Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upside down images

Need help. During live view the image is right side up. On review the image turns upside down on the 645Z monitor. Somehow I managed to get the images to automatically start displaying properly right side up on the 645Z monitor. Now all those images are upside down when viewed in Pentax DCU 5. I haven't been so disoriented since trying to use an EVF with big lens and image stabilization.

I manually rotated all the images in DCU 5. What settings need to be made in camera to get everything upright all the time? This must be something specific to the 645Z since its never happened on any of my other Pentax.
Thanks,
barondla

03-02-2020, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There's an "Auto Screen Rotation" setting in the configuration menu that affects playback. It's in menu #5 of the "Camera" menu set on the K-1 and I'd expect the 645Z to have a similar menu. And a "Save Rotation Info" (in menu C4) that affects storage of the data in the files.

What was the orientation of the 645Z for these shots? If it was straight down (e.g., copy-stand work) or straight up (e.g., astro?), there's a chance that the orientation sensor thinks you are pointed slightly past vertical and thus are slightly upside down.

If the orientation of the 645Z was normal horizontal landscape or portrait but still misbehaving, then perhaps the sensor is defective or confused. You could leave the battery out for an hour or two and see if that clears the problem or do a factory reset (noting all your custom settings before you do it). If the thing seems permanently wrong about the orientation, then it may need a repair or learning to live with the quirk.

Good luck!
03-02-2020, 10:01 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I understand it, you got that 645Z from Down Under. Make sure your date/time/location settings are accurate for your current location.
03-03-2020, 12:14 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Upside down images
Even if you are left handed, try to hold the camera grip with the right hand, so that the camera isn't upside down when you take pictures.

P.S I think photoptimist gave a good answer.

03-03-2020, 04:50 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
As I understand it, you got that 645Z from Down Under. Make sure your date/time/location settings are accurate for your current location.
What are you suggesting here...
03-03-2020, 08:16 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Unregistered User

There is a 180 degrees setting in the menu somewhere that I have not figured out what it does. Maybe that is the culprit?

EDIT: It is set in Camera menu 1...
03-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
There is a 180 degrees setting in the menu somewhere that I have not figured out what it does. Maybe that is the culprit?

EDIT: It is set in Camera menu 1...
That is the culprit! Trying to figure out why anyone would want an upside down screen? If the screen flipped up far enough, for a selfie, the 180 would help. Hmm a truly professional selphie camera. Pentax needs to bring out their matching heavy duty pro selphie pole.😃

Thanks,
barondla

03-07-2020, 10:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
On further exploration of the 645Z menus a second 180 degree option was found. One is in playback and it affects the display screen. There is a "hidden" one lumped in with Raw/jpeg. This one flips the info. When set to info flip mode there is an icon, on the menu guide screen showing a camera with circular arrows surrounding it. With both 180 settings turned off and retain rotation info on the camera works like normal.

Thanks,
barondla