Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2020, 10:51 PM   #1

Do I Win for Highest Shutter Count? [Pentax 645z]

Hi Guys,

Just a quick hello first, as I just joined a few days back, though I've been a lurker for a long time. I've been a 6x7 film shooter for a long time and decided recently to jump into the world of digital medium format. I've been impressed by the 645z's quality and dynamic range, and of course the price is right on the used market.

I pulled the trigger last week with one of the big camera retailers online (would rather not flame them), and received my camera today. It was listed as Excellent, but unfortunately I got one that was labeled "E--" which is actually kind of a far cry from even that. The camera was unfortunately covered in a pretty thick goop across all knobs, the screen, every notch and nook had this stuff in it... basically old grime/skin/dna, which is kinda gross. No body cap, so of course the mirrors and inside look pretty dusty and there are a lot of hairs on this thing -- I dunno who switched it last second, or why (guessing they sold the "E")... but that stuff is all secondary as I have no problem cleaning it up...

When I ran the shutter count tool here on Pentax Forums, and on other sites (to be sure), it came back at 269,457 actuations...

Needless to say I think this one's going back -- I have pics of the goop if anyone is interested, but I thought I'd spare you. As for the count, I've attached that below... was wondering if this is the highest you guys have seen and if there is any way to find out if this thing has ever been serviced... aside from the goop loaded on it, it's fairly clean and looks like it must've been a studio camera, minor scuffs on the bottom.

Anyhow, hi everyone, and hope you all have a great weekend. Looking forward to picking up another body after this is returned/refunded and hopefully a clean specimen... till then the 6x7 will do just fine

Attached Images

02-29-2020, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a well used machine! Hope you get it cleaned up well.
02-29-2020, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, tonefreq.

That's high mileage, but I'm betting someone around here can beat that. It does, indeed, sound like someone got their money's worth out of the camera before selling it on. As for service history, I don't believe there is any way to figure that out, but those with more intimate knowledge of the 645z would probably have a better idea. If the camera is in good mechanical/electronic shape, but just dirty, it may continue to have a long life ahead. I would be skeptical, though, since it was largely misrepresented to you before the sale. The good part is that you got it from one of the 'big retailers' online and they will probably refund your money without issue if they have a reputation to protect.
02-29-2020, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I would send it back. That is just too many actuations - no telling how much life is left in this old timer. And in less than five years as well. It seems like it has seen some heavy professional use.

02-29-2020, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Shutter count should be listed by the seller, you wouldn't buy a used car without knowing the mileage would you?
02-29-2020, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Much higher than what is on my machine.
02-29-2020, 10:09 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, that's a lot of shots. Imagine taking that many in 6 years time. The 645Z is one tough hombre.

I just purchased a 645Z with almost 150,000 shots taken. Your purchase removes any worries I had. Surprised your seller didnít at least clean the goo off the one they sent out. Amazing. Hope you kept track of the serial number.

This does bring up a question. If a 645Z has the shutter replaced, does the repair technician reset the camera to 0?

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
02-29-2020, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Wow. I think the highest shutter count on any of mine is around 30k and I have a couple with less than a tenth of that.

02-29-2020, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never thought about doing a shutter count on my KP, 27,373 as of today.
03-01-2020, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Guys thank you all for the insight and the warm welcome here to the Pentax community. I wanted to wish you guys a great rest of your weekend (or start to your new week depending on where you are) and to say thank you! She goes back Monday but I look forward to keeping up with you all and yes -- wholeheartedly agree -- this shutter count gives me great hope and puts a lot of weight behind the 645z's build quality and the Pentax name, just solid.

Happy Shooting and be safe out there!
03-01-2020, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I use my 645Z often for star trail stacks, so I may have got quite a high count. Each of those shoots involves a large number of frames, often very large. Haven't thought to do a count, but next time I am home with a few minutes to spare, I'll check. The answer might be interesting!
03-02-2020, 10:18 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter

Welcome

Welcome to the Pentax Fora. My 645Z only has 15K shutter count on it, but that's from being discriminating about what I use it for. Mostly landscapes. I'm more in-discriminating about hummingbirds. I use my K-50s for that, one of which now has a shutter count of 410,222 as of today. But who's counting?

May your next body have less use/abuse.
03-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sucks when shutter count or condition is not as described. One seller did that to me with a 646D.
03-22-2020, 06:38 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
I use my K-50s for that, one of which now has a shutter count of 410,222 as of today. But who's counting?
That makes up for a lot of Aperture Block failures.
03-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #15

I got mine last fall from a guy that had just retired from being a photographer for Getty Images. It is a 2016 model and had 15,000 actuations. Got for $2400 which I thought was a pretty good deal. It has worked flawlessly but it did take some time to figure everything out.