Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use Peak Design anchors on 645n strap lugs?

My new 645n came with the strap lugs that go on the posts, but not with a strap. I'm planning on using the Peak Design anchors (which I use on my 35mm cameras and on my Yashica MAT-124G TLR) on the 645n, looped through the lugs where the strap would normally go. Then I attach a wide neoprene strap to the anchors with the Peak Design quick connectors. Have any of you done something similar? I am using the latest thick-cord anchors, but I'm wondering if the weight of the camera and the sharp edges of the Pentax lugs may cause some issue. See pictures here: Pentax 645n, left side | Shows side tripod mount, PC socket,? | Flickr

01-22-2020, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I dislike quick connectors (worried they'll become quick disconnectors). I zip tie my OpTec quick connect plastic buckles together for security but mostly prefer a standard webbing strap and strap lugs with my P67 (always checking the lugs when I pick it up).
01-22-2020, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can check them more often for wear if you're worried about the sharp edges, I remember these show a different color when fraying. I've used them with similar lugs from 35mm film cameras just fine. I wouldn't worry about the weight though, the 645 with that lens is probably under 4lb/2kg, so not that much heavier compared to a k1 and a zoom lens really
01-22-2020, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Peak Design anchors and Sling Strap with my 645Z, but I use the two tripod mounts (with Peak Design plates) rather than the strap lugs.

The combination is very secure and comfortable, even when walking (and even running) on rough hilly trails as I often do.

01-22-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your comments. I was also thinking of cushioning the PD anchor cord somehow, with a short strap between, or a smoother ring. Of course, I have several extra Pentax fabric straps, maybe I'll just leave one attached. The first 645n body I got was damaged in shipment, and when the seller and I decided to submit a claim to the PO for the insurance coverage they demanded I bring the camera in to my local PO for inspection. Thinking it was just what they said (inspection) I brought the camera as I received it - with strap attached, 120 insert, and body cap. Once there, the PO demanded I turn the camera over to them or we couldn't proceed with the claim. I asked if I could at least keep the strap and body cap, and they refused, saying it had to be the camera as received. I should have argued but I had to go to another appointment so didn't have the time. So I lost the strap and body cap. If this ever happens to you, be forewarned.
01-22-2020, 06:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I do not use Chinese-made products on any of my cameras, and certainly not the well-documented failures that have been reported with the Peak Design QR anchors abrading and failing without warning. The heavier the camera, the more secure your strap should be, and this excludes the assumed 'convenience' of QR attachment points.
01-24-2020, 10:39 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, so I contacted Peak Design and they said that there should be no problem using their latest V4 anchors looped through the strap lugs presently on the camera. However, what I did was to not use the PD anchors, but to put a conventional Pentax strap I happened to have through the strap lugs. The Pentax strap is a bit narrow and shorter than I'd like. I'm considering getting the OP/TECH USA Super Pro Strap - Design B, which many people seem to like with this and other medium format cameras. The Super Pro strap comes with connectors that attach the the camera posts. The problem is, I can't figure out how to remove the existing Pentax "locking plate" strap connectors. Can anyone advise me on that? I've read the manual, which says to push something with a coin, but I've examined the connector and tried pushing various parts and nothing seems to slide. Here is a picture of the "lock plate" connectors that are on there now. Ignore the PD anchor loops, I've removed them since taking this picture.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
01-25-2020, 12:23 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
OK, so I contacted Peak Design and they said that there should be no problem using their latest V4 anchors looped through the strap lugs presently on the camera. However, what I did was to not use the PD anchors, but to put a conventional Pentax strap I happened to have through the strap lugs. The Pentax strap is a bit narrow and shorter than I'd like. I'm considering getting the OP/TECH USA Super Pro Strap - Design B, which many people seem to like with this and other medium format cameras. The Super Pro strap comes with connectors that attach the the camera posts. The problem is, I can't figure out how to remove the existing Pentax "locking plate" strap connectors. Can anyone advise me on that? I've read the manual, which says to push something with a coin, but I've examined the connector and tried pushing various parts and nothing seems to slide. Here is a picture of the "lock plate" connectors that are on there now. Ignore the PD anchor loops, I've removed them since taking this picture.
Never mind! I figured it out, after finding some good photos of the same locking lugs that I have (which seem to be different in design than the lugs for the 645 and 6x7 that I usually see pictured). What I do is pull back (away from the post) on the little metal tab that sticks out underneath the metal tab that the strap is attached to. They are a bit hard to pull, but once I did that then I can pull the entire lug away from the post. To put it back, I place the lug over the post, then push the little metal tab back toward the post to lock it in place. It still doesn't look exactly like the procedure illustrated in the manual, but perhaps I have a slightly different design. Now I know how to remove them, and can go ahead with the Op/Tech strap.

01-25-2020, 04:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wasn't happy with the OpTech B stlye connectors on my P67 posts (can't remember why now). Instead I prefer their 'Envy' strap ends (3/8") on the 6x7 lugs - effectively plain webbing ends like the Pentax strap. I still zip tie the two halves of each plastic buckle together.
01-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I wasn't happy with the OpTech B stlye connectors on my P67 posts (can't remember why now). Instead I prefer their 'Envy' strap ends (3/8") on the 6x7 lugs - effectively plain webbing ends like the Pentax strap. I still zip tie the two halves of each plastic buckle together.
Thanks for the comment. I'll check out the envy strap. However, their strap with the right connectors is only 20 some buck on Amazon, so I might just go with that.

I saw that Op/Tech makes little Velcro strips that you can wrap around their plastic quick connects to further secure them while the strap is in use. Similar, I guess, to what you do with the zip ties.