Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2019, 12:38 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not too expensive backpack for 645N system?

Does anyone have a recommendations for backpacks for a 645N and a few lenses? I'll soon have a Pentax 645n with 4 lenses (A45, A75, FA45-85, A80-160), and I think my present Tamrac backpack will be too small (besides, it is already occupied with a Sony A6000 system). I looked up some old threads here on the same topic, but many of the recommended bags are no longer available. Thanks!

11-30-2019, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #2

If I was in the market for another one it would be a Lowepro 350 AW. It can hold one or two cameras, several lenses, a laptop, and other stuff. Adorama has them for $160. No tax and free delivery.

https://www.adorama.com/lpptc350aw.html?
11-30-2019, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #3

Ruggard Outrigger 65 DSLR Backpack (Black) PBB-165B B&H Photo

I just purchased ruggard from b&h for 49.99$, it fits my k1 and some lenses. For 49$ it s a good deal and it looks strong and has enough room for lenses.
11-30-2019, 09:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Camaro5 Quote
If I was in the market for another one it would be a Lowepro 350 AW. It can hold one or two cameras, several lenses, a laptop, and other stuff. Adorama has them for $160. No tax and free delivery.

https://www.adorama.com/lpptc350aw.html?
Thanks! You know, after spending some time doing web searches and watching some youtube reviews, that one is on my list of possibilities already. Do you have a similar Lowepro now? Do you think the 350 would be large enough for a 645N and a few lenses? I'll probably get a couple more lenses over time, maybe the 120 macro and a telefoto (200 F/4). They also make a 450 model that is a bit bigger.

I like the waist belt on the Protactic bags, to transfer the weight from your shoulders to your hips. After hiking many miles with heavy packs with the Boy Scouts I know that can make a big difference. I also like all the little loops you can use to attach things to the bag.

---------- Post added 11-30-19 at 10:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaisas Quote
Ruggard Outrigger 65 DSLR Backpack (Black) PBB-165B B&H Photo

I just purchased ruggard from b&h for 49.99$, it fits my k1 and some lenses. For 49$ it s a good deal and it looks strong and has enough room for lenses.
That one does look good and roomy, and certainly a good price, thanks! I'm concerned though that it doesn't have a belt that can transfer weight to your hips - do you find it comfortable enough?

11-30-2019, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #5

I do not have a Lowepro now. I have a newer Nikon backpack that is large enough to hold my 645z, an FA 35mm lens, and an FA 45-85mm. It also holds my D850, a huge 24-70mm and a tablet. I can use it as a "personal" item on a plane as it fits under a seat, even with all that in it. It will even hold the small Manfrotto tripod I use when I travel. If it wasn't so new I would get that 350 AW. That one is a little bigger than the one I have and if it can hold all my stuff I'm sure it would hold a 645N and a few lenses.

When I travel by plane I tend to not bring more than a few lenses. I use the 645z for landscapes on a tripod. The D850 gets used for hand-held street photography as the 24-70mm lens has VR and is a little easier to carry around.
11-30-2019, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are you interested ni simply carrying your gear or do you want extra features? Hiking, city, other considerations?

If it's just to carry gear, there are really many options available. Maybe have a look at the Mindshift Gear Ultralight series, or any backpack from Think Tank. I generally find them to be extremely well made.
12-01-2019, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't recommend a particular backpack, but suggest that these questions need to be answered before refining one's search among the available models:
How many lenses will be carried of what sizes?
Will one be transported attached to the camera?
Will they be in Pentax lens pouches, other brand lens pouches, or naked in their fitted compartments?
Do you have to carry spare film backs? How many?
How about additional film? Spare batteries? CPL filter? Flash or flashes?
Is internal room needed for a small tripod to hide what the backpack carries, or can it be strapped to the outside when carried?
Do you need to carry water with the backpack, or some other way?
How about food, flash light, emergency poncho, other trail stuff?
Does it have to fit a particular airline's carry-on limitations?
Is it important to be able to swing it around and operate it like a human attached table, or will it be placed on the ground for component removal?
Good luck.

12-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Are you interested ni simply carrying your gear or do you want extra features? Hiking, city, other considerations?

If it's just to carry gear, there are really many options available. Maybe have a look at the Mindshift Gear Ultralight series, or any backpack from Think Tank. I generally find them to be extremely well made.
Probably just some casual hiking, local parks and trails, and sightseeing in the suburbs. I may not take this kit into a big city like Chicago, though it is possible.

The mindshift and think tank packs look good but perhaps more than I wanted to spend.

Thanks - Richard.

