Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2020, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheDocAUS Quote
Last week I heard a huge crash and bang outside my front door. My immediate thought was what was that!! It was Fastway Couriers delivering something from Amazon AU. ...
This is due to Australian rules football being more vigorous than the milquetoast imitations in other parts of the world that other countries' couriers practice.

07-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe they should change their name for "FASTAWAY" instead of "Fastway" Couriers ...

Regards
07-29-2020, 04:44 PM - 2 Likes   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I hope the shipping company or their insurers covered this. We hear too many tales of unprofessional behaviour; they should be responsible.
Well, since C.R. Kennedy has taken full responsibility for this, I am not party to those discussions. But I think the problem is that it was shipped from Pentax in the Philippines to C.R. Kennedy in Melbourne (at which point it wasn't fully examined, but it was repacked) then shipped on to me in Sydney. No one can say for sure on which leg the problem took place. Different legs. Different shipping companies. Different companies engaging the shippers (i.e. Pentax and C.R. Kennedy respectively). So who is going to say they are responsible? Tricky, hey! I am just pleased I am not stuck with all that...
08-06-2020, 12:51 AM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Every now and agian..... I give the parcel guy a bottle of the wine he delivered..... works wonders.

08-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #140
Pentaxian

So, Ed, do you have it back? Is all working correctly? Has the shutter count been reset?
08-13-2020, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Right! Sorry for the slow reply...

I have my camera back. Yet to do full testing in order to confirm for certain that the quality/alignment is perfect right into the corners etc..
But, on initial indications, the camera is functioning as normal. The shutter count has been reset (it's showing only 15 frames). In fact, the manufacture date has also been reset (presumably because of the new sensor in the camera), which is perhaps a little surprising...

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 08-16-2020 at 05:51 PM.
08-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sensors are astronomically expensive. When I received my Canon G3X superzoom from Camera Canada in Ontario, I noticed a nasty stain on the right side of images. I contacted Canon Service for warranty repair and they obligingly replaced the sensor in a matter of days. The repair bill the camera came back with stated the sensor itself was worth 854 $ and of course the workmanship and handling fees cost additional money. The camera was bought for 1199 $, so their profit margin was zero on this particular camera. A huge 33 mm X 44 mm sensor must cost a few thousand dollars just by itself.

Regards

08-13-2020, 06:13 PM - 2 Likes   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes indeed. Although the damage was not my fault, this issue could easily have dragged on unpleasantly with different parties disputing liability. Credit to C.R. Kennedy for getting this sorted out (not to mention the loaner) and, I suspect, wearing the cost themselves. I feel very lucky. Now I have a well-used 645Z that has a brand new shutter and sensor within it...
08-13-2020, 07:07 PM   #144
Pentaxian

All's well that ends well.
08-14-2020, 04:19 AM   #145
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

Glad that all has ended well. This has been quite the thread. Yeah, by the time they got finished with both repairs, it was pretty much manufactured all over again.

Stan
08-14-2020, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #146
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Yes indeed. Although the damage was not my fault, this issue could easily have dragged on unpleasantly with different parties disputing liability. Credit to C.R. Kennedy for getting this sorted out (not to mention the loaner) and, I suspect, wearing the cost themselves. I feel very lucky. Now I have a well-used 645Z that has a brand new shutter and sensor within it...
I'm thinking of sending a letter to C.R. Kennedy, copied to Pentax Japan, telling them how impressed we all are about their service. I feel like maybe, maybe, maybe if they hear from more customers like us in a positive way, Pentax Japan might take note....it's a hope, anyway.
08-14-2020, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I'm thinking of sending a letter to C.R. Kennedy, copied to Pentax Japan, telling them how impressed we all are about their service. I feel like maybe, maybe, maybe if they hear from more customers like us in a positive way, Pentax Japan might take note....it's a hope, anyway.
They also fixed my DA 16-85 free of charge a few years ago when an internal screw came loose and jammed the zooming, even though it was out of warranty. I've had only excellent service from them.
08-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
What a good idea - I will do the same!

Anyone have a good contact name/address in Pentax Japan so that we can be sure of it reaching the right people?
08-24-2020, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can now confirm that the camera seems to be functioning very well. Take a peek at the "Post your medium format photos thread" (page 992, currently the latest page) and you will see a shot taken of a Russian Orthodox Church in Sydney. This was my first serious shot with the camera since repairs were completed. Results are very good, in fact maybe even better than I remember them ever having been on my camera originally (that may just be an erroneous and subjective impression though); certainly the operation is very smooth (the sound made by the camera when shooting is more muted somehow).

I am hopeful that this will make the camera last for quite some years to come. We'll see!

Thanks to everyone for their support and empathy through this story :-)
08-31-2020, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
I can now confirm that the camera seems to be functioning very well. Take a peek at the "Post your medium format photos thread" (page 992, currently the latest page) and you will see a shot taken of a Russian Orthodox Church in Sydney. This was my first serious shot with the camera since repairs were completed. Results are very good, in fact maybe even better than I remember them ever having been on my camera originally (that may just be an erroneous and subjective impression though); certainly the operation is very smooth (the sound made by the camera when shooting is more muted somehow).
Even if subjective, your own enjoyment is increased.

Great outcome!