Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,349
No mirror lock up with live view

Strange that the mirror lock up function doesn't work with live view. Seems it would be easy since the mirror is already up during LV.
Thanks,
barondla

03-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Crooski's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rozenburg , Zuid-Holland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,717
Which camera?
The KP works in LV with the mirror lock up function
03-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,349
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
Which camera?
The KP works in LV with the mirror lock up function
Pentax 645Z. My other Pentax DSLRs work as well.
Thanks,
barondla
03-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,883
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Pentax 645Z. My other Pentax DSLRs work as well.
Thanks,
barondla
Are you sure the mirror falls between exposures in live view? You can tell by looking for a "flash" through the viewfinder during the exposure sequence. My K-3 does not support M Up mode in liveview, but also does not drop the mirror during exposure.


Steve

03-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Wasp's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Pretoria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,718
Older models such as the K-x drops the mirror to take a picture when in live view. The picture then happens as normal, with the mirror going up and down. When it's all done, the mirror goes back up to continue live view. It makes quite a racket! The reason for it lies in a mechanical limitation due the way the shutter mechanism is put together, but I haven't figured it all out yet.
03-19-2020, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian
photoptimist's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,268
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Older models such as the K-x drops the mirror to take a picture when in live view. The picture then happens as normal, with the mirror going up and down. When it's all done, the mirror goes back up to continue live view. It makes quite a racket! The reason for it lies in a mechanical limitation due the way the shutter mechanism is put together, but I haven't figured it all out yet.
On some cameras (not sure which), a single motor both lifts the mirror AND cocks both curtains of the shutter. A pair of solenoids in the shutter assembly hold the two curtains in place until it's time to open the shutter (turning off solenoid #1 to let the first curtain fly) and then close the shutter (turning off solenoid #2 to let the second curtain fly).

To get into liveview, the motor does it's thing to lift the mirror, cock the two curtains, and the camera lets the first curtain open. But to actually take a picture, the camera needs to close the second curtain, reset the sensor to clear out all the pixels and then re-run the motor cycle to lift the mirror, cock the curtains, etc. After the shot, the only way to resume liveview is to cycle the motor again.
03-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Wasp's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Pretoria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,718
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
On some cameras (not sure which), a single motor both lifts the mirror AND cocks both curtains of the shutter. A pair of solenoids in the shutter assembly hold the two curtains in place until it's time to open the shutter (turning off solenoid #1 to let the first curtain fly) and then close the shutter (turning off solenoid #2 to let the second curtain fly).

To get into liveview, the motor does it's thing to lift the mirror, cock the two curtains, and the camera lets the first curtain open. But to actually take a picture, the camera needs to close the second curtain, reset the sensor to clear out all the pixels and then re-run the motor cycle to lift the mirror, cock the curtains, etc. After the shot, the only way to resume liveview is to cycle the motor again.
Thanks for a great explanation!
03-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,001
Can I be the one to ask why you would want to use MLU when shooting in LV ?

03-19-2020, 06:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 517
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Can I be the one to ask why you would want to use MLU when shooting in LV ?
no mirror slap, presumably. also it's a faster process.
03-19-2020, 07:05 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,001
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
no mirror slap, presumably. also it's a faster process.
Just reread the thread and understand that some older models would drop and then raise the mirror in LV.

My K1 keeps the mirror in place during LV capture. I assumed that was what all models did.
03-19-2020, 07:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampstead, NC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,280
I've been guilty of this many times, but sometimes we need to look at the section, this is posted in Medium Format.
03-19-2020, 08:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,349
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you sure the mirror falls between exposures in live view? You can tell by looking for a "flash" through the viewfinder during the exposure sequence. My K-3 does not support M Up mode in liveview, but also does not drop the mirror during exposure.


Steve
Will have to check if the mirror falls inbetween exposures. I'm used to the K-1 and just got the 645Z. I left the mirror lock up switch on lock. Using optical viewfinder all was well. Then I switch to LV to get more accurate focusing for a macro shot. The wired remote wouldn't work MLU. Thought the wired controller was broken. Then found out the wireless remote F wouldn't work either. Then I remembered reading the warning.

Does the 645Z have an electronic shutter like the K-1 or is every thing using the mechanical shutter?

Thanks,
barondla
03-20-2020, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Paris area
Posts: 131
No ES on the 645Z...
03-21-2020, 12:38 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
acoufap's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich, Germany
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,105
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
On some cameras (not sure which), a single motor both lifts the mirror AND cocks both curtains of the shutter. A pair of solenoids in the shutter assembly hold the two curtains in place until it's time to open the shutter (turning off solenoid #1 to let the first curtain fly) and then close the shutter (turning off solenoid #2 to let the second curtain fly).

To get into liveview, the motor does it's thing to lift the mirror, cock the two curtains, and the camera lets the first curtain open. But to actually take a picture, the camera needs to close the second curtain, reset the sensor to clear out all the pixels and then re-run the motor cycle to lift the mirror, cock the curtains, etc. After the shot, the only way to resume liveview is to cycle the motor again.
Thanks for this explanation. Never thought about what‘s going on in this operation. I guess my K-5 works this way, KP not.
03-23-2020, 05:55 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,445
The k-30 and k-50 also require a mirror cycle during liveview. In case anyone was curious.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, camera, medium format, mirror, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vibration reduction in mirror Lock-up vs. Live View on a K-1 Mark ii straton Pentax K-1 14 11-06-2018 08:03 AM
Mirror Lock Up = Live View?? Bob 256 Pentax K-1 15 07-07-2017 06:53 AM
K-r, mirror is not going up, no Live View either d1pr3d Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 12-19-2016 08:27 AM
live view noise and smc dfa 100mm f2.8 macro lens not focusing in live view tommygunn84 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 11-24-2016 08:59 PM
Live View causing body to lock up. Vormulac Pentax K-5 3 09-20-2013 11:48 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:23 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top