---------- Post added 12-01-19 at 05:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
I can't recommend a particular backpack, but suggest that these questions need to be answered before refining one's search among the available models:
How many lenses will be carried of what sizes?
Will one be transported attached to the camera?
Will they be in Pentax lens pouches, other brand lens pouches, or naked in their fitted compartments?
Do you have to carry spare film backs? How many?
How about additional film? Spare batteries? CPL filter? Flash or flashes?
Is internal room needed for a small tripod to hide what the backpack carries, or can it be strapped to the outside when carried?
Do you need to carry water with the backpack, or some other way?
How about food, flash light, emergency poncho, other trail stuff?
Does it have to fit a particular airline's carry-on limitations?
Is it important to be able to swing it around and operate it like a human attached table, or will it be placed on the ground for component removal?
Good luck.
Lenses: 45, 75, 45-85AF, 80-160 I have with the kit now. Would like to get a 150 or 200, and the 120 macro too. Ideally I'd like to carry all, one on the camera (45-85?).
Lenses naked. No spare film backs now, maybe 1 some day. A couple rolls film, some filters, spare batteries, one flash (I have a 360 FGZ). Tripod can go outside or small one inside.
Room for light trail gear (snack, water bottle) is enough, I'm not doing big hikes.
Air travel would be unusual for me with this kit.
Opening on ground is fine.
Thanks!
12-02-2019, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Probably just some casual hiking, local parks and trails, and sightseeing in the suburbs. I may not take this kit into a big city like Chicago, though it is possible.

The mindshift and think tank packs look good but perhaps more than I wanted to spend.
Well, if you have no particular requirement apart from carrying the gear, just about any bag will do. Maybe even an AmazonBasics backpack.

It's easier to give precise recommendations when there are specific requirements. For instance, someone wants to carry a water bladder, that narrows the choices. Someone will hike for several hours, you need breathability and strong support. Someone will travel by place, you want a bag with few dangling straps, etc. For general use with little specific requirements, the world is your oyster!
12-02-2019, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lenses: 45, 75, 45-85AF, 80-160 I have with the kit now. Would like to get a 150 or 200, and the 120 macro too. Ideally I'd like to carry all, one on the camera (45-85?).
Lenses naked. No spare film backs now, maybe 1 some day. A couple rolls film, some filters, spare batteries, one flash (I have a 360 FGZ). Tripod can go outside or small one inside.
Room for light trail gear (snack, water bottle) is enough, I'm not doing big hikes.
Air travel would be unusual for me with this kit.
Opening on ground is fine.
Thanks!
Then perhaps setting this collection of stuff in an ordered array on a table or floor with padding sized gaps will reveal the backpack size needed.
12-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I realize that it is hard to give me advice when I don't really know my requirements and constraints. Thank you all for trying though, your comments have been quite helpful to me in thinking things through. I don't even have the camera and lenses yet, and of course don't have experience using this type of camera system and carrying it around, or even knowing what kinds of photographic situations I'll find I like to address with this gear. Time will tell.

To take advantage of "Black Friday" shopping deals in the US this weekend, I went ahead and ordered a Lowepro Protactic 350 AW II bag as it has some features that I think will be useful to me. I should get the camera and the bag this week, we'll see how it goes. I can always return the bag for a different one if I need to do so. I'll let you know how it turns out.
12-03-2019, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

To take advantage of "Black Friday" shopping deals in the US this weekend, I went ahead and ordered a Lowepro Protactic 350 AW II bag as it has some features that I think will be useful to me. I should get the camera and the bag this week, we'll see how it goes. I can always return the bag for a different one if I need to do so. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Yes, let us know how it turns out.

Searching for the ideal bag is a bit like searching for the holy Grail...

For my part, I have probably too many bags. But it has the advantage of letting me pick the best one for the job. I find that at times a messenger is better suited for me, at others a pure hiking backpack, or a sling, or even an inflatable bag (Veer 18, look for a review of that baby in the near future).
12-04-2019, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Kata 3n1 35 or (Now) Manfrotto 3n1 35 - I have the Manfrotto version and it holds my 645z, and 5-6 Lens, batteries and all required gear.

Great backpack
01-09-2020, 09:17 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update: I got the Lowepro Protactic 350 AW II bag, and I thought it was a very good product. However, I thought it was a little bit small for the 645N kit I wanted to put into it. Some of the lenses that I wanted to insert vertically were a bit too long for the depth of the bag, and it took a little more effort to put the camera with the normal lens attached into and out of the top storage area. I returned the bag to Adorama and replaced it with the Lowepro Protactic 450 AW II bag. The 450 doesn't look that much bigger than the 350 from the outside, but it is actually substantially larger (25L volume vs. 15L). I think this bag will work well. Unfortunately, I had to return my camera body to Roberts Camera under warranty since the multiple exposure lever was stuck. When I get it back (or a replacement body) I'll take a picture of the entire kit in the bag and post it here. In the meantime, here is a photo of the kit.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
01-17-2020, 10:13 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good news! Robert's Camera in Indianapolis, Indiana USA, is a family-owned camera shop (since 1957). They sell used camera gear on their website Usedphotopro.com, and also on Ebay as robertscamera. Their gear comes with a 6 month warranty. When my original 645n purchase (from a collector in Australia, through a contact here on PF) was damaged in shipment, I bought a replacement 645n body from Roberts Camera. It worked fine on the test roll, except the multiple exposure lever was stuck almost at the "on" setting. I contacted Roberts Camera, explained the issue, and they said to send it back to them (at their cost) and they would either fix it or refund my purchase price. I sent it, and 4 days later they had fixed it and shipped it back. I just got it today, all is well. I've purchased other items from Roberts as well, though the other items worked and didn't require any return. It is good to purchase from a firm that is both competent and honors their warranty. Now I can use that Protactic 450 bag for my "kit" above.