Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 83 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2020, 08:31 AM   #46
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
"It's his, I just have to carry it."
Ah yes! See! That makes more sense with a beast of burden in the equation! :P (I kid, I kid)

Seriously though, I'm suspicious people are just taking this opportunity to just list their favourite gear rather than being serious about how much they take with them (and actually use) on a hike.

02-21-2020, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Ah yes! See! That makes more sense with a beast of burden in the equation! :P (I kid, I kid)

Seriously though, I'm suspicious people are just taking this opportunity to just list their favourite gear rather than being serious about how much they take with them (and actually use) on a hike.
Especially since there is almost no situation i can't cover with 4 lenses. If I throw 5 in the bag, I can almost guarantee three will probably not be used. The trick is figuring out which 3 to leave.

I've been on so many hikes where the lens I mounted never came off the camera. Like having the K-3 and 18-135, but having the DFA 100 macro, Sigma 8-16, and DA*60-250 in the bag. After 15 km, I find I'm in that situation both shoulders and my neck are sore and I'm swinging the camera bag in one of my hands.

When hiking the 18-135 and 55-300 are all I need and one of those won't get used 90% of the time. I can go even lighter with the 55-300 PLM and 21 ltd. Now that's a sweet package to carry.
02-21-2020, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Cool set ups. How do you decide which bag to grab?
Thanks,
barondla
Most of the time it’s what I’m in the mood for. This is a experience hobby for me more than a outcome hobby. I like to use cameras, especially the sound and feel of mechanical cameras, but processing digital files is so easy I shoot less film now.

Most frequently I take the KP bag because it is light and KP has better ISO performance at any shutter speed. I take the K-1 when I know I want to be deliberate and have specific locations or shots in mind. The K-5 / DA* zooms is a new / used addition that I bought just to see why everyone seems to love that camera so much, so I’m still experimenting with it.

Also, I often cart the K-1, a tripod and a bag full of K lenses somewhere to get the full manual experience. I usually take a film camera on those outings because I have the lenses with me so the cameras get exercise.

I really should slim down my gear, if only for the money . . .
02-21-2020, 09:38 AM - 3 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Everything I've sold, I wished I had back at one time or another.

02-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. Me too.
02-21-2020, 09:44 AM - 2 Likes   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Me too. I'm allergic to selling camera & stereo equipment.
Thanks,
barondla

One time 3 of us Pentax users went on a shoot. It was a hike down a deep waterfall. We coordinated equipment. Each carried their dslr, tripod, and 1 lens. We swapped lenses as needed. It was so nice, no backpack, camera bag, or heavy weight. With Pentax 12-24, 16-45, and 55-300 we had it all covered.

We need photo caddies! If golfers can have them why can't we? I do rent a baby stroller when at the zoo. Love the employees reaction when they figure out there isn't a baby.☺

---------- Post added 02-21-20 at 11:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Most of the time it’s what I’m in the mood for. This is a experience hobby for me more than a outcome hobby. I like to use cameras, especially the sound and feel of mechanical cameras, but processing digital files is so easy I shoot less film now.

Most frequently I take the KP bag because it is light and KP has better ISO performance at any shutter speed. I take the K-1 when I know I want to be deliberate and have specific locations or shots in mind. The K-5 / DA* zooms is a new / used addition that I bought just to see why everyone seems to love that camera so much, so I’m still experimenting with it.

Also, I often cart the K-1, a tripod and a bag full of K lenses somewhere to get the full manual experience. I usually take a film camera on those outings because I have the lenses with me so the cameras get exercise.

Thanks for the info. The K5 uses a similar sensor to the K-01. Amazingly capable sensor, but without more post processing, I don't think the results look as natural as the K7.

Last edited by barondla; 02-21-2020 at 09:56 AM.
02-21-2020, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love that sensor in my K-01. After I’m finished trying the K-5 I’ll either sell it or the K-01. I’m leaning toward selling the K-5, all the APSc lenses and just using FF lenses on the K-01 and KP.

