Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2020, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi,

Ok, as is probably obvious from my edit of my last post, I made it to Cape Lookout yesterday morning. So, here is Number Seven in the series of NC lighthouses. This is the shot to be used on the quilt blocks:

This lighthouse is the most difficult to get to of them all. Another boat ride, but a small boat as opposed to a ferry boat this time. This is all part of a National Park, so the small boats come and go from the Ranger station. It's a nice spot with decent parking and even a food truck run by one of the local restaurants.

Here I am using the 45-85 handheld, just showing the jump off point.

One has to go around a couple of other islands, and the next shot shows the lighthouse way in the distance. That water is between us and a much closer island, which blocks the view of the rest of the water between hither and yon. Lots of atmospheric distortion here and I'm using the 2x TC on the A*300/4 again. Not the greatest long glass, I know, but it's what I have. Not that the air was good enough for better glass anyway.

But, the money shots are in the can. Now to print up a storm. I actually have some customers waiting on quilt block sets so they can make some Christmas presents. I also have a sizable interest in paper prints, so I have decided to retire my old 13" Epson 2200 for a new SC-P5000 17" one. It arrives on Tuesday. I have been using 3rd party ink on the old one since Epson killed off inks for it, but don't feel right doing that commercially. Heck, it's old and the new one offers a lot more than just a bit wider carriage.

Stan

Last edited by wa2kqy; 11-01-2020 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Changed the long shot
10-19-2020, 05:44 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi,

I forgot about these two shots. They are of Bodie Island again. They aren't slated to be quilt blocks. Well, not yet, anyway.

This first is from my aborted trip to shoot Hatteras and Ocracoke. NC Route 12 goes through some pretty narrow spots and the Atlantic tends to cover the road with sand and water. So, it often winds up closed and so it was this time. They had cleared it after a storm passed, and so I headed down and stayed over night in Kitty Hawk. By morning a high tide with some leftover wind conspired to block the road again. So, I hit up Bodie Island for as good a morning light shot as I could get given that the East side is pretty much a marsh.

So, my trip wasn't entirely wasted. It was a long drive out and back just to get one shot I wasn't planning on using. But maybe I will make use of it one day.

So, a couple weeks later, I get to go back to grab Hatteras and Ocracoke. It was the same drill, drive down and stay overnight and then hit up Hatteras for morning light. Route 12 was happier this trip. After Hatteras it takes hours to get to Ocracoke as there is a ferry involved. Mostly waiting one's turn for a ferry boat. I had to wait for the sixth one, so that was a couple hours all in itself. By the time I got to Ocracoke, the clouds had rolled in. That was also good as Ocracoke is pure white and the clouds make it look even better than blue sky would.

So, then a trip back up 12. By the time I got to Bodie Island it was sunset. And, the coastal clouds didn't extend far over the mainland. So, there was a clear gap for the setting sun to shine though. So, here was a grand opportunity to show Bodie Island lighthouse in a different light. And, a different color, too.

While I was at it, I took it from a different position. Not that there are all that many positions to shoot from. I think I mentioned the tidal marshes already.

So, I think that covers the main reasons I went and moved up to the P645 system.

Next up, a series of South Carolina lighthouses. After that, Maybe Virginia or keep on going South. I have this list of ones to go to. It might keep me busy for a while.

Stan
11-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi,

Ok. So, back to Cape Lookout yesterday. Not a photo trip. One to take my wife out to look for shells. Not a great day for them and rather windy again as it was when I was there two Saturdays ago. But, still worthwhile going.

Anyway, I decided I wanted to take the opportunity to shoot the long shot from where we get the boat to the island with the lighthouse. This is with my Nikon Df with a Sigma 150-600mm zoom lens. I shot this at ISO 200 and f8 as I did the comparison shot from the 645D with the A*300/4 plus 2x TC.

If I had been smarter, I'd have either taken the Df with me two weeks ago or the 645D rig with me yesterday. But. I ain't that smart. Maybe next time. I also shot the 645D on a tripod and the Df on a monopod with the wind moving things. I should have been smarter and taken the tripod at the least. But, no. My light gear is the Df plus 28-105 macro zoom and the Sigma 150-600 plus monopod for that. And, that is what I had with me.

So, now that the shots have less comparison value than the should have, here they are:

645D, A* 300/4 plus 2x TC at f8 and ISO 200

Nikon Df plus Sigma 150-600 at 600 at f8 and ISO 200.

And, that island we see is between us and the island the lighthouse is on. That blocks our view of both the Cape Lookout island and Shackleford Banks. The lighthouse is quite an additional distance.

What I wanted to see is how does the older lens plus TC work more-or-less against a quite new superzoom. And, it does pretty darned good. And, as far as the rest goes, I like what I get out of the 645D better. I think the day was worse two weeks ago.

Next time, I will haul both setups and shoot them on the same danged day and both on the tripod.

Stan

Stan
11-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A man's work is never done, Stan.

