Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 82 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2020, 01:48 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
I spoke to them - they were absolutely definitive that, if I am right about what needs to be done, it will need to go to the Philippines. They don't do anything other than the most minor things to 645Zs within Australia. They also said that the Philippines facility hasn't been operating due to Covid-19 recently. So I could be in for a big wait. There seems to be no way of avoiding that...
That's a shame, not only a long wait is possible but the fact it will end up to the Philippines and back suggests expense as well.

I wonder if it's possible to buy parts and find some super nerd capable in such repairs...

05-12-2020, 05:19 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

645Z calamity - advice sought

On the other hand, Kennedy will be responsible for the shipping to and from the Philippines. If it goes astray on that link, it will be their insurance that has to cover it. That’s worth a little delay.

I have all-hazards “inland marine” insurance in my Pentax so that I won’t just be depending on the shipper’s (mostly ineffective) insurance during shipping.

Rick “insurance doesn’t cover maintenance, unfortunately” Denney
05-12-2020, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I wonder if it's possible to buy parts and find some super nerd capable in such repairs...

Well, I can't be sure, but I strongly suspect that the issue here (apart from whether I'd trust such a process) is obtaining a 645Z shutter in Australia. Before deciding to send the camera away, I spoke to a local camera repair place; they do a good job with more mainstream SLRs; I had a Canon 5Dii and Nikon D800E repaired there in years gone by, including a shutter repair on the 5Dii. But he simply said he cannot obtain the necessary parts.

So, I think it's the official route or nothing.

I might be able to try and get some parts on the internet and muck around that way, but I think I'd sooner get an official repair done and wait, painful as it is.

---------- Post added 05-13-20 at 09:04 AM ----------

Thank you again, everybody, for both your practical advice and your kind understanding. Being without the camera is painful, but knowing I am part of a community like this has cheered me up!

We'll see how long the whole thing takes.
05-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I spoke to them - they were absolutely definitive that, if I am right about what needs to be done, it will need to go to the Philippines. They don't do anything other than the most minor things to 645Zs within Australia. They also said that the Philippines facility hasn't been operating due to Covid-19 recently. So I could be in for a big wait. There seems to be no way of avoiding that...
You are best off sending to them,will miss seeing your pictures .Maybe in the mean time shoot some film. GOOD LUCK

05-12-2020, 04:49 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
You are best off sending to them,will miss seeing your pictures .Maybe in the mean time shoot some film. GOOD LUCK
Thanks, mate. I could indeed have shot film, except that I have done something rather silly. Over the last couple of years, I spent 18 months living back in England, before returning to Oz. On those trips, I decided to trim down what I was carrying internationally, so left my old film gear (67ii), various duplicative lenses and the old 645D in England. Would have been useful to have just now! They're at my mother's house and she is in isolation (because of various underlying health complaints that make her vulnerable if she gets Covid-19)...
05-13-2020, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, mate. I could indeed have shot film, except that I have done something rather silly. Over the last couple of years, I spent 18 months living back in England, before returning to Oz. On those trips, I decided to trim down what I was carrying internationally, so left my old film gear (67ii), various duplicative lenses and the old 645D in England. Would have been useful to have just now! They're at my mother's house and she is in isolation (because of various underlying health complaints that make her vulnerable if she gets Covid-19)...
Can you have her pack a body up and have a pickup at her house? She could do it contactless I'd bet.
05-13-2020, 08:04 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Can you have her pack a body up and have a pickup at her house? She could do it contactless I'd bet.
Great idea! Australia's mail service is nearly nonexistent. It needs to be shipped via a different carrier. Hopefully one that won't take months.

Other options could be to buy an used inexpensive film camera. Around here 35mm goes cheap. Or spend the time post processing images already taken. If Ed were here I could loan him any number of film or digital cameras.

Thanks,
barondla

05-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #38

Well, I can't be sure, but I strongly suspect that the issue here (apart from whether I'd trust such a process) is obtaining a 645Z shutter in Australia. Before deciding to send the camera away, I spoke to a local camera repair place; they do a good job with more mainstream SLRs; I had a Canon 5Dii and Nikon D800E repaired there in years gone by, including a shutter repair on the 5Dii. But he simply said he cannot obtain the necessary parts.

