Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2020, 12:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Exposure Issues (due to 645-FA 150-300mm or 645Z?)

I just started noticing some exposure issues with my 645Z where despite having the exact same camera settings, the exposure varies widely from image to image. For example, let's say I'm shooting at 1/60 sec, f/8, ISO 100...I don't change any settings, but from image to image the exposure varies widely.

So far it only seems to do this when using my 645-FA 150-300mm, so I'm hoping it's an issue with the lens (this wouldn't surprise me as I dropped it a while back and cracked the lens hood) and not the camera.

Any ideas on troubleshooting this?

04-08-2020, 12:11 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd start by looking at the aperture. Does the diaphragm work smoothly and stop down consistently?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-08-2020, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 @Adam. Also if you could post 2-3 examples with the EXIF metadata link, that would also help.
04-08-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
These were all shot with the same camera settings and shot in rapid succession, so I'm sure the exposure difference wasn't due to changing light.

04-08-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's an image, they were all shot with identical exposure settings, but they're totally different exposures when you look at them:

(in case the attachment doesn't work: Expsoure Issue (Image only))
Attached Images

04-08-2020, 08:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Would you have a DOF function on your Z? On my K3II I see a difference in Liveview for different apertures. So you might have a chance to repeat and check brightness of display and at the same time whether aperture closes always the same amount?
Just an idea.

I checked. this should be on page 67 in your manual.

Last edited by bwgv001; 04-08-2020 at 08:52 PM.
04-09-2020, 02:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ryan, In the attached image, what are we not seeing between these shots? For example between IMG9707 and IMG9710? Or between IMG9710 and IMG9713, or IMG9716 and IMG9718?

Because your lens has a range of f/5.6 thru f/45, with normal set at f/16, it still points to an issue with the aperture either not closing down enough or closing down or sticking closed.

To determine if it's the lens or the camera, trying another lens would probably reveal if it's the zoom lens or the camera.

04-09-2020, 08:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
it still points to an issue with the aperture either not closing down enough or closing down or sticking closed.

To determine if it's the lens or the camera, trying another lens would probably reveal if it's the zoom lens or the camera.
I put both my 28-45 and 80-160 lenses on and had no issues, so like you said it may be an aperture issue with the lens, which was also my original suspicion (and what I'd hoped for, instead of a camera issue).

---------- Post added 04-09-20 at 10:20 AM ----------

I just compared my 150-300 lens to one that I know has been working normally...I'm pretty sure it's a sticky aperture because when I stop it down manually using the aperture ring and then move the little lever (or whatever that's called) it opens back up slowly, instead of instantly like my other functioning lens.

Now, the question is...can I get it repaired anywhere? Or does it just need some lubrication and can I do that myself?
04-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
Now, the question is...can I get it repaired anywhere? Or does it just need some lubrication and can I do that myself?
@aslyfox mentioned in an earlier post getting their zoom fixed at:
Phototronic
119 NE US Highway 24
Topeka KS 66608
785 233 0231

Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 8 - PentaxForums.com

My hunch is that unless it's a one person operation like Eric Hendrickson, most shops are temporarily closed due to the Covid-19 situation. Unless you have the tools and experience, I would NOT try a YouTube repair. Zooms are trickier than primes....but hopefully a PF member has been there, done that, and can advise you otherwise.
04-09-2020, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
@aslyfox mentioned in an earlier post getting their zoom fixed at:
Phototronic
119 NE US Highway 24
Topeka KS 66608
785 233 0231

Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 8 - PentaxForums.com

My hunch is that unless it's a one person operation like Eric Hendrickson, most shops are temporarily closed due to the Covid-19 situation. Unless you have the tools and experience, I would NOT try a YouTube repair. Zooms are trickier than primes....but hopefully a PF member has been there, done that, and can advise you otherwise.
he is a one man shop

call to check if he is open
04-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
I just started noticing some exposure issues with my 645Z where despite having the exact same camera settings, the exposure varies widely from image to image. For example, let's say I'm shooting at 1/60 sec, f/8, ISO 100...I don't change any settings, but from image to image the exposure varies widely.

So far it only seems to do this when using my 645-FA 150-300mm, so I'm hoping it's an issue with the lens (this wouldn't surprise me as I dropped it a while back and cracked the lens hood) and not the camera.

Any ideas on troubleshooting this?
As already mentioned it is probably a sticky aperture and will require service. It also wouldn't hurt to wipe the body and lens contacts clean. I've seen dirty contacts cause problems. Good luck.
Thanks,
barondla