA 150-300 mm f/5.6 zoom in like-new condition. I paid 260 $ U.S. and it sells new for 2696 $ U.S. in North America. I also bought a 6X7 M* 300 mm f/4 and a 6X7 55-100 mm f/4.5 zoom a couple of years ago and they were in top shape too. I bought a 645N camera body a few years back and I was very satisfied with my purchase. Simply peruse what is offered on eBay, take your time and you should be able to find something interesting (a newer Pentax 67 at a reasonable price or a Pentax 67 II but these are still costly).

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 11-20-2019 at 07:31 AM.
11-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you so much guys for your responses. I didn't expect so much help. I'll try to find out if there is any Pentax 67 in the surroundings (although this is quite unlikely). Otherwise I'll try Japanese sellers on Ebay.

I really appreciate all your comments and opinions!

11-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When looking at gear from Japan based sellers on eBay, I have come to find that the rating system has changed dramatically in the last several years (I am USA based and am going by the rating system of KEH).

The trend I have seen (for the items I typically look for) is that what used to be EXC (excellent) from a Japan based seller on eBay [and is still EXC at KEH] is now something more in line with BGN (again, compared to what KEH considers BGN or Bargain) or even AS-IS. There are Japan based eBay lenses listed as EXC or even EXC+ or EXC++ that are described as having thin haze or small fungus - whereas that would never get a description of EXC from KEH. So I would caution you to read the descriptions closely and pay less attention to the "grade" given by the seller. Truly a case of buyer beware if you are accustomed to KEH based ratings system.

Having said that, I am still pleased with the majority of purchases from Japan based eBay sellers.

QuoteOriginally posted by aguilarat Quote
Thank you so much guys for your responses. I didn't expect so much help. I'll try to find out if there is any Pentax 67 in the surroundings (although this is quite unlikely). Otherwise I'll try Japanese sellers on Ebay.

I really appreciate all your comments and opinions!
1 Day Ago   #10

Both Keh (keh.com) and usedphotopro.com here in the US have pentax 67s available. I don't know what the shipping charges to Spain would be but both have good return policies that might give you some peace of mind in ordering an older camera. Like others here I have had good experiences ordering from Japan also.