Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No mirror lock up with live view

Strange that the mirror lock up function doesn't work with live view. Seems it would be easy since the mirror is already up during LV.
Thanks,
barondla

03-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Which camera?
The KP works in LV with the mirror lock up function
03-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
Which camera?
The KP works in LV with the mirror lock up function
Pentax 645Z. My other Pentax DSLRs work as well.
Thanks,
barondla
03-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Pentax 645Z. My other Pentax DSLRs work as well.
Thanks,
barondla
Are you sure the mirror falls between exposures in live view? You can tell by looking for a "flash" through the viewfinder during the exposure sequence. My K-3 does not support M Up mode in liveview, but also does not drop the mirror during exposure.

Steve

03-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Older models such as the K-x drops the mirror to take a picture when in live view. The picture then happens as normal, with the mirror going up and down. When it's all done, the mirror goes back up to continue live view. It makes quite a racket! The reason for it lies in a mechanical limitation due the way the shutter mechanism is put together, but I haven't figured it all out yet.
03-19-2020, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Older models such as the K-x drops the mirror to take a picture when in live view. The picture then happens as normal, with the mirror going up and down. When it's all done, the mirror goes back up to continue live view. It makes quite a racket! The reason for it lies in a mechanical limitation due the way the shutter mechanism is put together, but I haven't figured it all out yet.
On some cameras (not sure which), a single motor both lifts the mirror AND cocks both curtains of the shutter. A pair of solenoids in the shutter assembly hold the two curtains in place until it's time to open the shutter (turning off solenoid #1 to let the first curtain fly) and then close the shutter (turning off solenoid #2 to let the second curtain fly).

To get into liveview, the motor does it's thing to lift the mirror, cock the two curtains, and the camera lets the first curtain open. But to actually take a picture, the camera needs to close the second curtain, reset the sensor to clear out all the pixels and then re-run the motor cycle to lift the mirror, cock the curtains, etc. After the shot, the only way to resume liveview is to cycle the motor again.
03-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
On some cameras (not sure which), a single motor both lifts the mirror AND cocks both curtains of the shutter. A pair of solenoids in the shutter assembly hold the two curtains in place until it's time to open the shutter (turning off solenoid #1 to let the first curtain fly) and then close the shutter (turning off solenoid #2 to let the second curtain fly).

To get into liveview, the motor does it's thing to lift the mirror, cock the two curtains, and the camera lets the first curtain open. But to actually take a picture, the camera needs to close the second curtain, reset the sensor to clear out all the pixels and then re-run the motor cycle to lift the mirror, cock the curtains, etc. After the shot, the only way to resume liveview is to cycle the motor again.
Thanks for a great explanation!
03-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can I be the one to ask why you would want to use MLU when shooting in LV ?

03-19-2020, 06:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Can I be the one to ask why you would want to use MLU when shooting in LV ?
no mirror slap, presumably. also it's a faster process.
03-19-2020, 07:05 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
no mirror slap, presumably. also it's a faster process.
Just reread the thread and understand that some older models would drop and then raise the mirror in LV.

My K1 keeps the mirror in place during LV capture. I assumed that was what all models did.
03-19-2020, 07:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been guilty of this many times, but sometimes we need to look at the section, this is posted in Medium Format.
03-19-2020, 08:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you sure the mirror falls between exposures in live view? You can tell by looking for a "flash" through the viewfinder during the exposure sequence. My K-3 does not support M Up mode in liveview, but also does not drop the mirror during exposure.

Steve
Will have to check if the mirror falls inbetween exposures. I'm used to the K-1 and just got the 645Z. I left the mirror lock up switch on lock. Using optical viewfinder all was well. Then I switch to LV to get more accurate focusing for a macro shot. The wired remote wouldn't work MLU. Thought the wired controller was broken. Then found out the wireless remote F wouldn't work either. Then I remembered reading the warning.

Does the 645Z have an electronic shutter like the K-1 or is every thing using the mechanical shutter?

Thanks,
barondla
03-20-2020, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #13

No ES on the 645Z...
03-21-2020, 12:38 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

Thanks for this explanation. Never thought about what‘s going on in this operation. I guess my K-5 works this way, KP not.
03-23-2020, 05:55 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The k-30 and k-50 also require a mirror cycle during liveview. In case anyone was curious.