Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2020, 04:51 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a user fix for a jammed multiple exposure lever on a 645n?

So, my trusty 645n which hasn't got a lot of love in the past couple of years, seems to have a problem. Basically the small multiple exposure lever on the left side of the camera is stuck sort of half way between normal mode (pointed down) and multiple exposure mode (pointed up). I've read my manual, and gone through a lot of deep diving here in PF and it appears that the lever is jammed. What happens with the camera, is that after I load film, and shoot one frame, on shooting the next (and next and next...) the shutter clicks, the viewfinder is dark implying to me that the shutter is open, and the film does not advance. To clear this, I've pulled out the battery pack and put it back in, which then the camera advances the film. Burned one roll testing this out, haven't developed it yet but, I suspect it's either blown out or blank for most images. Once or twice the camera actually advanced a shot mid roll but, in general, it won't work properly.

So, with the film out and the check plate (which is use to allow firing with out film), it sorta works better, but seems to be more reliable in firing when...the camera is in MF mode and/or the lens is out of the camera.

Again, I've read the manual and can't move the multiple exposure lever up or down. Made sure the batteries are new, cleaned contacts, and with out trying to dissemble the camera (something I have no business doing), can't see anything else to try.

I'm not opposed to sending it in for repair but I'd like to know if anyone has experienced this before etc. It's been a good camera for a number of years and I'm wanting to start using it more again. I just gotta figure out if this is fixable, for how much, and perhaps I may have to give this a good burial and get another used body but not before I give a go to getting this fixed.

Ideas? Experience?

TIA

BCB

03-15-2020, 06:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some suggestions here:
645n lever on left side? - PentaxForums.com
03-15-2020, 07:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Thanks, I did see that post and it's what led me to conclude that the darn thing is jammed. Just not sure where to go from here other than to the shop.
03-15-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Thanks, I did see that post and it's what led me to conclude that the darn thing is jammed. Just not sure where to go from here other than to the shop.
Sorry, I've never had that problem with my 645N, but it's both less expensive to fix than replace and once fixed, you have the confidence of knowing your camera vs. a replacement camera that may have underlying issues or another multiple exposure lever on the verge of jamming.

03-15-2020, 01:35 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Sorry, I've never had that problem with my 645N, but it's both less expensive to fix than replace and once fixed, you have the confidence of knowing your camera vs. a replacement camera that may have underlying issues or another multiple exposure lever on the verge of jamming.
Thought about that, but it's a very good point.