Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #1

Pentax 67 Wind lever and shutter shutter button

Hi there,

New to this forum and a new pentax 67 owner. When I received the camera I went through the process of a "dry fire" to ensure the camera appeared to be working - the shutter seemed to fire no problem with the classic sound. I replaced the battery, ensured the mirror was not was part way up, unlocked the shutter lock button, loaded film, cocked the winder until there was resistance, went to shoot - and nothing. The shutter button could be pressed all the way down with no resistance.

I have since removed the film and attempted to do a "dry fire" again in an attempt to trouble shoot. Now the wind lever is stuck cocked and outward and the shutter button still does nothing. I've tried the reset button but otherwise don't have any other tricks I can find online.

Attached are photos. I would hugely appreciate any help! I'm living in Nova Scotia Canada and there isn't a repair person in sight to help.

Thanks

---------- Post added 01-22-20 at 07:19 PM ----------

I was able to get the winder back to it's resting position using other forums. My original problem remains though - nothing happens when I depress the shutter button fully. Any thoughts would be very helpful!

Laura

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
01-22-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
G'day from Australia, Laura,
A reset of the 67 would be my first suggestion.

Where is the lens?? Put a lens on, and then load a roll of film in the camera (get an el cheapo roll, just for testing), sorry, but this part will ensure the winding mechanism is actually engaging and running the film on. Dry firing may be entertaining to see what the beast does "under the hood", but it doesn't necessarily prove the system is working correctly. So load up the film (START on leader of film to green arrow under 120 on the film rail), wind and wind and wind until the camera (should!) stop and cock the shutter when frame #1 is reached. NO force should be exerted on the winding lever when frame #1 has been reached, and the lever should spring back to its resting (closed) position

Next bit. With the camera set to B and the aperture on the lens set to anything at all, fire the camera once. If the mirror stops half-way, reset as follows: get a toothpick and insert it into the recessed access on the left of the camera (viewed from the front). Press in once, press the shutter again and wind the film on, observing the frame counter lines up to 1. Effectively, this resets the shutter mechanism, the usual method when there is a weak or dead battery.

The nearest repair to you otherwise is way out far east (USA) where Eric Henderson is based and runs the pentaxs.com repair facility. Contact with him should be made if the instructions here do not make any difference to the camera.

Your camera shows a rare treat: a removable back. An alternative back with about 250 exposures (I think?) was at some time available for heavy duty applications. I don't see many Pentax 6x7 / 67 camera with removable backs.
01-22-2020, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
G'day from Australia, Laura,
A reset of the 67 would be my first suggestion.

Where is the lens?? Put a lens on, and then load a roll of film in the camera (get an el cheapo roll, just for testing), sorry, but this part will ensure the winding mechanism is actually engaging and running the film on. Dry firing may be entertaining to see what the beast does "under the hood", but it doesn't necessarily prove the system is working correctly. So load up the film (START on leader of film to green arrow under 120 on the film rail), wind and wind and wind until the camera (should!) stop and cock the shutter when frame #1 is reached. NO force should be exerted on the winding lever when frame #1 has been reached, and the lever should spring back to its resting (closed) position

Next bit. With the camera set to B and the aperture on the lens set to anything at all, fire the camera once. If the mirror stops half-way, reset as follows: get a toothpick and insert it into the recessed access on the left of the camera (viewed from the front). Press in once, press the shutter again and wind the film on, observing the frame counter lines up to 1. Effectively, this resets the shutter mechanism, the usual method when there is a weak or dead battery.

The nearest repair to you otherwise is way out far east (USA) where Eric Henderson is based and runs the pentaxs.com repair facility. Contact with him should be made if the instructions here do not make any difference to the camera.

Your camera shows a rare treat: a removable back. An alternative back with about 250 exposures (I think?) was at some time available for heavy duty applications. I don't see many Pentax 6x7 / 67 camera with removable backs.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I put the lens on, loaded the film, wound until it stopped/reached frame 1 - the lever is back in its closed position. I set the camera to bulb, try to fire and - nothing at all happens. The mirror does not appear to have moved at all. Is this when I should attempt the toothpick method? Thank you again for the advice and for the interesting fact about the removable back!
01-22-2020, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ah, so! With film loaded, the wind-on accomplished and frame #1 reached, attention can be shifted to the shutter. I assume, too, that the shutter button is unlocked (no offence intended to you but many first-time people overlook this in waves of panic).

Next, see if you can activate the mirror lock-up button, right side of the camera mirror box (viewed from holding the camera position). This swings the mirror up with a quaint "CLOP" sound (to reduce inertia-induced blur by separating mirror slap and shutter travel). Press the shutter button (Bulb or a fast shutter speed, your choice).

If nothing happens, yes, move on to the "toothpick method", better known as the reset procedure! Press the recessed button, press the shutter button and wind-on. That is the reset. I would be concerned if, after this procedure, the shutter button still does not budge.

Note that with the mirror lock-up activated, it is using power from the battery; effectively, it is "waiting" for you to press the shutter. After that, the mirror should return to its normal position and wind-on can be accomplished.

See how you go with this.

Last edited by Silent Street; 01-22-2020 at 08:43 PM.
01-23-2020, 01:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. You mentioned it initially dry fired then you replaced the battery. Is the second battery good? Is it the right way round (it's easy to put it the wrong way round)? Have you tried the battery check?

Edit: I notice it's an AE prism, does the meter work?

---------- Post added 01-23-20 at 08:35 AM ----------

Remember the golden rule with a metered prism: ADVISORY: Pentax 6x7, 67 METER COUPLING CHAIN AND TTL METER PRISM - PentaxForums.com

Edit: Link corrected

Last edited by johnha; 01-23-2020 at 01:42 AM.