Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Old 6x7 Brochure

I recently found this old 6x7 brochure when going through my files. I think I originally found it in a junk shop, and it seems to date from the earliest days of the 6x7. There is no reference to a mirror up function, and one page has a picture showing it alongside the other Pentax cameras, which are Spotmatics.

The brochure shows a full range of lenses and accessories though, including those in the second picture. That 800mm f4 is a monster (nearly 18kg they say) and I wonder how many were made. I have the 300mm f4, second from the left in the back row, and that seems huge to me, but it is dwarfed by that 800mm.

01-17-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice one, scanned that could make a nice resource in pdf format.
01-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mmm. It's a gentle, nostagic tug at the forelocks of a bygone era, and a nice one!
MLU didn't come along until 1975 or 1976 I think, so the brochure is probably from the late 1960s.
01-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #4

This is from (more or less) the second era of brochures, possibly produced around the time that the 6x7 was first actively marketed internationally. The lenses are all Super-Takumars but the cameras have already been upgraded with the mirror-reset buttons and have the familiar slot style of film type select switch. The first series of brochures used photos of the chrome and black prototypes and had non production (possibly retouched) serial numbers on the bodies. Since the manual that shipped with the earliest cameras was a correct reflection of the production camera I would think that the first brochures were prepared well in advance of the system launch.

Another interesting point is that all of the early brochures list a 135/4 Super-Macro-Takumar but as far as I can tell this was only ever available as the Super Multi Coated Macro Takumar. Likewise the Reflex Takumar is listed as 1000/7, not 1000/8. These were the last two of the initial range of lenses to become available so presumably there were tweaks between announcement and delivery.

01-19-2020, 09:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
hat 800mm f4 is a monster (nearly 18kg they say) and I wonder how many were made.
I have only seen a few of these for sale over the years. It might have been too much of a good thing. The use of conventional glass limited its performance like the 600mm. Chromatic aberration was probably a serious problem at the wider stops. The advent of the 800 EDIF with its low dispersion glass, put the 800 f/4 out of the running.
01-22-2020, 01:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What's the flashgun bottom right? Looks a bit out of place and isn't something I've seen before?
01-22-2020, 10:40 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
What's the flashgun bottom right? Looks a bit out of place and isn't something I've seen before?
Honeywell Strobonar, can't tell exactly which model.

01-22-2020, 05:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by orengrad Quote
Honeywell Strobonar, can't tell exactly which model.
I think we're going back further in the time machine than my initial thoughts. If that is a Honeywell Strobonar flash, we are staring down the tunnel of antiquity. How is it attached to the camera body? I cannot discern this point from the photo.
01-22-2020, 10:58 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
If that is a Honeywell Strobonar flash, we are staring down the tunnel of antiquity.
'60's vintage.

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
How is it attached to the camera body? I cannot discern this point from the photo.
Simple flash bracket, attaches to the camera via the tripod socket.

I had one of these older Strobonar potato-mashers briefly some years ago, IIRC I acquired it as part of a Graphic outfit. You can see plenty of information on them at Mike Butkus's camera manual site. Scroll down to see various models, and do put something in his tip jar if you download any of them for saving:

Honeywell auto Strobonar 65c, 460, 480,600, 660, 628S, 700, 770, 800, 882 instruction manual, user manual, free instruction manual, pdf manuals
01-28-2020, 11:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Strobonar potato masher was a standard and probably the most popular commercial strobe of the immediate post-flashbulb era, and remained so until Sunpak unseated them with the 622 in the mid 70’s, notwithstanding the loyal Norman following.

Remember that Honeywell was the US distributor for Pentax well into the 70’s, so early 6x7 cameras imported into the US market were co-branded with Honeywell. So literature printed for the US market would reasonably include other Honeywell commercial products.

Rick “who, as a teen, dreamed about owning a Strobonar handle-mount flash, but ended up with a Sunpak 611 for commercial work” Denney