Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #1

Tips on buying lenses for Pentax 6x7?

I recently bought an old Pentax 6x7 and would at some point like to buy the 105mm 2.4, preferably the SMC version. These lenses aren't easy to come by here in Denmark so I would probably have to order one online from somewhere else. There are a lot of them on ebay, mostly from Japan. Any tips on what to look for, the do's and don'ts? Maybe there are better places to buy than ebay?

12-30-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't recommend getting the old Super Takumar 105; too much lens element yellowing from the use of Thorium glass. Even some of the newer SMC Takumars had Thorium To be safe, go with the ones that have the rubberized barrel grip.
12-30-2019, 05:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
Are the rubberized ones noticably better? They're twice the price of the older ones but if it's worth it I could buy the newer one instead. Would you just get one from ebay or is there a better place to buy it?
12-30-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The rubberised "cobblestone grip" on the later generation SMC Pentax 67-designated lenses is mightily more comfortable than what you will find on the antique Takumars, and yes, they may be listing as more expensive but you are actually paying for very worthwhile improvements, sometimes in cosmetic/handling and others in optical refinements (not many). A few of the old Takumars had quite awkward filter sizes to grapple with, particularly the 55mm; the newer lenses has a more agreeable 72mm filter diameter.

Ensure your camera is thoroughly tested with a lens -- any lens mounted, to ensure it is serviceable into the future. Also read up on one of the more irritating idiosyncracies of this camera (also the Pentax 67, the newer model):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/372838-...ter-prism.html

---------- Post added 31st Dec 2019 at 02:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Xero Eddie Quote
Are the rubberized ones noticably better? They're twice the price of the older ones but if it's worth it I could buy the newer one instead. Would you just get one from ebay or is there a better place to buy it?
"Thorium", "Radioactive", "Yellowing". Yikes! Yep, Taks with thorium elements exist, and in some places they are highly sought after as curios! That aside, it makes a splendid conversation starter by the warm and cosy fire that you folks are jostling to get more of, while down here in Australia we're swimming virtually every morning and night to escape both the heat and the approaching bushfires (calls gone out to the US and Canada to send down firefighters to help!!)

Last edited by Silent Street; 12-31-2019 at 01:16 AM.
12-31-2019, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Pentax replaced the Thorium glass with a similar high index glass, so the 2 types are similar in performance. The 105 SMC Takumars beyond serial number 84xxxxx have the same optical configuration as the newer rubber grip 67 type, so buying one of those (SMC Takumar) could save some serious money.
01-01-2020, 06:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Ensure your camera is thoroughly tested with a lens -- any lens mounted, to ensure it is serviceable into the future. Also read up on one of the more irritating idiosyncracies of this camera (also the Pentax 67, the newer model)
The person I bought it from told me about the right way/order to mount and dismount the prism and lens. The light meter seems to work fine, but I will have to do some testing.

I ordered some rolls of Portra 800 to try out. It came with a 75mm 4.5 lens so I figured that a 800 film would be more forgiving in terms of getting faster shutter speeds.

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Pentax replaced the Thorium glass with a similar high index glass, so the 2 types are similar in performance. The 105 SMC Takumars beyond serial number 84xxxxx have the same optical configuration as the newer rubber grip 67 type, so buying one of those (SMC Takumar) could save some serious money.
This is really useful, thanks! So the only difference between 84xxxxx and beyond is the the rubber and metal exterior? Everything else is more or less similar?

I found a couple 84xxxxx lenses on ebay. From what I can see they should be okay and cheaper than the rubber ones, as you said. Any thoughts on the ones in the links?

**NEAR MINT** Pentax SMC Takumar 6x7 105mm f/2.4 for 6x7 67II from Japan #565 | eBay
Near Mint Pentax SMC Takumar 105mm F/2.4 Lens for 6x7 67 67II from Japan | eBay
Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 6x7 105mm F/2.4 Lens for Pentax 6x7 67 67II #21662 G3 | eBay
[Mint w/Hood] Pentax 6x7 SMC Takumar 105mm F2.4 Lens 6x7 67 67II from Japan 1374 | eBay
[Near MINT] Pentax Super Multi Coated Takumar (SMC) 105mm f2.4 From JAPAN | eBay
?TOP MINT?Pentax SMC Takumar 6x7 105mm f/2.4 Lens for 67 II from Japan C828J | eBay
?TOP MINT? Pentax SMC Takumar 6x7 105mm f/2.4 for 6x7 67 67II From Japan | eBay
PENTAX 67 SMC P 105mm F/2.4 MF Late Model Lens 6x7 67 II form Japan #. i36 | eBay
01-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
The lens in the link below looks good. Relatively cheap and in very good condition as far as I can see. And being 85xxxxx it should be a newer version with upgraded glass, right?

[Mint w/Hood] Pentax 6x7 SMC Takumar 105mm F2.4 Lens 6x7 67 67II from Japan 1374 | eBay

01-01-2020, 03:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
"The person I bought it from told me about the right way/order to mount and dismount the prism and lens. The light meter seems to work fine, but I will have to do some testing."

Yes indeed, especially if you are using transparency (slide) film, as the meter has a narrow (and perhaps erroneous) 5-stop range (+2.5/-2.5); this is well within tolerance for most transparency films but it still requires individual determinations to be made as to what is "too little" or "too much" when relying on the camera's meter, along with separate determinations when using a hand-held meter for exposures beyond the camera's limit of 1 second.
01-01-2020, 03:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

And being 85xxxxx it should be a newer version with upgraded glass, right?
Yes it has the upgraded glass and is optically identical to the newer rubber grip version.
01-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks again! I got my first rolls of film and took a couple of shots. Looking forward to getting the first roll developed. :-)