So, I think it's the official route or nothing.

I might be able to try and get some parts on the internet and muck around that way, but I think I'd sooner get an official repair done and wait, painful as it is.
Might be worth a query to Bellamy Hunt (Camera Repairs - Japan Camera Hunter) to explore the option of sending it to Japan using him as an agent. Of course that option too is complicated by the current shipping troubles, but he should be able to give you well-informed advice about whether you'd have anything to gain by going that route.
05-26-2020, 11:34 PM   #39

I have used CR Kennedy before, they are very professional, not sure how the lock down my impact repair times though. Hopefully they can do a shutter replacement in Australia.
05-27-2020, 02:56 AM - 3 Likes   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bit of an update on this. C.R. Kennedy have been very impressive so far...

Firstly, I sent the camera directly to their HQ in Melbourne. Within 2 days, they had looked at the camera and confirmed that the issue is indeed with the shutter. Replacing a shutter is not something they can do within Australia, so off to the Philippines with it. They despatched it rapidly and kept me informed of its progress (obviously made slower and more complex by Covid-19 impact on shipping). The camera is already with Pentax in the Philippines; they have examined it, confirmed that the camera needs a new shutter (and associated jobs) and quoted me for the work (which I have confirmed).

Communication has been very good from C.R. Kennedy.

It's frustrating, and I wish it had been possible to do the repair within Australia. But given that that isn't the case, I couldn't have asked for more attentive and efficient handling of the issue so far.

We will see how long the repair and shipping back to Oz take... I am not expecting it to be with me any time very soon.

The cost is AU$935.00 all in, by the way (including supplying a new eye cup and the required ring to attach it).

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 05-27-2020 at 04:07 PM.
05-27-2020, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In USD, that's a little over $600, which is reasonable, especially considering the associated jobs. You'd pay as much to have a nice wristwatch fully serviced these days.

Rick "hoping for a quick turnaround" Denney
05-27-2020, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

The fault is what I was expecting they would find. The rest of it, including the repair cost, is better than what I was expecting.

Stan
05-27-2020, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bit of an update on this. C.R. Kennedy have been very impressive so far...

Firstly, I sent the camera directly to their HQ in Melbourne. Within 2 days, they had looked at the camera and confirmed that the issue is indeed with the shutter. Replacing a shutter is not something they can do within Australia, so off to the Philippines with it. They despatched it rapidly and kept me informed of its progress (obviously made slower and more complex by Covid-19 impact on shipping). The camera is already with Pentax in the Philippines; they have examined it, confirmed that the camera needs a new shutter (and associated jobs) and quoted me for the work (which I have confirmed).

Communication has been very good from C.R. Kennedy.

It's frustrating, and I wish it had been possible to do the repair within Australia. But given that that isn't the case, I couldn't have asked for more attentive and efficient handling of the issue so far.

We will see how long the repair and shipping back to Oz takes... I am not expecting it to be with me any time very soon.

The cost is AU$935.00 all in, by the way (including supplying a new eye cup and the required ring to attach it).
Wow, so happy to hear about it all, thanks for the update. And I'd gladly pay that amount to get such a significant repair done on my Z! You've made me glad I got a K1 for backup....with P/S I could get by for a while professionally.
05-28-2020, 12:07 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Price sounds ok considering where it's going to, the repair and journey back. I'd want a 1yr warranty on the shutter tho.

Interesting to think how much some lesser equipment like the K-1's shutter repair/replacement might be. $900AUD is too much imo, I'd pick up a second hand lower shutter count one instead, but $900 for a 645Z seems worthwhile (but perhaps too much for the 645D).
05-28-2020, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The warranty thing is a good point, for sure. I will check!

As for the cost, I too think it's reasonable for equipment like the Z. If I get as much life/use out of the new one as I got from the original, I will consider myself well served. But the cost isn't justified in my head because it has to go abroad (that's not my fault but a result of the decisions made by Pentax / Hoya / C.R. Kennedy about where to have their repair facilities). It just seems a fair price for such a significant repair to equipment like this...