Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
67 or 67ii ??

Hi All,

Would like to hear from anyone who has had some experience with either but preferrably both cameras.
I am thinking of getting one but the 67 is at least half price of the 67ii 2nd hand and i am wondering whether the 67ii is far better or the 67 is good enough.
It will be used for landscapes in addition to a K20D which will be used like a meter i guess at this stage.
Anyone got an opinion on which to go for?

Cheers Neil

10-30-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by knumbnutz Quote
Hi All,

Would like to hear from anyone who has had some experience with either but preferrably both cameras.
I am thinking of getting one but the 67 is at least half price of the 67ii 2nd hand and i am wondering whether the 67ii is far better or the 67 is good enough.
It will be used for landscapes in addition to a K20D which will be used like a meter i guess at this stage.
Anyone got an opinion on which to go for?

Cheers Neil
The 67II has a more organic body....
But seriously, the only real difference is that the 67II has AE, the 6x7 doesn't. I never quite figured out what the big deal was with that, since the camera doesn't lend itself to fast shooting anyway.

This, plus a 105 which isn't shown is for sale, and while I have an idea of what I want, I am open to offers:
10-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The 67II has a more organic body....
But seriously, the only real difference is that the 67II has AE, the 6x7 doesn't. I never quite figured out what the big deal was with that, since the camera doesn't lend itself to fast shooting anyway.

This, plus a 105 which isn't shown is for sale, and while I have an idea of what I want, I am open to offers:
I know you have heard it before but that is a stunning kit, Bill.

I am unfortunately and being reasonable to you, probably not in a position to give you a decent figure. But PM me and we may come to a compromise or at least strike me out. Australian dollar is not worth squat at moment which is the biggest issue. Whats its worth is probably fine but take the dollar drop and errrr

It seems a great product of which i would love to indulge in.

Cheers Neil
10-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Bill, Sent a PM. See how we go.
Cheers Neil

Last edited by knumbnutz; 11-02-2008 at 05:26 PM.
11-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knumbnutz Quote
Hi Bill, Sent a PM. See how we go.
Cheers Neil
For Mr Wheatfield.
11-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a few differences in the 67II...Note that I don't want to get in the way of Wheatfield's potential sale--great kit and great prices! And yes, I'm also selling a 67II body so am not totally impartial...

The AE pentaprism greatly modernizes metering and allows Aperture priority shooting which is pretty major for me. It's not a minor thing, it's major.
67II has TTL flash capability with AF500FTZ (and several other units) and for some that can be a big deal (I seldom use it).
67II also has a built in grip and rubberized grip surface. That might be what Wheatfield meant by "organic"?
Wind lever has quicker/shorter throw, ball bearing construction and more accurate film transport providing one extra frame per roll of 220 film--21 vs 20.
LCD information panel for at-a-glance check of battery, frame number, flash status ISO etc,
Easy multiple exposure button
Self timer
Lithium long-life batteries and power save mode.
Customizable settings--1/2 stop instead of standard 1/3 stop steps etc.

AE pentaprism has built in diopter adjustment, eyepiece shutter guard for accurate exposure with eye away from finder, 60% brighter view than standard 67 (Pentax data from original sales brochure). Full info viewfinder with exposure, shutter speed, metering mode, flash status etc. as in modern cameras. Multi segment, center weighted and spot metering, Exposure Compensation which is big for me. Stepless shutter speeds to match with aperture priority.

Finally, 67II is 80 grams lighter than the original 67.

So there are actually quite a few differences between the original 67 and the 67II. As noted by OP, price of 67II is at least double the price of the original and whether all these features are worth it or not is up to the person cutting the check!
11-22-2008, 04:05 AM   #7

67 II it's a pleasure to use

I have both and are not selling any.
I love my oldies 6X7 and 67 but having recently purchased the latest version, it has been a welcome surprise how it makes things easier and faster.
There are situation where the AE makes the difference between a great shot and nothing.
With a bit of practice and zen it can actually serve the street photographer well. With a firm hold and body support I have done church interiors colour slides (75mm shift lens) without a tripod with satisfying results.