Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
645 lens hood tuning

Aggravated by a lens hood that seems to be OK snapping into position for forward attachment as a lens shade, but is a bear in reverse orientation storage mode due to either or both of being hard to rotate into storage position or derotated out of storage position to remove it for reversal for use? This can be particularly difficult when using the 55mm DFA where little finger room is available for lens body grabbing when the hood is facing backwards for storage.

As it happens, a little experimentation with the screws embedded in a couple of my intransigent hoods revealed that this issue can be corrected. The hoods in question are a single molding; the screws do not hold any hood parts together. Using a Phillips drive #00 screwdriver, these screws can be loosened. What appears to be the desired positioning is for the two screws that have tops that are approximately the height of one of the plastic hood ridges should be backed out a smidgen to be roughly aligned with the ridge. The other pair of screws should be backed out slightly so that the ridge on the lens body that they contact slides just under the screw. Experimentation to find a pair of settings that work without excess loosening of the screws or the hood doesn't take very long. I only adjusted until I liked the result; optimality of both screw pairs positions might not have been found.

I suspect, but lack enough examples to be sure, that a sign of mis-tuning besides difficult rotations is visibly lost anodize on either the screws or the lens ridge protrusions that mate with the hoods.

12-14-2019, 11:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Interesting, the hood on my 18-55 DA has no screws. I'll check the other lenses tomorrow.
12-16-2019, 03:48 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
Interesting, the hood on my 18-55 DA has no screws. I'll check the other lenses tomorrow.
The hood on pentax lenses may or may not have the tension screws based on a factor of vintage/size/'prestige' of the lens. Here's a collection of pentax 'clip-on' lenses, from multiple eras, with and without the tension screws:

In clockwise order, from top left we have:
  • PH-RBC82 - 82mm front filter clipon hood, shipped with HD DA645 28-45mm
  • PH-RBE - 49mm front filter, shipped with D-FA Macro 100mm
  • Unknown part # - 77mm front filter, shipped with FA* 80-200mm 2.8
  • PH-RBC - 62mm front filter, shipped with D-FA 28-105
  • PH-RBN - 67mm front filter, shipped with DFA 645 55mm

12-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Checked mine, none of them have the screws. Good to know though