Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

645D vertical red line - problem solved???

I purchased a used 645D about 1 year ago. Only took about 200 shots. Recently enlarged one landscape photo to poster size and had it professionally developed. I was going through some photos and took a look at it again on my laptop. Discovered a red vertical line in the bottom left corner..then checked the framed photo and there it was! Both myself an the professional printing shop missed it. It appeared to be exactly like others have described with their 645D. Tried pixel mapping twice no difference. I sent Pentax an email and a local repair shop-the latter emailed back $150 to send it to Japan. So I was giving up hope that I was sold a camera that I could only use to ASA 200 or else have to crop, photoshop correct, repair, or buy another one.

So I checked the firmware on the camera. I was shocked that it was several versions old - 1.13 version. First digital camera I have ever purchased and did not check the firmware. Thought what the heck and updated and did pixel mapping again. Took a few indoor shots...looked at the same location in the photos and I cannot find the pixel defect.

Question...when going from firmware 1.13 to 1.33 did Pentax make any changes for the pixel mapping? Either I am not looking close enough to find the defect again or the firmware update+pixel mapping has solved the problem. I could not see any description of sensor/pixel firmware changes in the Forums description of the firmware updates.

Would appreciate any comments so I can believe I do not have a brick on my hands. Then I have to decide whether to reprint the photo again with the redline removed through software, and then remount again. Argghh...

Regards.

04-28-2020, 01:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Question...when going from firmware 1.13 to 1.33 did Pentax make any changes for the pixel mapping?
As far as I can tell, Pentax did not make any change for pixel mapping unless their term "improved stability for general performance" is including pixel mapping.

Latest 645D Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

If you run a few more tests and can't replicate the problem, my guess is that the firmware update fixed it.
04-28-2020, 05:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi,

It is common that R+D does not say all that much regarding all they address in a firmware update. Usually, it is one or two major items listed while they actually dealt with hundreds or even thousands of items. For each update revision.

I am glad this thread showed up. I recently bought a 645D and several lenses and was so into figuring it all out (being completely new to me) that I neglected to even think about camera firmware. It was at 1.00 (!), so never updated from Day One.

And, I am an electronics R&D engineering consultant specializing if finding and fixing issues of all kinds, including firmware ones. If anyone should think to check FW Rev, it ought to be me! :P

All is OK. I updated it just now.

Not that I saw the Red Line issue. But, I have been at ISO 100 in daylight for most of my initial familiarization shooting. I did run a shot at each ISO indoors in poor light just to see the SNR curve, but wasn't being too critical about it as my intended usage is outdoors in good light at ISO 100 anyway. If I need higher ISO, I have my Nikon Df and would quickly switch over to it. I have had (all this is relatively speaking) Hi Res, Lo ISO and Lo Res Hi ISO digital bodies since 2001 and am still quite in that mindset with the Pentax 645D and the Nikon Df.

Stan
04-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
took some photos...perhaps a few set of other eyes could confirm that I am correct that the pixel mapping has now been successful, or whether the problem is still there. Any help appreciated.

Sorry, the forest photos were taken vertically and the sunflower horizontally in the frame. Still could not find reline in all 4 corners.

The sunflower photo has a vertical red line in the bottom left corner...the other photos are after the 2nd attempt of pixel mapping after the firmware was updated

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF