Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
But people hardly take double exposures if what gets posted here on PF is any indication.
Well, ME can be as subtle/"barely there" or as pronounced as desired or as conditions dictate or strike your fancy.
One of my images in the gallery is a ME, with the coloured sky "layered" for intensity. It is so precise as to be unnoticeable, and that was with the irksome unstable and awkward camera arrangement in snake-infested reeds (pic below, 2018). This is where I am now (crowded with Christmas holiday folk trampling everywhere) and it is un-bloody-believably HOT. Heading home Monday and get cracking prepping the Christmas din-dins.

---------- Post added 21st Dec 2019 at 12:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
[...]
The urban myth that medium format needs a tripod is just that. A heavier camera is a steadier camera.
Sorry, but it's not an urban myth. And it's a subject of contention that has really been flogged to death by people with less experience with heavy cameras. Handheld is fine for tiny prints, but go to the extreme of enlargements (mine are frequently up to 90cm across) and I can guarantee there will be movement visible. I would be failing my duty of care as a teacher in telling people that handheld rules the show; it doesn't; I'm about showing people how to maximise image quality by using a tripod and refined technique in many situations (not street!) irrespective of the camera's size, weight, lens or how stable your hands are.

Last edited by Silent Street; 12-20-2019 at 06:49 PM.
12-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

I refer to physics, and that whole inertia thing that says it takes more force to put a heavier object into motion than a lighter one. A tripod will help any camera, that’s a given, but the combination of heavier weight and less image magnification gives medium format the edge over 35mm or smaller when hand holding is necessitated.
This does presume the photographer has the upper body strength to hoist the larger camera comfortably.