Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2021, 04:06 PM - 4 Likes   #31

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm pleased to say I completed my AA battery holder hack. It's got looks that only a mother could love.. but it works perfectly and the camera is now a joy to use.

The holder had the 9v output terminals on its side, so I had to rewire it for the output terminals to be on the end and in the proper polarity. Solder, cutting springs, cussing..

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-H1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-H1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-H1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-H1  Photo 
02-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Boltonius Quote
I'm pleased to say I completed my AA battery holder hack. It's got looks that only a mother could love.. but it works perfectly and the camera is now a joy to use.

The holder had the 9v output terminals on its side, so I had to rewire it for the output terminals to be on the end and in the proper polarity. Solder, cutting springs, cussing..

😍Wow Great!

And I completely forgot about the holder, using the 9V battery as like it came with the camera.
03-16-2021, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #33

Hello,

having two 645 bodies and one working battery holder I started looking for solutions myself, here's a copy of my advancements (facebook pentax 645 group)

Power to the 645 - part one

I do like the original Pentax 645 camera, and up to this moment I never minded manual focus or having the less performant metering system compared to the 645N(ii). I manage
Main perks : the diopter adjustement's drifting away ( I improvised a cap from a water bottle I put over the eyepiece to prevent it from being pushed inwards in my bag), and the camera's Achilles' heel : the battery pack. Over time many of these have cracked under the pressure of the spring in the grip, and they have become far more rare and expensive than the camera body itself.

Part one : repairing a cracked one
I got my hand on a cracked battery pack, and decided to reinforce it :
No use just gluing the backside cracks, they wont stand long against the pressure, so I reinforced with a thin sheet of metal (sodacans everywhere..) and contact glue (flexible). Important : roughen up the surfaces, otherwise the plastified metal won't stick. seems to work ... but now I notice there's a plastic retainer triangle missing on the bottom ... (§è§!!##@!!!!!)
Maybe replace it by a metal one ? but how..

Power to the 645 -
Part two : the grip's external power socket
An external power pack exist, you screw the connector cable into the grip to keep the batteries warm in your pocket when cold. Alas, it uses the same battery pack ..
Easiest solution would be buying the thing, cutting the cable and attaching it to a 6xAA pack you can easily make, buy or print. Okay, but they are rare and again bloody expensive for a stupid cable&connector. So why not make a connector .. the screw thread is seems to be M10, you just need an internally threaded tube narrow enough to go into the connector's recess. Just a good look in the hardware store .. Got it ! Or take an abs rod, bore and thread it.
Time to make a 3D drawing of the connector body..

As for the holder : I started a 3d model too.. just the beginning, still some scaling to do.. I think of making a dummy with a connector to a power pack .. or the real thing if I can reinforce it ..

---------- Post added 03-16-21 at 12:30 PM ----------

I just found 9V (4.8V) Li-ion rechargeable 780mAh block batteries exist.. seems like a good candidate for a stronger battery holder

Last edited by woutderidder; 03-16-2021 at 11:50 AM. Reason: missing image
04-02-2021, 06:19 PM   #34
Key

Hey would you mind going more in-depth on how you made the battery pack work for you? Maybe a step by step or even a short vid explaining.

04-15-2021, 08:25 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For those of you who used 9V batteries in there, how long did it last before you had to replace/recharge?
04-17-2021, 05:03 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
For those of you who used 9V batteries in there, how long did it last before you had to replace/recharge?
Hi with single 9V, I exposed around 20 rolls and replaced new battery before it stopped working, as I have more 9V in stock. Again exposed around 15 rolls and still working..
05-09-2021, 07:06 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And now with pictures.. using two 9V batteries, a roll of electrical tape, and a cigarette packet I found in the trash.. creating a usable battery holder on the fly in front of O'Reilley auto parts because the only extant one online was broken, from the UK, and $100.

It works, and I have shot a roll and a half with it so far. Yes, it is ugly.
Ingenious. MacGyver would be proud! Great job.

I was out once with the Pentax 67 and needed a battery. No PX28 to be found. Inside a PX28 are 4 MS76. Bought 4, stacked them and used cellophane tape to make a battery. Worked perfectly.

Thanks for sharing,

barondla

Ps I used to build C and D battery cases using Radio Shack holders. After a few years they would also self destruct due to the spring pressure.

05-10-2021, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #38

Power to the 645 - part three
I decided to make a 3D printed battery insert. I'm not a CAD wizard, but I made a copy of the bottom plate and a battery compartiment on top. To make it sturdier, I went for a single 9V block design and thicker walls. somehow the 'chamber was too high when printed, so I cut of a part. In this prototype I did some filing to make it enter smoothly, and to reduce the bolts that form the contacts. WARNING - it should fit snugly, but don't force it in or you'll break the tabs inside the grip !!!!
For now I joined the two parts with a piece of wood and two small screws, one day I'll make a finished insert.
As for the power source, I took a special 9V rechargeable Li-ion block, boasting 780 mAh against your average 200mAh batt, that should do the trick for quite some rolls. Anyone who wants to use these 'draft' 3D files,I'll make them available. If you follow the Pentax 645 facebook group, a pro member has jumped on the 3d-printed inserts too

Attached Files
File Type: zip 3d printed 645 battery insert draft.zip (302.0 KB, 51 views)
03-19-2022, 04:02 PM - 4 Likes   #39

In production mode right now. I have two different working designs and am developing a rechargeble option. Pictured are a group of standard 6AA designs and one that utilizes two 9v batteries.
I am in the Pentax 645 Facebook group.or email me at mphsfilmphotog@gmail.com
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G998U  Photo 
03-25-2022, 05:47 AM   #40

And now with pictures.. using two 9V batteries, a roll of electrical tape, and a cigarette packet I found in the trash.. creating a usable battery holder on the fly in front of O'Reilley auto parts because the only extant one online was broken, from the UK, and $100.

It works, and I have shot a roll and a half with it so far. Yes, it is ugly.
Very cool!
04-04-2022, 11:55 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by woutderidder Quote
Power to the 645 - part three
I decided to make a 3D printed battery insert. I'm not a CAD wizard, but I made a copy of the bottom plate and a battery compartiment on top. To make it sturdier, I went for a single 9V block design and thicker walls. somehow the 'chamber was too high when printed, so I cut of a part. In this prototype I did some filing to make it enter smoothly, and to reduce the bolts that form the contacts. WARNING - it should fit snugly, but don't force it in or you'll break the tabs inside the grip !!!!
For now I joined the two parts with a piece of wood and two small screws, one day I'll make a finished insert.
As for the power source, I took a special 9V rechargeable Li-ion block, boasting 780 mAh against your average 200mAh batt, that should do the trick for quite some rolls. Anyone who wants to use these 'draft' 3D files,I'll make them available. If you follow the Pentax 645 facebook group, a pro member has jumped on the 3d-printed inserts too

Good work on that! where ther is a will there is a way!
06-25-2022, 03:09 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Battery holder pentax 645-battery case for pentax 645 - 9v-wired & ready | eBay here is one 9 volt ready