Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2020, 01:14 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Repaired P645 battery grip

I picked up a "non working" P645 a few weeks ago. 120 insert & 80-160mm lens, for a bargain price. I managed to get it functioning by installing the hand grip from my existing P645. I preceded to open up the hand grip. I found the issue, corrosion on contacts & a loose wire. Probably caused by said corrosion. I bagged it all up & brought it home. I cleaned the contacts & screws & soldered on the broken wire. BAM! Working again. Now to the battery holder. I am going to attempt to 3D print one, or, 3D print an attachment that mounts to the tripod socket, that connects to the remote battery port.

Has anyone here attempted to print a battery holder?

Video Of now working battery grip

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Moto z3  Photo 
02-01-2020, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ynnek Quote
I picked up a "non working" P645 a few weeks ago. 120 insert & 80-160mm lens, for a bargain price. I managed to get it functioning by installing the hand grip from my existing P645. I preceded to open up the hand grip. I found the issue, corrosion on contacts & a loose wire. Probably caused by said corrosion. I bagged it all up & brought it home. I cleaned the contacts & screws & soldered on the broken wire. BAM! Working again. Now to the battery holder. I am going to attempt to 3D print one, or, 3D print an attachment that mounts to the tripod socket, that connects to the remote battery port.

There is definite market for the 645 battery holders. If you successfully 3D print one and test it and it works, please let us know and if you'd be willing to make more and for how much $$?
02-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
There is definite market for the 645 battery holders. If you successfully 3D print one and test it and it works, please let us know and if you'd be willing to make more and for how much $$?
Will do. I do know there is a market. I am working on out a design now. Mos likely with rechargeable battery cells.
02-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will do. I do know there is a market. I am working on out a design now. Mos likely with rechargeable battery cells.
My two cents: When I can escape into the time and world of shooting medium format film, the economy of rechargeable cells is too much of a trade off with the shorter life. I use only lithium cells with my 645 now. With age on my 645, the slightly higher voltage from lithium cells makes it more reliable.

02-02-2020, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
My two cents: When I can escape into the time and world of shooting medium format film, the economy of rechargeable cells is too much of a trade off with the shorter life. I use only lithium cells with my 645 now. With age on my 645, the slightly higher voltage from lithium cells makes it more reliable.
My vision is to incorporate rechargeable lithium cells into the pack. With a charge port and possibly a level indicator. I was actually looking up the cells last night.

EDIT:
My initial design my use currently available rechargeable AA batteries, such as Eneloop. Then go from there to the actual rechargeable, fully encased, battery pack, which is the desired result. I will post here when I get the first unit put together.

Last edited by ynnek; 02-02-2020 at 09:34 AM.
12-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #6

Is there a trick to removing the top plate of the grip? I have removed the mounting plate but the top plastic plate seems to stick on the outside edge. Don’t want to risk breaking it.
08-28-2021, 04:26 AM   #7

Apologies for thread dig. Just investigating a non-working 645 I've purchased, and trying to disassemble the battery grip.

@ynnek, is there any trick to removing the grip locking screw (the item at the bottom left of your image)? I've removed the "lock" sticker to expose the smaller screw within it, but even with considerable force I'm unable to loosen it, and I'm almost at the point of chewing the screw.

Last edited by jman; 08-28-2021 at 05:17 AM.
01-19-2022, 09:21 AM   #8

Is there any progress on a printed 645 battery holder? I could use a replacement.

Thanks and toodle pip
03-19-2022, 04:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rekusu Quote
Is there any progress on a printed 645 battery holder? I could use a replacement.

Thanks and toodle pip
hit me up. i have a batch nearing completion
03-24-2022, 01:42 PM   #10

My 645 stopped dead and I put it on the shelf for a few years thinking it was main board; and bought a new used body. Stupid! I just spent the day fussing with the the old battery box contacts and it’s up and running! I’m going to try baking soda and the semi- hidden rivets even though no corrosion is visible. It seems beautifully built BUT 40 years of life might cause a impedance on the rivets.
03-25-2022, 05:27 AM   #11

Did you resolder the green wire? In the repair literature is seems unclear if it’s mandatory?
03-25-2022, 06:25 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Burlington05401 Quote
Did you resolder the green wire? In the repair literature is seems unclear if it’s mandatory?
I am not sure which wire it was. That was two years ago. I have slept since then. lol.
03-25-2022, 07:32 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The grip and battery packs are definitely the weak point of the 645, I see quite a few that are broken.
03-25-2022, 07:07 PM   #14

Yep, also found the battery grip full of corrosion on a 645. Just a pinch of re-soldering, and it all fired up again.
05-02-2022, 10:36 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hit me up. i have a batch nearing completion
Has anyone else paid for a 645 battery holder from the OP and have you received it? I paid for one from the OP a month ago, and I still have not received mine.