Regards

11-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #65
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the pricing info
3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi,

And, the project continues. After getting the two sizes of the quilt blocks printed for the seven NC lighthouses, my attention shifted to producing shirts as well. Ok. So, all that is the Direct To Garment printer work and the original reason for picking up the Pentax 645D kit. But, then, something unexpected happened.

A demand for paper prints.

Honestly, this hadn't occurred to me. But, folks buying the quilt blocks asked for some. This meant I now needed to procure a new paper printer. I have this Epson 2200 here which I bought when it first came out. I like to take my shots and print 8x10s and stick them in binders for coffee table books. Also, the old low-res digital shots of things like lighthouses with several shots showing details, each printed 8x10. My wife uses those to draw her pen and ink images from. So, not a lot of printing.

And, Epson has discontinued the inks for the 2200. I had quite a stock on hand, but they are small carts and the whole thing isn't what might be all that good these days for printing for sale. I did try a few 3rd party inks and carts and found that the carts are all made in China by one outfit and they have a tolerance issue where the carts tend to leak and produce blobs. I went thru three sets of refillable carts to get one set where none leak. Rather a mess. So, I kind of gave up on the whole thing.

So, I went and bought a new Epson P5000 and, man! what a difference. So, now I can make what folks want and not worry about anything regarding the paper printer.

The final part of the project is redoing the front room of the screenprinting shop. This looks a lot like it did but now the sample shirts are no longer hanging on the grids and the lighthouse photos are. My wife has framed one of each and then all the sizes from 5x7 to 16x20 are bagged up and ready for sale. I thought y'all might like to see the end result. There is another wall we are still working on to display the printed quilt blocks, so I'll likely take another lousy cell phone shot of that later.

The design prints along the top are for her original line of shirts. Those were what was on the grids that we took down. But, we wanted to show the designs still and this is what she came up with. Just stick paper prints of the designs along the top.

The table is where she sits with customers to work out custom designs.

Stan
1 Day Ago   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm glad for you, Stan ! One tip maybe you already know : what alters colors the most in time is 1) exposition to sunlight and 2) oxydation due to exposure to ambient air.

When I produced 24" X 30 " prints from my Pentax 67 II pictures, I always had the final print covered with a sticky plastic sheet cover front and back so the support medium (paper and inks) would never be exposed to oxygen. I have 20 year-old prints still looking like the day they were made.

Regards,

Richard, P. Eng.
1 Day Ago   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wa2kqy Quote
Hi,

And, the project continues. After getting the two sizes of the quilt blocks printed for the seven NC lighthouses, my attention shifted to producing shirts as well. Ok. So, all that is the Direct To Garment printer work and the original reason for picking up the Pentax 645D kit. But, then, something unexpected happened.

A demand for paper prints.

Honestly, this hadn't occurred to me. But, folks buying the quilt blocks asked for some. This meant I now needed to procure a new paper printer. I have this Epson 2200 here which I bought when it first came out. I like to take my shots and print 8x10s and stick them in binders for coffee table books. Also, the old low-res digital shots of things like lighthouses with several shots showing details, each printed 8x10. My wife uses those to draw her pen and ink images from. So, not a lot of printing.

And, Epson has discontinued the inks for the 2200. I had quite a stock on hand, but they are small carts and the whole thing isn't what might be all that good these days for printing for sale. I did try a few 3rd party inks and carts and found that the carts are all made in China by one outfit and they have a tolerance issue where the carts tend to leak and produce blobs. I went thru three sets of refillable carts to get one set where none leak. Rather a mess. So, I kind of gave up on the whole thing.

So, I went and bought a new Epson P5000 and, man! what a difference. So, now I can make what folks want and not worry about anything regarding the paper printer.

The final part of the project is redoing the front room of the screenprinting shop. This looks a lot like it did but now the sample shirts are no longer hanging on the grids and the lighthouse photos are. My wife has framed one of each and then all the sizes from 5x7 to 16x20 are bagged up and ready for sale. I thought y'all might like to see the end result. There is another wall we are still working on to display the printed quilt blocks, so I'll likely take another lousy cell phone shot of that later.

The design prints along the top are for her original line of shirts. Those were what was on the grids that we took down. But, we wanted to show the designs still and this is what she came up with. Just stick paper prints of the designs along the top.

The table is where she sits with customers to work out custom designs.

Stan
Dang, you've turned this into a full time business! Whats next, 3D printed lighthouse jewelry? .
The store front looks super.

The Epson 2200 was the printer I always wanted. Never went for a fancy printer. It's a little shocking ink is no more. Makes me feel old.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla

1 Day Ago - 1 Like   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi,

Yes, it is all a business now. Of course, that was the plan and why I added the medium format gear. But, the business was supposed to be the quilt blocks and so a part of her screenprinting business. Now it is paper prints for sale as well.

It's not obvious in the storefront shot, but they are all in Print File clear bags. Yes, have to protect the prints. Most important. Hopefully, the customers put them in frames like I show off at the top of the grids.

I don't know about 3D printing them, though. Maybe refrigerator magnets....

Stan