But then I’d have money in my jeans and probably impulse-buy the K-new.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-21-2020 at 12:41 PM.
02-21-2020, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I normally will carry two cameras on a SpiderPro belt with two different zoom range lenses for walkabout landscape and wildlife, plus a prime or two in the sling. For portrait shoots same thing except more commonly primes mounted instead with any spare lenses still in the case rather than in the sling. I do as much as I can to avoid in-the-field lens changes and much prefer a second camera at the ready.
02-21-2020, 12:14 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I normally will carry two cameras on a SpiderPro belt with two different zoom range lenses for walkabout landscape and wildlife,
I'd love to be able to do that, but where I live the probability is sooner or later you're going to fall, and having a camera not in a case could have dire consequences. My belts, which Tess calls my "contraptions" haven't been used in at least 5 years. But for you flatlanders, I'm sure they are a wonderful thing.
02-21-2020, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both of my knees have been replaced due to osteoarthritis in 2015-16. I had to use a walker for 18 months and then a cane for a full year. Seriously, I think I could manage with just my Pentax K1 and DFA 28-105 mm trans-standard. This is what I learned last summer traveling from Eastern Canada to the California coast. I carried all my beloved equipment (APSC, FF and 645) and ended up taking most of my images with the K1.

Regards!
02-21-2020, 02:10 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Both of my knees have been replaced due to osteoarthritis in 2015-16. I had to use a walker for 18 months and then a cane for a full year. Seriously, I think I could manage with just my Pentax K1 and DFA 28-105 mm trans-standard. This is what I learned last summer traveling from Eastern Canada to the California coast. I carried all my beloved equipment (APSC, FF and 645) and ended up taking most of my images with the K1.

Regards!
It's hard to explain the addiction value of that camera. More often than it should happen, I think of all the reasons I should take the K-3 and then pick up the K-1 and 28-105 and maybe the DA* 200 2.8 and walk out the door.
02-21-2020, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
My problem is that I actually do haul the vast majority of my stuff around on a hike eventhough my process is that I usually start with either the 100mm macro or 50mm on the camera and then at some point end up putting on a wide, the fishey, or a longer telephoto and leave that on for the rest of the time. The problem is that I never know what I am going to stick on although the 300mm always has a good chance of getting stuck on but other than that every other lens has a fairly equal chance except the 135 and 200 which see less but still substantial use.
02-21-2020, 02:51 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's hard to explain the addiction value of that camera. More often than it should happen, I think of all the reasons I should take the K-3 and then pick up the K-1 and 28-105 and maybe the DA* 200 2.8 and walk out the door.
Let's pretend for a moment that money didn't enter into the equation, like you could do a 1:1 trade at a shop; would you keep the DA* 200 if you could straight across trade it for the new 70-210? Have you thought about that one?

Seems like a 28-105 and 70-210 combo would be really sweet with a full frame camera and not too shabby with a crop body (throw in a DA 21 or DA 15 with the crop body just to get some width back if you like)
02-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How many lenses do you take when out photographing?

Usually three lenses, two in a waist carrier, for the 645z.

It has been 35, 55, 120. Or 35, 45-85, 200. Or 28-45, 45-85, 200 (perhaps a new standard for me).

Me, with waist pack. I carried the 35, 55, and 200 that day.

I prefer the waist pack for ease of access more than comfort. I can then use a small ultralight daypack for lunch, etc.

Rick “who’ll carry a backpack if needing a longer lens than 200” Denney

Last edited by rdenney; 02-22-2020 at 08:40 AM.
02-21-2020, 05:59 PM   #60

I have a twisted spine so long hikes or more than 5 kg of gear is definitely a no-no. Typically I drive close to where I’ll be hiking- leave “2nd choice gear” in the car and come back for it if needed.
So I’ll walk off with 2 medium or 1 large lens- just have to decide which are appropriate for the occasion.
But I have found a good compromise for those days when information is too vague to make proper choices. I put the A35-105 f3.5 “stack of primes” on my K-S2 and also carry the 1.7x TC, along with a Raynox to clip on for any macro work. Thus I’m covered for quite a range.
And if anybody wonders, the quality of images is still great, at least to my amateur eyes!