Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2020, 11:27 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
645z hack needed

There is one fixed feature on the 645z that I really wish was adjustable, that is the 2 second delay timer on the shutter release. It is an extremely useful feature because it will do a mirror up once you trigger the shutter and then wait 2 seconds and release the shutter. The only problem is that 2 seconds are not enough to stabilize the vibrations in a long lens. Five seconds or even 10 seconds would be a better choice.

The delay timer of 12 seconds does not help, because it does not trigger the mirror up at the start.

I know there are work arounds, but if there is an easy hack to tweak the 2 seconds into say 5 seconds, it would be my preference.

Any suggestions?

04-01-2020, 01:02 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know this isn't what you are seeking, Theuns. But you aren't happy with setting the Mirror Lock-Up knob, setting the 12 second delay, then pressing the shutter release twice? (First release locks mirror, second triggers the 12-seconds then fires the shutter without a third release being needed). Once you have these functions set, all you have to do is activate the shutter release twice, and you will have the 12 second delay from mirror-up to shutter. It's not very arduous (though it does require two shutter release activations)
04-01-2020, 03:26 AM   #3
Forum Member

The other option perhaps is to just take pictures in live view mode since that’s always in mirror lock-up.
04-01-2020, 11:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

How long a lens do you have on the 645Z?

04-02-2020, 06:21 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
I know this isn't what you are seeking, Theuns. But you aren't happy with setting the Mirror Lock-Up knob, setting the 12 second delay, then pressing the shutter release twice? (First release locks mirror, second triggers the 12-seconds then fires the shutter without a third release being needed). Once you have these functions set, all you have to do is activate the shutter release twice, and you will have the 12 second delay from mirror-up to shutter. It's not very arduous (though it does require two shutter release activations)
Thank Ed, Yes that is the "work-around" I am using. The down side is now I have to trigger the shutter with a remote. With the 2 second release I can skip the remote shutter, use my clumsy fingers and give the setup to stabilize. Just being lazy...
04-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the workaround settings activated, can't you just press the shutter button directly? With 12 seconds, there's probably just enough time for any movement to settle down before the shutter fires. No need, then, for a remote.
04-04-2020, 12:09 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
With the workaround settings activated, can't you just press the shutter button directly? With 12 seconds, there's probably just enough time for any movement to settle down before the shutter fires. No need, then, for a remote.
Ed, you ask the embarrassing questions :-)

I tested it again and you are right. They key is to switch to mirror up, then press the shutter to trigger the mirror up, then press it again to commence the 12 second count down.

I think when I tested it previously I must have forgotten to switch to mirror up first.

Thanks for the question :-)

04-04-2020, 02:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As long as it works and you have a solution, then all is good :-)