Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Strange Behaviour of 6x7 Batt Check

Got out my 6x7 MU after a while of disuse, put in a Duracell 28L (nominal 6v lithium) and the camera worked fine. However the battery check light did not respond.

I then tried a Sony 4LR44 (nominal 6v alkaline) instead, and again the camera worked fine and this time the battery check light did work.

Odd; I thought maybe the Duracell was low on volts so I tested them both (open circuit, as I guess the camera battery check would), and found that while the Sony was 6.0v, the Duracell was actually more at 6.5v, although labelled "6 VOLTS". So does the battery check freak out if the voltage is over as well as under? I know the handbook recommends alkaline or silver oxide batteries, and does not mention lithium.

01-15-2020, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Neither the Pentax 6x7, nor later 67 were designed to use lithium batteries, only silver oxide or alkaline. Actually, the two cameras pre-date the development of lithium batteries by decades. I'd be concerned that a spike in voltage could potentially be harmful to what is rudimentary electronics 'under the skin' of the camera.
01-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I won't put the lithium in again. It was naughty of Duracell to have labelled it 6 volts as 6.5 is significantly higher, especially as it is the sort of battery that would probably be used in sensitive equipment; it is hardly a torch battery. I never was a fan of Duracell anyway as I have often found them to be slightly bigger than other brands and not fitting into battery compartments - perhaps that's how they justify their claims of a longer life
01-15-2020, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good Lord.
Lithium batteries also do not 'report' the correct amount of life remaining in them by most modern cameras, which is why your Pentax battery check light, rudimentary as it is, behaved oddly; this because they have such a steep 'death curve': the point where power drops off, then vanishes abrubtly to nothing. If this happens in a camera that is for example rewinding film into the cassette, it could well stop somewhere along the line and jam. This has happened (years ago!) with my EOS1N running off 8 x AA lithium. The drive rewind slowed, made a disturbing noise then stopped, comatose. The film was jammed and no replacement battery or swearing fixed it. The camera had to be opened in the dark and the film physically cut out!

01-16-2020, 12:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Be aware that these battery check lights on this camera commonly fail. I use silver oxide only.