Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

Z - 1/60 shutter lock

I enjoy shooting in AV mode often, with auto ISO when doing quick shots ..

I can limit the ISO range in the menu, but no matter what value I set, the shutter never goes faster than 1/60th. (With an fA75)

I could go into TAV mode, but my old k5iis would push the shutter faster in AV

Is there a setting I'm missing on the Z that is limiting the shutter? .. I'm not using flash or anything .. I dug into the menu, but didnt see anything. But I dont know why its limiting the shutter speed so slow

12-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loji Quote
I enjoy shooting in AV mode often, with auto ISO when doing quick shots ..

I can limit the ISO range in the menu, but no matter what value I set, the shutter never goes faster than 1/60th. (With an fA75)

I could go into TAV mode, but my old k5iis would push the shutter faster in AV

Is there a setting I'm missing on the Z that is limiting the shutter? .. I'm not using flash or anything .. I dug into the menu, but didnt see anything. But I dont know why its limiting the shutter speed so slow
I'm going to guess here, because I don't have time today to unearth the manual to see if I can find a clue.

Consider the "P" program mode. It takes the elements of exposure, time/aperture/ISO, and chooses a combination based on measured light level. The combination might be thought of as a point on a surface contour on a 3D plot. The contour moves with measured illumination. If shooting in one of the other modes that restricts one of the elements (plot axes), then the program looks within its restricted 2D contour for settings. To force operation along a single axis, one has to restrict two elements. The TAv will do that and let ISO move, but I recall recently discovering that I had to set something to keep the camera from just complaining about the settings. I don't recall the details, but I think I just pressed the ISO button while moving the rear dial to get into the allowable range and have the camera find an acceptable A and T. So my exploration leaves a lot of room for more work.

I suspect that your camera is trying to remain compatible with a flash. I don't know if this is a default behavior that is modifiable.
12-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In AV mode your ISO is set and your aperture and shutter speed are the variables. If you are changing your aperture settings and your shutter speed is not changing, the lens's functioning may be the culprit. When the FA 75mm is not on your camera, do the blades open and close properly as you move through the f-stops? If they do so, then there may be a problem with the contacts on either the lens or the body, i.e. the the proper aperture reading is not being transmitted to the camera. Cleaning the contacts would then be a good place to start.
12-26-2019, 07:44 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
I'm going to guess here, because I don't have time today to unearth the manual to see if I can find a clue.

I suspect that your camera is trying to remain compatible with a flash. I don't know if this is a default behavior that is modifiable.
Thanks yes, It does seem like it's being limited because of a flash somehow ... but there is no flash attached. I'll dig through and see if I can't find a menu somewhere that relates to the flash opposed to the shutter.

I set the 'program moeds' to sports, which I assume would favor a faster shutter speed, although note sure that mode is referenced in AV, or only in P.

12-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loji Quote
Thanks yes, It does seem like it's being limited because of a flash somehow ... but there is no flash attached. I'll dig through and see if I can't find a menu somewhere that relates to the flash opposed to the shutter.

I set the 'program mode' to sports, which I assume would favor a faster shutter speed, although note sure that mode is referenced in AV, or only in P.
If I had to guess, I would guess that sports mode shifts the contour surface in the A, T, S map toward shorter exposure time and hence higher ISO, if A is set in manual. I did not find any mention of 'sports' in a tour of my two 645Z booklets so I can't provide any counterpart Z description. However, the D does not have the practical range of ISO that the Z has, so maybe the D does something else.