Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2019, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Does the line go to the edge of the film -- outside of the picture area? If yes, then it is more likely a lab/development issue.
Do you know which sort of transport your lab uses to process their film? dip and dunk or roller processor? Have you checked/cleaned your cameras film transport mechanism and tested your camera for light leaks?

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
A shutter fault may display as uneven exposure but I can't see how it could create a vertical line.
Something would have to be going very wrong for it to be visible on negative film stock. Personally I doubt this has anything to do with the shutter mechanism.

A light leak somewhere in the camera is a more probable cause IMO. It is not fun at all trying to trace light leaks down.

QuoteOriginally posted by ravenorxs Quote
I'm inclined to thing it's either an issue with the pressure plate or more likely the rollers
The pressure plate is safely behind the films anti-halation layer, the only time the pressure plate causes weird patters to show up is when you are shooting Kodak HIE, or if the pressure plate has somehow gotten oil or grit on it - but this doesn't look even remotely like that.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-03-2019 at 01:31 AM.
12-03-2019, 06:33 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try a roll of Ektachrome slide film. The processing will be different and you'll know if it depends on the Lab. I had a problem with my first 67 body, it only took 9 pictures on a 120 roll, so I got rid of it and got a 67 II instead : no more issues.
12-03-2019, 03:34 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
it only took 9 pictures on a 120 roll, so I got rid of it and got a 67 II instead : no more issues.
Not necessarily or exclusively the fault of, or pointing to a fault in the camera!
12-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The pressure plate is safely behind the films anti-halation layer, the only time the pressure plate causes weird patters to show up is when you are shooting Kodak HIE, or if the pressure plate has somehow gotten oil or grit on it - but this doesn't look even remotely like that.
With 120 film, the backing paper is always between the pressure plate and the film.

---------- Post added 12-03-19 at 10:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Not necessarily or exclusively the fault of, or pointing to a fault in the camera!
Mis-loading the film is one way to limit the roll to 9 shots.

12-03-2019, 11:56 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agfa, Noritsu and others made machines that use a perforated card to pull the film over racks with rollers using sprockets. After one card of film gets to a certain point another card with film taped to it is loaded. If a card jams in the racks other film comes and the film can start folding over on itself. If the lab unjams the first card things can continue on through the machine, coming out of the dryer normally. The film is still damaged but doesn't look that unusual. I have seen this happen and it looks similar to what these 67 negatives show. The film folded in the fix or later. If you leave another roll to be developed it probably won't happen and will remain a mystery. My lab apologized and gave the customer a roll of film and free developing.
12-04-2019, 02:21 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
With 120 film, the backing paper is always between the pressure plate and the film.
Serious case of Brain fade there, it has been a year or so since I last loaded a 120 camera myself. I get my assistants to load up the fiddly cameras, the easy ones I do myself

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
If a card jams in the racks other film comes and the film can start folding over on itself. If the lab unjams the first card things can continue on through the machine, coming out of the dryer normally. The film is still damaged but doesn't look that unusual. I have seen this happen and it looks similar to what these 67 negatives show.
That sounds about right, one of those maddeningly un-repeatable technical stuff-ups that leave people scratching their heads afterwards. One of the local film labs I work with here in Adelaide use a dip and dunk machine, the surface of the film is left untouched throughout development. Generally speaking there are fewer things that can go wrong with that process.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-04-2019 at 02:30 AM.
12-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Silent Street : My first 6X7 was really getting old and tired. It had always produced 10 pictures per 120 roll before but when it started skipping one image at the end of the roll, I knew I had to get rid of it. The 67 II was light-years ahead of the older models anyway, so it was a well-deserved retirement for the old machine.